Converting 2wd SB to 4wd !!! Is it worth it???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Most people don't recommend converting the frame simply because they hate cutting the frame rivets and drilling holes. But it can be done by one person without any help. It's really not a big deal if you are good with a torch and have a good drill and bits.

air hammer and a rivet splitter is way easier. i can completely strip a frame to bare rails and brackets in about 20 minutes.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
8. abunch of misc. that adds up
9. a case of beer
10. another case of beer

"a bunch of misc. that adds up" is the understatement of the centrury...

having done the swap, i can tell you 2 cases of beer isn't half of what is required.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Re guarding the square body frame question... My dad said the frame rails are the same between 4 and 2 wheel drive. I looked over both frames and they do look the same but you will have to drill holes. My good buddy Trinity who I tried to get to join this site has an odd front end in his k10. He has spring hangers welded to his frame and we always talked **** about his truck being a converted 2wd, very confusing.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
i was gonna say, what the hell? i didn't start this thread! :lol:

Yeah I started it, but when I transfered those other threads back into this thread, it puts them in order by time and date, so yes, you did too start it. :roflbow::roflbow::roflbow:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Dave ole buddy yes the kit is 599 but that is NOT a complete bolt on kit. Meaning that is NOT everything you will need.
Dont forget you will need.
1. Springs
2. Solid front axle from a FORD if you want to utilise the gm Transfer case
3. Brake Lines
4. Driveshaft
5. Hubs for a chevy
6. Possably will need to regear one or both of the differentials
7. crossover steering components
9. a case of beer
10. another case of beer
well all be dam it might just be affordable, given your 20% employe discount at wal-mart for the brake fluid and 2 cases of beer :Moon:

I got to thinking about that last night after I went to bed and then came to the conclusion, that would be a very expensive build. Sure you get the FREE built in 3in lift kit and the strength, but for this kind of money, you can find a 4x4 Squarebody and be ahead of the game. I was impressed with the ride in the 85K1500, I think I might just do away with my 2wd Squares all together. I like a truck to feel like a truck.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
that kit is garbage. i owned the first one, and sent it back because it wasn't even close to fitting right. how soon are you wanting to do this swap? i have the Off Road Unlimited kit on my 93 C2500, and i'm seriously considring parting the truck out...

I dont know yet. The 88 has engine that going in the 90. I'm getting the rollling chassis for $200 or less.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Dave ole buddy yes the kit is 599 but that is NOT a complete bolt on kit. Meaning that is NOT everything you will need.
Dont forget you will need.
1. Springs
2. Solid front axle from a FORD if you want to utilise the gm Transfer case
3. Brake Lines
4. Driveshaft
5. Hubs for a chevy
6. Possably will need to regear one or both of the differentials
7. crossover steering components
9. a case of beer
10. another case of beer
well all be dam it might just be affordable, given your 20% employe discount at wal-mart for the brake fluid and 2 cases of beer :Moon:

Sounds I'm better off with rolling 4x4 chassis. I got help to transfer the cab over to the 4x4 frame. All I need would a manual transmission, transfercase, 4x4 floor shifter, and both driveshafts.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
They had a show on Xtreme 4x4 this weekend on IFS to SFA on a Blazer and they made it look easy lol. Of course with a nice garage, all the tools you'd ever need, plasma cutter, etc it would be substantially easier. A couple things noteworthy was they used the high pinion Ford Dana 60. With the high pinion you dont have as much trouble with the front driveshaft angles. You just have to put it in your mind its a "best of the Dana 60s" upgrade, not a Ford upgrade lol. Secondly you have to consider your front output on your t-case. If it is slip yoke you will have to change your t-case. They make SYE kits but if you're going to go that far it is just as cheap/easy to swap the whole t-case out. That Blazer looked friggin badass when they were done. One way to get around messing with the engine cradle is to lift it a good 6". If you tried to just go with stock springs or mild lift, on the trail you might have some contact between the axle and crossmember. You might get by with 4" lift for a mild trail rig or street queen, but wouldnt even consider stock height unless you look at it real good while doing it. At the end of the show, the comparison of the SAS verses a 6" IFS lift, they came out about even or a little cheaper, depending on lift manufacturer, in the neighborhood of $1800. This even included the rear 14b ff swap! The front had 4.10 gears and the rear 3.73 so they swapped the rear to 4.11, close enough to not cause any damage. The rear gears were cheaper to swap anyway. It was one of the better shows I've seen on there.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I dont know yet. The 88 has engine that going in the 90. I'm getting the rollling chassis for $200 or less.

Sounds I'm better off with rolling 4x4 chassis. I got help to transfer the cab over to the 4x4 frame. All I need would a manual transmission, transfercase, 4x4 floor shifter, and both driveshafts.

Now you're thinking Dave. I'm with you on that. IMO, The body swap to the $200 rolling chassis is more likley to get completed, and alot cheaper. That would be the route I'd choose if were me.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
They had a show on Xtreme 4x4 this weekend on IFS to SFA on a Blazer and they made it look easy lol. Of course with a nice garage, all the tools you'd ever need, plasma cutter, etc it would be substantially easier. A couple things noteworthy was they used the high pinion Ford Dana 60. With the high pinion you dont have as much trouble with the front driveshaft angles. You just have to put it in your mind its a "best of the Dana 60s" upgrade, not a Ford upgrade lol. Secondly you have to consider your front output on your t-case. If it is slip yoke you will have to change your t-case. They make SYE kits but if you're going to go that far it is just as cheap/easy to swap the whole t-case out. That Blazer looked friggin badass when they were done. One way to get around messing with the engine cradle is to lift it a good 6". If you tried to just go with stock springs or mild lift, on the trail you might have some contact between the axle and crossmember. You might get by with 4" lift for a mild trail rig or street queen, but wouldnt even consider stock height unless you look at it real good while doing it. At the end of the show, the comparison of the SAS verses a 6" IFS lift, they came out about even or a little cheaper, depending on lift manufacturer, in the neighborhood of $1800. This even included the rear 14b ff swap! The front had 4.10 gears and the rear 3.73 so they swapped the rear to 4.11, close enough to not cause any damage. The rear gears were cheaper to swap anyway. It was one of the better shows I've seen on there.

I wouldn't be afraid to use the Dana 60, made by Dana Corp that was built to go in a Ford. IF its high pinion, its probbaly a Chevy Dana 60 turned over upside down and some forward gears put in it. :happy175: Think about it, if you flip a Chevy Dana 60 over it would be high pinion. :roflbow:

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
I wouldn't be afraid to use the Dana 60, made by Dana Corp that was built to go in a Ford. IF its high pinion, its probbaly a Chevy Dana 60 turned over upside down and some forward gears put in it. :happy175: Think about it, if you flip a Chevy Dana 60 over it would be high pinion. :roflbow:

and it will also drive the opposite direction than the other axle... and blow up from leaking all of its lube out the vent.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
and it will also drive the opposite direction than the other axle... and blow up from leaking all of its lube out the vent.

Why I mention forward gears. Meaning forward for flipping the axle.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

They don't blow up, they seize :rofl:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That really wouldn't be a bad conversion C4 talks about using the Ford High Pinion front D60, as mentioned you could get some height out of it wo dshaft angle issues. But, you'd have to do Left side drop Tcase too. You'd almost be better off finding a Ford truck to make the conversion. Of course there should be plenty in the junkyard. I see Ford D60's on CL frequently, but they are snatched up quick if priced right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31