Anyone Ever heard of Electrolysis ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here is another one after its just about completely dry.

attachment.php

Attachments

• LicensePlatebracket 709.jpg
    LicensePlatebracket 709.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,828

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
that's just plain awesome seeing as what you started with...

Yes, its an amaziing process, and I think I'm about to get it dialed in !!!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I see it, and still don't believe it, lol!!!!!! :High 5:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I see it, and still don't believe it, lol!!!!!! :High 5:

I'm sitting here touching and looking at it in person, and I don't beleive it.
It looks even better than in pics, and looks even better now that its dried. My male husky keeps sniffing it. I done warned him, I see him hike his damn leg on that thing, no treats for a week and he is on restriction for a week with no going out in the front yard with me.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here is another shot. Look how it cleaned the ports even. I can tell I want to run it one more time with clean electrolyte to get cleaned deeper. And this time, I am going to go ahead and pull the valves and rocker arms off before I do it. That way all the port will be open with easy access to the steel, and the process will concentrate on the head ports insted the parts I am not going to use anyway. Most of those valves are pitted. I'll have to buy new valves to use these heads. Which is fine. Since the bigger valves cost the same as the smaller ones, then the only differance it paying the machinist to machine the head for bigger valves. I'm going with stainless hardened exhaust seats anyway due to unleaded fuel.

attachment.php

Attachments

• LicensePlatebracket 712.jpg
    LicensePlatebracket 712.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,853

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Here is another shot. Look how it cleaned the ports even. I can tell I want to run it one more time with clean electrolyte to get cleaned deeper. And this time, I am going to go ahead and pull the valves and rocker arms off before I do it. That way all the port will be open with easy access to the steel, and the process will concentrate on the head ports insted the parts I am not going to use anyway. Most of those valves are pitted. I'll have to buy new valves to use these heads. Which is fine. Since the bigger valves cost the same as the smaller ones, then the only differance it paying the machinist to machine the head for bigger valves. I'm going with stainless hardened exhaust seats anyway due to unleaded fuel.

attachment.php
I was just going top mention, it still looks a little crusty in where the valves are. ****, if you pull them out and sit it facing valve opening facing up int he water, it should cook that **** right out of there. :High 5:

Also those end water jackets still look a littel crusty too. I guess the fire department wasn;t needed last night? lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here is the steel and what it looks like after I was done last night, and the tub. There is rusty mud covering the entire bottom of the tub at least an 1/8in thick probably closer to 1/4. That took alot of rust off that head. Hard to beleive there was that much rust on it. I'm still amazed and impressed with the process.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• LicensePlatebracket 724.jpg
    LicensePlatebracket 724.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 159
  • LicensePlatebracket 728.jpg
    LicensePlatebracket 728.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 184

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Here's a link where someone was using bleach along with baking soda.

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=15036

Also found when doing a google search that it not good let the item being cleaned lay at the bottom of the container. Someone recommended laying the item being cleaned on a piece of wood instead of directly at the bottom of the container. I might try that when doing the intake again just see what happens. Also found out the electrode has to to bigger than the item being cleaned.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A sheet of wood, or just a block of wood to keep the part off the floor of the container? I think if it were a sheet of wood, it would be pointless because the crap would collect on it instead.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
A sheet of wood, or just a block of wood to keep the part off the floor of the container? I think if it were a sheet of wood, it would be pointless because the crap would collect on it instead.

I think they were more referring to a block of wood.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
How about suspending the part hanging it from the top or making a wire frame/chair to sit it on in the tub? HR, that rust mud wash off the electrode easy or do ya got to grind it off?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Being I've posted plenty of pics on the last head, I won't post alot on this one.
I am now doing the matching head to the previous head. I am doing it a bit different this time just to experiment with something else and see if it makes an improvement over the last process.

I also want to point out, not making sure that you metal is not touching the part your cleaning is a very bad move. I got a bit confident and didn't think to make sure. As I plugged the charger in, immediatley, it made a loud grinding noise and mega smoke coming out of it. I quickly unplugged it and had to think WTF??? Then I recalled, I didn't make sure. Sure enough, the head was touching the ring. Battery Charger may now be junk.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I tried the charger several times to no avail.

I decided to let it cool for about an hour. Tried it about an hour later. It made the same grinding noise, then smoothed out and I heard the fan start up. It obviously blew the remaining damaging smoke out of it, cuz the stinch of burnt electrical came blowing out of the charger, but then quickly went way. I think the charger is going to survive, but probably burnt off a few years of life. SO be sure to make sure your item are not touching !!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So here is what is different this time. Notice the chain. I am using a chain instead of a bolt in the head. I idea here, is that I have 2 connections to the head being cleaned instead of 1. Also, 1 on each end, instead of 1 in the center. Also notice the PVC pipe and its tight flexing. The PVC pipe is serving 2 purposes. #1, to hold the chain out of the water, so I don't have the charger lead in the water. #2 and most important, is the PVC is working as a spring putting tension on the chain, to keep the links tightly held to each other for a good connection between all the links. The weight of the head itself is holding the tension on the links pulling it down and flexing the PVC.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Obviously my connection is good. Again, like the last head with the bolt and the same ring, the amp guage is just as high with the chain as it was with the bolt. :waytogo:

Attachments

• LicensePlatebracket 731.jpg
    LicensePlatebracket 731.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 157
  • LicensePlatebracket 730.jpg
    LicensePlatebracket 730.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just a little update using the chain method. The process has ran just over 2hrs now, and I really am not seeing any difference than using the single bolt method. Seems to be pretty much identical as far as progress by compaing the foam the color of the water and the bubbles. Process is working good, just not with the results I was expecting or hopnig for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub