Anti theft devices..kill switches..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Mount some fake cameras on the dash, make the theif think they are on that show. As pretty as the truck is just leave the keys in it so it always looks like a setup.

Really t hough, floor; board dimmer switch cutout works good.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
fdgbfdbgd

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Reed style battery disconnect switch.

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/disconnects-for-batteries/magtech-battery-disconnect

"Instant ON, Instant OFF" A simple wand-like swipe with the magnet "key" makes it that easy to disconnect your battery with our MagTech Battery Disconnect kit. A hidden switch is activated by the magnet key carried on your key ring. Great as an anti-theft deterrent or to prevent battery drain. Includes our auxiliary "hot" feed to the clock or computer or other items requiring power for memory. The solenoid is rated 110 amps continuous duty and 750 amps surge. Hardware, wire, connectors and detailed instructions included. There is NO electricity used when this unit is "on", only when switching between on and off.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Reed style battery disconnect switch.

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/disconnects-for-batteries/magtech-battery-disconnect

"Instant ON, Instant OFF" A simple wand-like swipe with the magnet "key" makes it that easy to disconnect your battery with our MagTech Battery Disconnect kit. A hidden switch is activated by the magnet key carried on your key ring. Great as an anti-theft deterrent or to prevent battery drain. Includes our auxiliary "hot" feed to the clock or computer or other items requiring power for memory. The solenoid is rated 110 amps continuous duty and 750 amps surge. Hardware, wire, connectors and detailed instructions included. There is NO electricity used when this unit is "on", only when switching between on and off.

thanks!

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
so, im assuming you could use this kit on the distributor coil wire? and i still am unclear, would you have to swipe it once to apply power (closing the switch) and complete the circuit, and then once you turned the ignition key off on the column, the switch loses power and opens, cutting power again to the distributor?

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
It's a battery cut off switch. It kills all battery power to the starter/ fuse box. Swipe it once to remove power and then again to apply power back to the starter/fuse box. I guess you could only use it only for the distributor wire. Using it as designed will also cut power to your starter. It has a bypass for all the things like clock, computer and radio that require a constant 12V power. There is a pdf link at the bottom of the page for the install instructions.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It's a battery cut off switch. It kills all battery power to the starter/ fuse box. Swipe it once to remove power and then again to apply power back to the starter/fuse box. I guess you could only use it only for the distributor wire. Using it as designed will also cut power to your starter. It has a bypass for all the things like clock, computer and radio that require a constant 12V power. There is a pdf link at the bottom of the page for the install instructions.

well, I guess i could install this like shown, and also a second toggle on the coil wire. kind of a double whammy. if they got the starter powered back up theyd still have to find the toggle for the dizzy

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Not a bad idea but a little overkill. These type of deterrents are for the low end car thief. If a pro car thief wants your truck, it's gone.

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
fdgbfdbgd

I would definitely opt for the relay with the reed switch. Trick is to wire it behind the bezel where the wiring isn't really visible unless you pull the bezel off. I mean the best option is that kit for 125$ from street works

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=96_59_90&product_id=54

The way it works is you hold the magnet in front of the reed switch while you start the truck and then you don't need the starter circuit completed any longer once the truck is running. So then when you shut it off you can't restart it without the magnet in front of the switch again. It's only held closed when the magnet is in front.

Sent from somewhere in Northern Illinois!

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
From the instructions.

To operate, “swipe” the MagTech key past the reed switch location to turn the battery feed “ON” (Connected). The solenoid will keep the power “ON” until you
“swipe” key again. Test your set-up to assure it is functioning properly. If desired, a “POWER ON” indicator light may be wired between a (+) battery fed circuit and
ground to indicate when your battery is connected or disconnected.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm going to try and find that reed switch somewhere for a cheaper price

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Post up the link if you do. I like the concept of the reed switch but have been unable to find a similar setup for less. A reed switch alone connected in line of the positive dist wire will not work unless you leave the magnet on the switch to keep it closed while driving. If the magnet falls off the switch while driving then the engine will shut down and that could cause some interesting driving situations.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Reed switch sounds like a pain in the ass to me...

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Reed switch sounds like a pain in the ass to me...

That's what I am beginning to think to. Although it would depend on exactly where everything is located.

I kinda like the idea of a floor mounted switch. Step on the switch to complete the circuit to start the truck. Kinda like my lawn mower. Gotta have the brake depressed to complete the circuit or it won't start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris