Body mount bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Or 12" channel works well!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 130

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Or 12" channel works well!

That looks badass lol. I do have a receiver hitch already on there, the only thing is, that its mounted to the bottom of the frame of course, and I feel like ill have to modify it.

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
75 something (maybe ???)
Truck Model
k10 and a 1/3
Engine Size
In order to pull my medium sized enclosed cargo trailer (6x6x12) with my Dodge in have to use a 10" drop hitch and the trailer tongue is still about an 1" too high. However, our two horse trailer sits about dead level with the 10" drop. My old GMC with the 6" lift used the same 10" drop I have today, it's about forty years old. I looked once a few years ago at three local RV centers for a 10" drop 5,000lbs hitch and none were able to find one for me. Not saying they can't be had but they didn't appear to be common a few years ago. I have seen drop hitches as long as 14" but they are HEAVY in appearance. I saw one that had 2 stiffener bars from the ball area back up to two smaller hitch tubes welded below the frame of the frame mounted hitch about a foot forward of the rear of the hitch. Looked awkward but I suppose with a drop that long it was necessary to keep the hitch from acting like a rubber band forwards and backwards.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
For the most part I just pull a car trailer for random stuff, and a camper every now and then and I would like to use my suburban for it instead of my Colorado lol. I wonder what size drop hitch ill end up needing after I get my tires, and get everything all set up right, definitely gonna want some supports like you were talking about. Ive seen some long drop hitches, and that's all I ever thought about when I saw them, like how much they flex back and forth

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
75 something (maybe ???)
Truck Model
k10 and a 1/3
Engine Size
Ever heard of tolerance stacking? Those dropped hitches do that. If there is even the slightest play inside the reciever tube up and down or side to side, coupled with sloppy or soft leaf spring bushings and soft sidewall tires, plus a slightly loose hitch cup, the trailer will drive the driver nuts in short order. Using a sway reducer is a patch that works somewhat, and a load leveler is nice but I would not load that big of a drop with more than a 5,000lb load due to the leverage action on the frame. Neither of my trailers has trailer brakes though.

Nevertheless, with that said, I am disregarding my own advice....Next weekend I will be testing the drop hitch pretty good, I have to rent a 7x14 enclosed trailer to haul 3 tons of cat food for the local shelter 75 miles. That is 6000lbs in a trailer with a GTW of 7000lbs. with surge brakes. It ought to be interesting.

However, I welded on some hard case along the sides in three places on each side of the solid insert bar and ground them down to make the hitch hard to install, I have to beat it in with a piece of wood. However, the sway and bounce has been almost entirely eliminated. Now if I could just get the damn Dodge to steer straight....

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Ever heard of tolerance stacking? Those dropped hitches do that. If there is even the slightest play inside the reciever tube up and down or side to side, coupled with sloppy or soft leaf spring bushings and soft sidewall tires, plus a slightly loose hitch cup, the trailer will drive the driver nuts in short order. Using a sway reducer is a patch that works somewhat, and a load leveler is nice but I would not load that big of a drop with more than a 5,000lb load due to the leverage action on the frame. Neither of my trailers has trailer brakes though.

Nevertheless, with that said, I am disregarding my own advice....Next weekend I will be testing the drop hitch pretty good, I have to rent a 7x14 enclosed trailer to haul 3 tons of cat food for the local shelter 75 miles. That is 6000lbs in a trailer with a GTW of 7000lbs. with surge brakes. It ought to be interesting.

However, I welded on some hard case along the sides in three places on each side of the solid insert bar and ground them down to make the hitch hard to install, I have to beat it in with a piece of wood. However, the sway and bounce has been almost entirely eliminated. Now if I could just get the damn Dodge to steer straight....

Good luck trying to get a dodge to steer straight:rofl:

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
4 inch susp 3 inch body Ive been happy