Can I rebuild it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
For $40 I would go get it then tear it down and make my choice after I saw how bad it was. Worst case you can make yourself a mancave table. When it comes to proper machine work the price can add up quick so depending on what I saw and what my goals were a new crate motor or a known running junkyard motor would be next on my list.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
^^^I agree. And if you can offer the $25 and get it even better. You wouldn't have spent that much so if it doesn't look good, just let it go. There is a very good lesson in the whole trying to save a buck when fixing up and/or upgrading your car. Sometimes it works out beautifully, and you can't believe how well what you did turned out for the money, and sometimes it doesn't work out worth a **** to the point of having to redo something and spend more money so it'll be right, look good, and/or be safe.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Thanks for all the replies. And thank you @Gorgeb. The rebuild will not happen until my truck is where I want it and the trans seal fixed, it will actually be something to take apart and learn about, if that makes sense.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
For $40 I would go get it then tear it down and make my choice after I saw how bad it was. Worst case you can make yourself a mancave table. When it comes to proper machine work the price can add up quick so depending on what I saw and what my goals were a new crate motor or a known running junkyard motor would be next on my list.
you don't know how bad I want a engine block table

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
No too much with your story but not too far off.
My ls6 trans am had a fuel injector leaking, no code, started it up one feb. morning and it chucked the rod. Had a buddy make a deal. He welds for a living. He offered to weld the block up for free but if it could not be used, he would get the block. He welded it up. It couldnt be used (cost of sleeving and engine guy of course wouldnt warranty anything) so he got a free ls1 block with 4 pistons to use as a table for their shop.

Hashtag:FreeEngineBlockTable

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Ask if you can pull the pan and have a look see b4 buying

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Yes but I cant tear it down all the way until I can get the broken bolts out of the trans holes and put better ones in so they wont snap. Any tips on how to get the Engine stand tight enough not the engine bolts but the bolts on the stand?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yes but I cant tear it down all the way until I can get the broken bolts out of the trans holes and put better ones in so they wont snap. Any tips on how to get the Engine stand tight enough not the engine bolts but the bolts on the stand?
I usually bolt the stand together then weld it together. Makes even a cheap one a bit more worth while. I won't use them unless it has a 1/2 ton rating (1000lbs)

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Okay thanks!

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Depending on what type of engine stand you have, i just bolted it straight to the stand from the engine hoist.

Had to trim down a few bolts to be just short enough to engage almost all the threads in the block without bottoming out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising