Adjusting hydraulic valves

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I like to pull the plugs and turn the engine by hand. having the plugs out also helps to find TDC. I don't like to bump the engine with the starter, I like to watch the valve slowly close so I know its exactly where I want it to be. i find it easier to find zero lash with a primed lifter. pinch the pushrod with your thumb and index finger and roll it back and forth like (sorry for the reference) a booger as your tightening the adjuster down. as soon as you feel it start to drag you're at zero lash. from here, opinions differ on how much preload from 1/2 turn to 1 full turn. I've always been told a slappy valve is a happy valve, which is referencing an older style valve train. the point is still the same, better to be a little loose than a little tight. mine usually end up 1/2-5/8 once everything is locked down. make sure the rocker arms, lifters and pushrods are clean so that you can feel the drag accurately.

good luck

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I like to pull the plugs and turn the engine by hand. having the plugs out also helps to find TDC. I don't like to bump the engine with the starter, I like to watch the valve slowly close so I know its exactly where I want it to be. i find it easier to find zero lash with a primed lifter. pinch the pushrod with your thumb and index finger and roll it back and forth like (sorry for the reference) a booger as your tightening the adjuster down. as soon as you feel it start to drag you're at zero lash. from here, opinions differ on how much preload from 1/2 turn to 1 full turn. I've always been told a slappy valve is a happy valve, which is referencing an older style valve train. the point is still the same, better to be a little loose than a little tight. mine usually end up 1/2-5/8 once everything is locked down. make sure the rocker arms, lifters and pushrods are clean so that you can feel the drag accurately.

good luck
Thanks man, il give it a shot. Prob going to try it with the motor running too

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Thanks man, il give it a shot. Prob going to try it with the motor running too
I've never done it that way, but I know a few old timers that swear by it. I just never wanted the mess.

edit: not sure if they only did this on solid lifter motors or hydraulic...

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
By the book, or by the ways explained, it's the same result. No need to do it both ways. Do the two roll method by the book or as mentioned and you don't need to readjust them, just run it. If you do it running, you don't need to readjust them, just run it. The book shows which valves can be adjusted on each turn. Some like to roll the engine for each valve, but I personally like the two roll and be done with it. Have done the running method many times when I was young and didn't know the two roll method, now I forego the mess.

Hydraulic @Frankenchevy. Solid is a whole different method and it's not with the engine running.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
This is the two-roll method. But 1/2 turn past zero lash instead of 1 turn like they say.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Hydraulic @Frankenchevy. Solid is a whole different method and it's not with the engine running.[/QUOTE]

What if you have the poly locks? Is it the same methods? With the allen in the middle. Can they be reused? I found some that where a bit loose when i pulled my valve covers. Loose enough it bent 3 rods lol... but not really funny.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hydraulic @Frankenchevy. Solid is a whole different method and it's not with the engine running.

What if you have the poly locks? Is it the same methods? With the allen in the middle. Can they be reused? I found some that where a bit loose when i pulled my valve covers. Loose enough it bent 3 rods lol... but not really funny.[/QUOTE]
When using poly locks, the rocker stud needs to be ground flat so the allen screw can get a full set in the stud, then they won't come loose..

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
When using poly locks, the rocker stud needs to be ground flat so the allen screw can get a full set in the stud, then they won't come loose..
I will have to look at see if the po did that guessing since they were loose he didn't. Small dremmel the tool for that job?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I will have to look at see if the po did that guessing since they were loose he didn't. Small dremmel the tool for that job?
I doubt he did most don't think about it, that's why they came loose. Dremmel will work I guess just make sure **** don't fly all over the head, I do that before I install them.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I doubt he did most don't think about it, that's why they came loose. Dremmel will work I guess just make sure **** don't fly all over the head, I do that before I install them.
Maybe a big piece of cardboard with just the studs sticking through? Idk I can reuse them right they arnt a lock nut are they? Just ajdust valves as post before with the nut and then lock it down with the allen?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Maybe a big piece of cardboard with just the studs sticking through? Idk I can reuse them right they arnt a lock nut are they?
More like a locking system

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I thought so but wanted to be sure. Dont need to be finding more pushrods in the valley pan.
Put 7/16 ones in there then you can find other stuff as a nice little for change. Lol jk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224