Davbell22602 first Electolysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I would get funny readings and then go back after the charger cooled then it would read fine like something that window with needle is getting stuck or hung up at times.

The small chargers like that can't run a continuous charge at the higher settings because there's no cooling fan. At 20 amps (or 30 on some models) it will operate for just a couple minutes before the thermal switch trips for a cool-down cycle. In 50 amp start mode it will trip in less than 15 seconds.

You'll have to run at 10 amps for continuous use or get one like HRPC posted that has a fan in it for use at 40 amps.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Damn it, I was hoping things would turn around on this project. Keep trying Dave.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Here's the 2nd try. Cleaned rebar with emoroy cloth. I had to start all over cause the water was too dirty. So I emptied the water and hosed down the intake before putting it back in the tub. This I only used 9 gallons of water to 9 tablespoons of washing soda.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The small chargers like that can't run a continuous charge at the higher settings because there's no cooling fan. At 20 amps (or 30 on some models) it will operate for just a couple minutes before the thermal switch trips for a cool-down cycle. In 50 amp start mode it will trip in less than 15 seconds.

You'll have to run at 10 amps for continuous use or get one like HRPC posted that has a fan in it for use at 40 amps.

Yeah, my small 2/10/50 would trip the internal breaker after about 30 seconds and never came back on until unplugged it to reset it. It ran for 10 hours straight at 10amp without issue and I think it did a damn good job on that 425 Olds block. I think I had better success on the 425 Olds than I did this head I did recently. But, I'll make a couple changes and do it again, cuz those Olds C heads are highly sought after and I know for a fact, worth a couple Benjis even as cores.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here's the 2nd try. Cleaned rebar with emoroy cloth. I had to start all over cause the water was too dirty. So I emptied the water and hosed down the intake before putting it back in the tub. This I only used 9 gallons of water to 9 tablespoons of washing soda.

What is all the white stuff??? Is the washing soda not disolving in the water???
Looks like it might be working this time. Do I see bubbles over by the rebar?

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
What is all the white stuff??? Is the washing soda not disolving in the water???
Looks like it might be working this time. Do I see bubbles over by the rebar?

Yea thats the washing soda. Yea wouldnt dissolve at all on the first try but this morning it was.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Here's what it looks like after 30min.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yea thats the washing soda. Yea wouldnt dissolve at all on the first try but this morning it was.

Did you put your hand in it and mix it up or aggitate it? I really needs to disolve and turn your water into electrolyte.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here's what it looks like after 30min.

It looks like you got the process working now, but I think your rebar is to small for that project. Do you have a foot long or so piece of channel or angle iron??? Try to finding something in a bigger mass. The bigger the material, the more cleaning power.
In your mind, consider your steel the rust magnet. The bigger piece you use, the more magnet surface you have and the better it will work. Rebar is great for small 5 gallon bucket items.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
It looks like you got the process working now, but I think your rebar is to small for that project. Do you have a foot long or so piece of channel or angle iron??? Try to finding something in a bigger mass. The bigger the material, the more cleaning power.
In your mind, consider your steel the rust magnet. The bigger piece you use, the more magnet surface you have and the better it will work. Rebar is great for small 5 gallon bucket items.

No. Nothing that short in angle iron. No room for it to sit at the bottom unless I clamp it like rebar to keep it from touching the intake. What about a 21 or 22 push mower blade?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
No. Nothing that short in angle iron. No room for it to sit at the bottom unless I clamp it like rebar to keep it from touching the intake. What about a 21 or 22 push mower blade?

The blades will work good but I would use 1 on each side of the intake, connect a jumper wire to all the electrodes then atach the charger to 1 of them, that way your pulling from all 4 sides NOT just the one LITTLE area on 1 side.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Ok, I replaced the rebar with what looks like is galvanized tool I made in high school. It not aluminum cause its magnetic. But since doing that negative is giving off a spark every now and then but the toolbox isnt touching the intake.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Galvanized metal probably is NOT going to work, Also Galvanized metal puts off some kind of gas when your welding it So it makes me wonder if its even safe to use. others will no more asbout that then i do.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Galvanized metal probably is NOT going to work, Also Galvanized metal puts off some kind of gas when your welding it So it makes me wonder if its even safe to use. others will no more asbout that then i do.

Yep your galavanized doesnt work. Will start this all over again when I can get into the yard and get a piece 2 foot angle iron.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn: