Adjusting hydraulic valves

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I know ive caught flac before recently for being a bone head and undoing things I didnt have the knowlage to redo, and after this last hump im done messing with my daily lol, just want to make that clear

So ive got the motor back together, hydraulic lifters looked good. I went to start it and it ran really rough, i had to hold it cracked and it backfired once. It also didn't want to rev up when i gave it gas. My theory is my valve train. Im going to ruke out timing because it did run, and i have my dist very close to photos of it before the tear down, and i timed it pretty close with a vacuum gauge.

When i went through and readjusted the lifters I bumped the motor to where a corresponding valve was obviously open, then adjusted the adjacent valve for the same cylinder, to be sure the valve i was adjusting was truly closed. I took the slack out of the rocker and added a half turn per rocker, went like that on the whole motor.

My theory is that since the hydraulic lifters arent new, and upon inspection while the motor was appart, wouldn't compress due to what I assume to be internal oil pressure, when i added the half turn preload i was actualy putting pressure on the valve springs and not preloading the lifters. And im loosing comoression because my valves are cracked open.

A note though, today when i went back and started looking at the valves(i adjusted them yesterday), some seemed loose again, it may be my mistake though

While I was looking at the motor i did see the lifters for the open valves were compressed, so im not affraid of stuck lifters.

If anyone knows a meathod to adjust hydraulic lifters that have been run in the past couple days id appreciate it, thank you. And again sorry about all the dumba** posts, i promise not to get in over my head again, ive learned my lesson, and sorry about the long post, just trying to be through

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Check your plug wire routing first. Does it have a dead miss or just run generally rough?

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Check your plug wire routing first. Does it have a dead miss or just run generally rough?

Just generally, it shakes real bad too. Its not like a lack of power, more like weird pressure

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
After some research, i think im gonna turn my old valve covers into adjusters and just adjust the valves with the motor running. Since im not running anything special I think il be ok, just gonna go until i dont hear clatter. I think this will work best since my lifters are full of oil, this'll be day 5 of the 2 day project, just need to get it running at this point

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It doesn't matter if the lifters are primed with oil or not, they get adjusted the same way.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
It doesn't matter if the lifters are primed with oil or not, they get adjusted the same way.

Hmph .Hopefully this takes whatever human error i added out then

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Just makes it easier to feel zero lash with the lifters primed.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Just makes it easier to feel zero lash with the lifters primed.

Could you explain a bit about what a primed lifter means? My understanding is that that's when its full of oil and under pressure, but im not sure how to tell when it is and isnt primed

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Could you explain a bit about what a primed lifter means? My understanding is that that's when its full of oil and under pressure, but im not sure how to tell when it is and isnt primed
When it's primed(full of oil) it takes quite a bit of effort to push the plunger down,when not primed it takes no effort at all to push the plunger.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
When it's primed(full of oil) it takes quite a bit of effort to push the plunger down,when not primed it takes no effort at all to push the plunger.

Oh alright, that explain why the motor runs like the valves are hanging open. Is there a way to adjust primed lifters?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Oh alright, that explain why the motor runs like the valves are hanging open. Is there a way to adjust primed lifters?
They all adjust the same way, but with hydraulic you go 1/2 turn past zero lash..

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
This is the two-roll method. But 1/2 turn past zero lash instead of 1 turn like they say.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man