Clunking when turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
Hey! Took the ole 84 K10 out for a 2 hour round trip yesterday and I noticed when leaving the orange hardware store that when turning and driving there was a clunking type noise coming from the front. (sounded like driver's side)

I'm thinking this is probably my u-joint going to my wheel hub right? I looked at it and holy cow it's rusted looking. What do you think? I can get pictures if neccessary

Reaction score
First Name
dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
scariest part i would check first is ball joints. then its on to loose shock, ujoint, spring bush, loose rivets, etc. but ball joints first for safety. were your hubs locked?

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
scariest part i would check first is ball joints. then its on to loose shock, ujoint, spring bush, loose rivets, etc. but ball joints first for safety. were your hubs locked?

It's not the type of clunking that could be ball joints. It's a rotating clunking noise that changes directly with wheel speed on flat even pavement.

I have the factory auto hubs.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Do you mean auto hubs or all time 4wd. My dad has all time 4wd and a TERRIBLE clunking especially when turning and on pavement and its his front u joints.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
Do you mean auto hubs or all time 4wd. My dad has all time 4wd and a TERRIBLE clunking especially when turning and on pavement and its his front u joints.

Auto hubs. When I'm in 2wd the front isn't locked in at all. I'm thinking it's the u joint right at the wheel hub. It's super rusty and doesn't look very good.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The u joint shouldnt be rotating I dont think. Unless I misunderstand how that system works. My hubs, unlocked, do not rotate the shaft(which has a ujoint) although the shaft still turns with wheel direction

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
The u joint shouldnt be rotating I dont think. Unless I misunderstand how that system works. My hubs, unlocked, do not rotate the shaft(which has a ujoint) although the shaft still turns with wheel direction

So you're saying the hub itself when in 2wd won't let the u joint rotate. I'll have to look at that. I guess the hub being unlocked wouldn't let the axle turn. It's pretty loud and just started. I wonder what else it could be if it's not the u joint.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The u joint should be able to move horizontally, left and right. but it shouldnt rotate forward or rear, I wouldnt think. Theres no power from the transfer case. Unless you are in 4wd and the hubs arent locked, then a shaft would turn but not in relation to the wheel. Unlesss LSD. What im saying is, if your transfer case is in 2wd, it should not be turning the driveshaft to the front differential. If your hubs are not locked, your differential in the front should not turn nor should its driveshaft. If they are, there is something wrong somewhere

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
If the hubs are working correctly the shafts should not be turning. However, you may want to have somebody look at the axles or front driveshaft while you move the truck to see if one of them is hung up.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
If the hubs are working correctly the shafts should not be turning. However, you may want to have somebody look at the axles or front driveshaft while you move the truck to see if one of them is hung up.

Will do. I've got to take it to a buddy's to have him time the engine, so I'll have him help me with this too. Thanks everybody for your help

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Another trick I've used when working alone is to paint a spot on the universal or driveshaft. Move the truck and look if the paint spots moved.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
I went out and looked at my truck. I didn't have anyone else to help me, but I rocked the truck back and forth and the front axles weren't turning at all. So I don't know it's that rules out the front axle u-joint, but I guess it does.

What else could cause this noise? It drove fine while making the noise. It didn't shake or jerk or anything.

Here's a pic of the front driver's side u joint just for funsies

You must be registered for see images attach

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Lug nuts all tight? Does applying the brakes change the noise?

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
you do need ujoints. see the rust expelled from the bearing cup! did your truck sit underwater for awhile? looks like barnacles. lol check brake caliper.

I just redid my front brakes (the caliper pins were sticking, causing my back brake pads to wear all the way through. No, it has never sat underwater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade