Cam swaps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I'm on the pull it side. Agreed it can be done in the vehicle, but as mentioned, it is a pain. Even if you're body is flexible you will be wishing you'd pulled it after a few hours crawling in and out of and leaning and reaching around the engine bay. On the plus side, while it's out you can re-seal the engine and/or fix/replace anything that may need it while it's out as well as clean the engine bay if you want to. And you can clean and paint the engine too. Having a clean engine that doesn't leak is always nice.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
I thought about pulling the motor or front clip and I decided against the motor because if I’m gonna do that I’m just gonna put a crate motor in and I don’t wanna pull the front end because my truck just spent 6 months in the body shop and I don’t wanna scratch the fenders or anything by taking them on and off. The top of this motor has to come apart anyways as it has a blown head gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I thought about pulling the motor or front clip and I decided against the motor because if I’m gonna do that I’m just gonna put a crate motor in and I don’t wanna pull the front end because my truck just spent 6 months in the body shop and I don’t wanna scratch the fenders or anything by taking them on and off. The top of this motor has to come apart anyways as it has a blown head gasket.

Makes sense, that's why I try to do all my engine stuff first, paint last, but stuff happens too.

You must be registered for see images attach

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Makes sense, that's why I try to do all my engine stuff first, paint last, but stuff happens too.

You must be registered for see images attach
Well my original plans didn’t involve doing anything to the engine for a while but since the head gasket went I figured I should just do it now.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Is it just a head gasket or is the engine tired? If the bottom end is solid, redoing the top end is much cheaper than a new engine. But if the bottom end isn't up to task redoing the top end may be bad for the bottom end. I've refreshed the top end on a few engines with solid bottom ends and the results were favorable. If you're leaning towards a new engine anyhow, go for it and either swap in the cam of your choice and void the warranty, or wait to swap it in after the warranty.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
That works great on a nice clean truck the comes apart nicely, mine does not and I know if I start pulling damaged parts of they are not going back on. Next thing I know this simple cam swap just turned into a frame off restomod. My head and cam swap already turned into a vortec serp swap with 130 amp alt, working ac, electric fan, I was trying to figure out why the cruise doesnt work and the damn thing isnt put together yet. oh and the header install.
It’s the whole snowball effect thing isn’t it the coolest?!?

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size

I can deal with it when its in my garage but, my truck doesn't fit and have enough room to work on so its at my brother in laws garage, so it has to get done quickly.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350

It's the bees knees!! I am so looking forward to the giant snowball that gets created when I delve into Crusty Biscuit! NOT!! :crazy:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
That works great on a nice clean truck the comes apart nicely, mine does not and I know if I start pulling damaged parts of they are not going back on. Next thing I know this simple cam swap just turned into a frame off restomod. My head and cam swap already turned into a vortec serp swap with 130 amp alt, working ac, electric fan, I was trying to figure out why the cruise doesnt work and the damn thing isnt put together yet. oh and the header install.

lol I know what you mean. You go to do something and have to fix 10 other things.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
same situation with the LS I've got sitting in the garage. I want to swap the cam, but if I'm going to go that far I might as well update/upgrade the heads....and since I'm that far....just rebuild it top to bottom.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Is it just a head gasket or is the engine tired? If the bottom end is solid, redoing the top end is much cheaper than a new engine. But if the bottom end isn't up to task redoing the top end may be bad for the bottom end. I've refreshed the top end on a few engines with solid bottom ends and the results were favorable. If you're leaning towards a new engine anyhow, go for it and either swap in the cam of your choice and void the warranty, or wait to swap it in after the warranty.

As far as I know the bottom end is solid. I was going down the road and heard a pop and saw white Smoke (and my oil was over full while the coolant was empty) so that’s how I know it’s the head gasket. After I pull the heads I will have a little bit better idea of what the bottom end holds.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Hope it's good news.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Those damn snowballs will get you every time.

I'd pull the motor though. Then you can easily tear into it and see how bad off it is. If everything checks out, clean it up, put your cam in it and reseal it. It would be wise to spend a couple hundred bucks taking the heads to the machine shop. Just resist the urge for a crate engine if you don't need it.

cooperhw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
1978, 1981, 1983
Truck Model
C-10, K-20, C-20
Engine Size
5.7L
can it be done, yes. should it, well, up for debate. at a minimum I pull the front wheels off and lay it on the ground. even then your back and chest will be sore from bending and laying on the fenders and having to reach all the way in. I myself would pull it. Last cam I did in the car was an LS-2 in my 67 Chevelle. Never again. I also had to do valve springs with the big cam and they were very difficult leaning in to change.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamnTexan77