Anti theft devices..kill switches..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm thinking of mounting a key switch somewhere in the truck, I havent decided yet, but basically one side would be to ground, and the other to the tach. right? I'm not sure exactly where to put the wire on the tach, i hve just the regular stock distributor.

also. I wanted to do another kill switch using the nuetral safety switch...and killing it.

has anyone done either or both of these? Better info maybe?

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Our truck came with a simple flip switch mounted in the engine bay that disconnects the ignition lead. Simply park, pop the hood, flip the switch, bam - nobody is starting it now! The guy did a kinda hack job on it, but hey it works. Simple and effective!

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
If I were going to do that, I'd use a switch panel from a Suburban mounted in the factory spot. A typical thief wouldn't know the difference between a dome lamp override and an ignition or fuel pump cut off.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Or you could install a redundant switch in the starter control circuit.

Just cut into the purple wire that comes from the ignition switch and goes to the starter solenoid. That wire carries no real current. It just supplies enough to pull the solenoid in - after that the main cable from the battery cranks the starter.

Drill a neat hole on the lower part of the dash under and to the left of the steering column. Mount a momentary type push-button switch in the hole. I recently used this switch (Advance Auto $8.39) for a similar modification - works/looks great:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Attach two leads (maybe 3 feet long) to the terminals.

Find a convenient place to cut into the purple (ignition switch to solenoid) wire. Cut it, strip the ends and splice the leads from the momentary switch in.

Now, with this switch in the circuit, to start the car requires two hands. Using your right hand turn the ignition switch to START. At the same time, using your left hand, reach under the dash and push the redundant switch in.

It's kind of like launching a ballistic missile.

BTW - there is no neutral safety switch in your truck. Although people talk about NSS's all the time, they were long gone by 1985. The electrical switch was phased out and replaced with a mechanical interlock within the steering column. Try twisting the key to START with the gear shift selector in any position other than P/N. You can't. Look down at the base of the column and see the NSS bracket. All you'll find are the leads for the back-up lights.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
We had a 63 dump truck that didn't see much use and got parked in the open, so my grandpa hid a toggle switch off the passenger-side of the steering column under the dash, and it interupted the circuit going to the distributor. If you didn't flip the switch, the engine would turn over but wouldn't start because there wasn't any spark. As soon as you flipped the switch, the truck started and run like normal. If you didn't know the switch was there, you would either run the battery down trying to start it, or if you were a thief you would simply find another vehicle to steal. Very simple and effective anti-theft device.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
yeah, the kill switch for the distributor is what I'm thinking of doing, I just want to make it harder to find than a simple push button on or right under the dash. Any good thief that is the first thing they look for

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I always wanted to do a reed switch (magnetic activation) behind the dash tied into the starter circuit. Keep a small magnet on your keychain, and swipe it past the reed switch as you go to put the keys in the ignition to start the truck. You would have to build a small circuit to keep the reed switch energized while you moved the key away from the switch and to the ignition.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I always wanted to do a reed switch (magnetic activation) behind the dash tied into the starter circuit. Keep a small magnet on your keychain, and swipe it past the reed switch as you go to put the keys in the ignition to start the truck. You would have to build a small circuit to keep the reed switch energized while you moved the key away from the switch and to the ignition.

Thats what i really wanted to do, but the diagram seems complicated as hell

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size

I install security systems for a living and this is the method I will use eventually as well!

Sent from somewhere in Northern Illinois!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If I were going to do that, I'd use a switch panel from a Suburban mounted in the factory spot. A typical thief wouldn't know the difference between a dome lamp override and an ignition or fuel pump cut off.

That's what I would do too. A floor dimmer switch could be used too.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Foamypirate and john81287, any more info on exactly how to do the reed switch thing?

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Foamypirate and john81287, any more info on exactly how to do the reed switch thing?

Yes if you use a heavy enough reed switch as there are different duty levels. You could interrupt one of the starter wires in the column and glue the contact behind the dash bezel. Being behind metal wouldn't work because it would demagnetize too much. Once it is mounted the reed switch would pull closed with the magnet. And allow the truck to start. I like this method because it leaves the stock look of the truck. If you got a lighter duty reed switch you would have to go with the relay option wiring the switch to one side and the starter circuit to the other. This option prevents somebody from even being able to crank it where a fuel pump shut off would work but they could crank the battery dead in the process.

Got kinda long winded sorry.

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I should add my recommendation is the relay method so you don't burn your truck down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris