Cam swaps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I swapped a cam and lifters in my 78 K15 at a little truckstop in Wills Point Texas, in about 4 hours and didn't take anything off but the radiator.

I used only hand tools and had to walk to the parts store like 2 miles away lol.

Forums love to get carried away, pull the radiator and have at it.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I swapped a cam and lifters in my 78 K15 at a little truckstop in Wills Point Texas, in about 4 hours and didn't take anything off but the radiator.

I used only hand tools and had to walk to the parts store like 2 miles away lol.

Do tell how you replaced the lifters without removing the intake. My brain cannot picture how it is possible. It sounds like your situation was out of desperation, whereas, having the vehicle at home affords the ability to take your time and do the extra work to make it a more complete undertaking.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Do tell how you replaced the lifters without removing the intake. My brain cannot picture how it is possible. It sounds like your situation was out of desperation, whereas, having the vehicle at home affords the ability to take your time and do the extra work to make it a more complete undertaking.

I pulled the carb, intake, distributor, waterpump, alternator.. If you want a write up.

What I didn't do was pull the engine or front clip. And it took me 4 hours, including the walk to and from the parts store.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I pulled the carb, intake, distributor, waterpump, alternator.. If you want a write up.

What I didn't do was pull the engine or front clip. And it took me 4 hours, including the walk to and from the parts store.

You said only the radiator came out, so I was waiting for a really cool story of how you pulled it off. But you did it via option one by removing everything that needs to come off but leaving the engine in the truck...lol... No write up needed... :cheers:

I'm still on board with the option two method of removing the engine. :Big Laugh:

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
You said only the radiator came out, so I was waiting for a really cool story of how you pulled it off. But you did it via option one by removing everything that needs to come off but leaving the engine in the truck...lol... No write up needed... :cheers:

I'm still on board with the option two method of removing the engine. :Big Laugh:

They do legitimately make a tool thats essentially a threaded rod with a magnet on the end, you drop it through the pushrod hole and hold the lifter up, but I don't trust that.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I wouldn't trust it either. If something drops down you have a whole lot more work that could've been easily avoided by not cutting corners.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I wouldn't trust it either. If something drops down you have a whole lot more work that could've been easily avoided by not cutting corners.

I kinda wonder if you couldn't just leave a lifter laying in the oil pan though lol.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I won't be testing that theory. I delegate it to someone else :rotflmao:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Forums have nothing to do with it. Last time I swapped a cam in the truck, my back hated life and staying off the internet wouldn't have made it feel any better, lol.

You say you swapped the cam at a truck stop. I'm assuming you flattened a lobe? Did you not drop the oil pan and clean all the grit out of it?

I'm not saying it's faster to pull the engine. Far from it. It's just so much easier to get the job done and done correctly without frustration.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Forums have nothing to do with it. Last time I swapped a cam in the truck, my back hated life and staying off the internet wouldn't have made it feel any better, lol.

You say you swapped the cam at a truck stop. I'm assuming you flattened a lobe? Did you not drop the oil pan and clean all the grit out of it?

I'm not saying it's faster to pull the engine. Far from it. It's just so much easier to get the job done and done correctly without frustration.

I get that it's easier, but it's hardly completely necessary, it's just nice. All engine work is easy when it's sitting on the ground lol.

I lost three lobes lol. That was a good day. I did not drop the pan, I just ran some dollar store oil through it twice and continued on back to Ohio.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I over revved a 355 once, bent a couple push rods and scarfed the plunger on a lifter, used a skinny magnet through the push rod hole, and another through the distributor hole on intake to extract both the little piece of push rod in the lifter valley and the damaged lifter, and then reversed the process to put a new lifter in.. wasn't the best of methods or ideas, but at 17 years old I justified it and that engine still ran quite well after it was put back together and long after I sold the vehicle. desperate times (and teenage pocket books Lol) call for desperate measures sometimes.. :smoke2:

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I over revved a 355 once, bent a couple push rods and scarfed the plunger on a lifter, used a skinny magnet through the push rod hole, and another through the distributor hole on intake to extract both the little piece of push rod in the lifter valley and the damaged lifter, and then reversed the process to put a new lifter in.. wasn't the best of methods or ideas, but at 17 years old I justified it and that engine still ran quite well after it was put back together and long after I sold the vehicle. desperate times (and teenage pocket books Lol) call for desperate measures sometimes.. :smoke2:

Exactly like what l, I've been there multiple times.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
That's what I love about this site. Ask a simple question, and get the answer and than some. Me I wanted to do a simple tune up, ended up building a shop, than doing a total frame off restore on not one but two trucks. LOL. Your cam swap is going to cost you 35 grand by the time your done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
That's what I love about this site. Ask a simple question, and get the answer and than some. Me I wanted to do a simple tune up, ended up building a shop, than doing a total frame off restore on not one but two trucks. LOL. Your cam swap is going to cost you 35 grand by the time your done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
$35 grand is the tune up price . Cam swap has to be a lot higher lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising