Converting 2wd SB to 4wd !!! Is it worth it???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Nice wheels man. If had money I would them for when I do 2wd to 4wd frame swap.

don't do a frame swap, bolt the 4wd hangers and crossmembers to your existing rails. much simpler that way.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
don't do a frame swap, bolt the 4wd hangers and crossmembers to your existing rails. much simpler that way.

For real? That's possible in a Squarebody frame? No cutting, welding or drilling into the 2wd frame to convert to a 2wd square to 4wd straight front axle??? I've been told the 2wd and 4wd drive frame are very differant and that is not worth the time and effort even if you are a good fabricator and welder that the best thing to do is find a 4wd rolling chassis? :popcorn:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Or are we talking about his 90 C2500 to be converted??? :popcorn: :popcorn:

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
For real? That's possible in a Squarebody frame? No cutting, welding or drilling into the 2wd frame to convert to a 2wd square to 4wd straight front axle??? I've been told the 2wd and 4wd drive frame are very differant and that is not worth the time and effort even if you are a good fabricator and welder that the best thing to do is find a 4wd rolling chassis? :popcorn:

It's been done many times, but you have to drill most of the holes. It really helps to have the donor frame so you have all the brackets and trinkets you will need, plus you can measure exactly where the holes get drilled. IIRC, the engine cross member does need modified slightly.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
It's been done many times, but you have to drill most of the holes. It really helps to have the donor frame so you have all the brackets and trinkets you will need, plus you can measure exactly where the holes get drilled. IIRC, the engine cross member does need modified slightly.

I can solid front axle conversion kit for $599. All hardware is premade/predrilled for the holes on the frame.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

I don't want to derail and hijack his Wheel/Tires thread, but it would be a great thread topic to start, cuz I'd like to get to the bottom of it once in for all. So I'll be moving some posts and starting a thread.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have been interested in converting a 2wd Squarebody to 4wd for a long time. The little research I did, I came to the conclusion, its not worth it, and was advised to find a 4wd rolling chassis and transfer the 2wd Body to the 4wd frame and acquire a 4x4 cab hump or body lift so the taller hump is not needed.
If anyone has seen it done, or has done it, I'd be interested in what all is involved to do so. I also have a C20 88 Burb I'd like to convert to 4wd and I do have an 85 K10 truck wo motor and trans that would make a great donor to convert the Burb to 4wd if its the least bit feasible. I'll need lots of popcorn for this topic. So lets here all the opinions and experiences.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I can solid front axle conversion kit for $599. All hardware is premade/predrilled for the holes on the frame.

Well then for your truck, being a 90 that OEM is IFS, I'd do that then. Then you can get rid of the weak IFS suspension and axle. No fabrication involved huh? Its all bolts in with grade 8 fasteners I assume? hmmmm I'd be interested in the conversion someday too. But for today and in this forum, I'ld like to see where someone did a 2wd to 4wd in a Squarebody. :superhack:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

hmm, and it looks like its $124 for a Tcase crossmember too. Kinda getting up there in price. But, if you consider you are also getting a 3inch suspension lift out of it too, its still not all that bad. A bit pricey, but if its engineered right and bolts right it, and you want a Sraight Axle GMT400, then its probably the way to go. The cheaper way out would be the frame swap, but then you are not getting the lift and you have the dreaded IFS system.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

I was responding to the SB swap question. But yeah, solid axle is the way to go on a new body 2wd.

I have been interested in converting a 2wd Squarebody to 4wd for a long time. The little research I did, I came to the conclusion, its not worth it, and was advised to find a 4wd rolling chassis and transfer the 2wd Body to the 4wd frame and acquire a 4x4 cab hump or body lift so the taller hump is not needed.
If anyone has seen it done, or has done it, I'd be interested in what all is involved to do so. I also have a C20 88 Burb I'd like to convert to 4wd and I do have an 85 K10 truck wo motor and trans that would make a great donor to convert the Burb to 4wd if its the least bit feasible. I'll need lots of popcorn for this topic. So lets here all the opinions and experiences.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

It's another one of those things were everyone has there own opinion. The frame swap is simpler, but may involve more work overall. It also requires lots of buddies to help you out.

Most people don't recommend converting the frame simply because they hate cutting the frame rivets and drilling holes. But it can be done by one person without any help. It's really not a big deal if you are good with a torch and have a good drill and bits.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I was responding to the SB swap question. But yeah, solid axle is the way to go on a new body 2wd.

It's another one of those things were everyone has there own opinion. The frame swap is simpler, but may involve more work overall. It also requires lots of buddies to help you out.

Most people don't recommend converting the frame simply because they hate cutting the frame rivets and drilling holes. But it can be done by one person without any help. It's really not a big deal if you are good with a torch and have a good drill and bits.

But, if you don't have a frame to swap or the wrong frame, like for example. Form what you are saying, I can take my 85 K10 pick up as a donor and convert my 88 C20 Burb to a K20 Burb with the right front axle hubs.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E

Dave ole buddy yes the kit is 599 but that is NOT a complete bolt on kit. Meaning that is NOT everything you will need.
Dont forget you will need.
1. Springs
2. Solid front axle from a FORD if you want to utilise the gm Transfer case
3. Brake Lines
4. Driveshaft
5. Hubs for a chevy
6. Possably will need to regear one or both of the differentials
7. crossover steering components
8. abunch of misc. that adds up
9. a case of beer
10. another case of beer
well all be dam it might just be affordable, given your 20% employe discount at wal-mart for the brake fluid and 2 cases of beer :Moon:

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
I don't want to derail and hijack his Wheel/Tires thread, but it would be a great thread topic to start, cuz I'd like to get to the bottom of it once in for all. So I'll be moving some posts and starting a thread.

i was gonna say, what the hell? i didn't start this thread! :lol:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli