Pinion nut real loose, can I tighten it back up for about 100 miles of driving? then rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsl_man

Reaction score
First Name
gene
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My 1st post here.

1985 K10 Found pinion nut loose and moves around alot. Leaking oil is how i found it. Bought this truck recently so i do not know any history and cant find out it seems. Can i tighten this up and drive it just around town before rebuilding. I'll have to order everything to rebuild. plan to go with lower gears front and back.

Looking up vids and manuals (Gathering Info) to prepare myself.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
The pinon nut on a differential? I would not operate it under power without at least a thorough inspection. It's not something to fck around with. If it jams while you are "just driving around town", the best case is it goes home on a hook. Worst case is it still goes home on a hook but with added expense and hassle of needlessly damaged equipment, or worse.

C'mon man, tighten up. Just do it right up front and save yourself the needless pain.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My 1st post here.

1985 K10 Found pinion nut loose and moves around alot. Leaking oil is how i found it. Bought this truck recently so i do not know any history and cant find out it seems. Can i tighten this up and drive it just around town before rebuilding. I'll have to order everything to rebuild. plan to go with lower gears front and back.

Looking up vids and manuals (Gathering Info) to prepare myself.
Is just the nut loose or the Yoke? You can tighten it down just enough to eliminate the play and limp it around a bit. I wouldn't get on the highway with it. Very likely the bearing and races are shot. If it gets hot and seizes up on you well then you might be taking an uber to your destination. Rebuilding the diff's are fairly involved and requires a few special tools and knowledge.

tsl_man

Reaction score
First Name
gene
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The yoke was loose, and the pinion was loose also. Just pulled it off. I'll just leave it parked and rebuild it. Not going to do it all by myself, i have a friend who has done a bunch of these over the years with good results so far and he is gonna coach me. I have 2 to rebuild. Another truck with the same issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005