Car audio question thread!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
alright so basically i know basically every thing about automotive audio, and i figured i would save some time and make this thread, whatever questions you guys have feel free to post up here and ask rather then making a whole thread. dont be affraid to PM me either, i wont be around during the day since school started but i check multiple times every night and youll always get a quick answer!

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
alright so basically i know basically every thing about automotive audio, and i figured i would save some time and make this thread, whatever questions you guys have feel free to post up here and ask rather then making a whole thread. dont be affraid to PM me either, i wont be around during the day since school started but i check multiple times every night and youll always get a quick answer!

in your other post you are confused that 160 watts was enough to make the subs hit hard? a simple understanding of speaker sensitivity and the wattage to decibel relationship explains this. not to be an ass or anything cuz this site is all about helpin other square owners out! you wanna help, its just that claiming to know basically everything is a hefty claim

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yepper !!! I agree. The minute you THINK you know EVERYTHING about something, is the minute you quit learning more about it, and have a biggo tendency to make an ass outta yourself. I don't care who you are, you can be the best in your business but you still don't know EVERYTHING and can always be taught more or learn new tips and tricks.

That is exactly what this forum is about. None of us here know everything, but I used to say between all of us, we damn sure do. Well, that isn't true either. We found out not long ago, that gas tank filler pipes are different. Whooda Thunk It??? But a member went to hell and back trying to get his situation handled. But, sharing his frustration, NOW we all know about that. Frankentruck is who I'm referring to.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Yepper !!! I agree. The minute you THINK you know EVERYTHING about something, is the minute you quit learning more about it, and have a biggo tendency to make an ass outta yourself. I don't care who you are, you can be the best in your business but you still don't know EVERYTHING and can always be taught more or learn new tips and tricks.

That is exactly what this forum is about. None of us here know everything, but I used to say between all of us, we damn sure do. Well, that isn't true either. We found out not long ago, that gas tank filler pipes are different. Whooda Thunk It??? But a member went to hell and back trying to get his situation handled. But, sharing his frustration, NOW we all know about that. Frankentruck is who I'm referring to.

now that we've realized that the site doesnt know everything we can continue to learn! haha but i wont say im an expert, and if i ever have forgive me :crazy: im here to give my .02 and if im wrong or need correction please call me out! i know ive probably chimed in a few too many times myself in the past but i know ive learned a TON

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You're exactly right. I can honestly say, I know a little about alot, and alot about a little, and I've learned hella lot here in the last 2 years.

And that is one thing this forum has always been steered and geared to do, is to allow everyone to speak their experiences or ask questions no matter how dumb, and when someone is wrong, they can be corrected like an adult in a proper fashion. Not put down or called stupid etc. I've been wrong about **** plenty. Partially due to been a long time since I dealt with some of it, partially because of newer technology, partially because I was told or taught wrong and I'd expect to be corrected. Noone wants to make an ass out of theirself passing bad info no matter the reason.
Point is, we are here to teach and learn without being put down. Kinda tough to keep patience at times on some matters but still, we're not pirate4x4 and not going to be.

Why the owner of that forum allows what they do there, I have no clue, but I think they run off more members than they have regulars, and the sad parts is, it's only a handful of guys who do it. If that went on here, they'd be perma banned and IP addy's blocked.

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
theres a reason i said basically everything, im also not confused on it either i realized my mistake literally right after i made my other post, i have a three inch ring binder of audio info that i compiled about a year ago and i went back through it and read what i was concerned about, the only reason i was confused is because its been about a year since ive dont anything related to audio so i just needed to go through my info, i am in no way an expert but i can deffinatly help anyone who needs it, i actually feel pretty stupid about my confusion about the other thing, also im sorry if i sound like an ******* i had a really bad day.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
theres a reason i said basically everything, im also not confused on it either i realized my mistake literally right after i made my other post, i have a three inch ring binder of audio info that i compiled about a year ago and i went back through it and read what i was concerned about, the only reason i was confused is because its been about a year since ive dont anything related to audio so i just needed to go through my info, i am in no way an expert but i can deffinatly help anyone who needs it, i actually feel pretty stupid about my confusion about the other thing, also im sorry if i sound like an ******* i had a really bad day.

nah ur all good. bad day? check out the rant thread haha. now a 3 ring binder with all kinds of info? i wish i was that organized... but the thing ive noticed about audio is that 1. beyond the basics there is no consensus on what is best for anything, especially sound quality 2. very few TRULY know what they are doing, and i dont fall into that category either. Unlike engine work there arent just tangible and calculable results. new exhaust. 10 hp gain? it worked. textile dome tweeter having smoother sound vs metallic or mylar? on axis tweets in kick panel vs a-pillar and sound stage? harder to prove....

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
nah ur all good. bad day? check out the rant thread haha. now a 3 ring binder with all kinds of info? i wish i was that organized... but the thing ive noticed about audio is that 1. beyond the basics there is no consensus on what is best for anything, especially sound quality 2. very few TRULY know what they are doing, and i dont fall into that category either. Unlike engine work there arent just tangible and calculable results. new exhaust. 10 hp gain? it worked. textile dome tweeter having smoother sound vs metallic or mylar? on axis tweets in kick panel vs a-pillar and sound stage? harder to prove....

yea a three ring binder with tons of **** i printed it all and i would put it in there with a sticky not on the first page saying what it was and id skip through to witch ever subject i needed info on, and yea, theres no solid ground behind the increases and differences in equipment, the only true solid fact about car audio is that "you get what you pay for" and i mean that sentence in the most literal of terms.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
yea a three ring binder with tons of **** i printed it all and i would put it in there with a sticky not on the first page saying what it was and id skip through to witch ever subject i needed info on, and yea, theres no solid ground behind the increases and differences in equipment, the only true solid fact about car audio is that "you get what you pay for" and i mean that sentence in the most literal of terms.

exactly, you do get what you pay for. but that is split between hype and actual performance. Jl is the perfect example. superior quality, high prices. they are overpriced due to hype. of course nobody agrees but half say its overpriced.

Zombeeman

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I have a question has anyone put a double din touchscreen in and where did you put it? I want to put one in my 87 suburban but I want it where the radio is currently located.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Ive thought that if you slide the Heater controls up into the storge spot, that then you would be able to use the heater spot and radio spot for a radio.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I have a question has anyone put a double din touchscreen in and where did you put it? I want to put one in my 87 suburban but I want it where the radio is currently located.

You'd get the same results with less dash work going with cutting the stock dash for a standard DIN size unit with the flip up screen. Every considered one of those?

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
You'd get the same results with less dash work going with cutting the stock dash for a standard DIN size unit with the flip up screen. Every considered one of those?

the work may be a little more but id go with the dual din. less moving parts to break and its an awkward spot for that to be fliping out in my opinion. also ive seen the dual din before in a square and it looked nice in that spot

Zombeeman

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I already have a single din in there but I came across a double din kenwood with all thegoodies for $100 with a flip down monitor for the back seats so I couldnt pass it up.I've decided to do it so I'll try and get some pics up when I'm done

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
Hahaha !! Well do I dare to ask my question after reading some of this oh what the hell !! My system ... 2 Memphis 10s in a ban pass box sound amazing ! I have 2 6x9 and speakers in each door ! And all new wire ran from the radio it's a JVC KDR600 ... Seems that's it just won't push those speakers to make the voice and treble loud ! So ... I don't really know how to make the other speakers louder besides a amp... And I guess that would work but don't wana spend it so !! I guess I answered my own question ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512