AC Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My 85 C10 has a 305/700R4. The previous owner had the AC converted to R134. It cools pretty good but the compressor cycles off and on pretty regularly and the belt flaps a little even though it appears tight when I check it.

Is there a fix for this? No idea how the conversion was done or if done correctly. I suspected the freon level might be low but when I put guages on it to verify, it reads a little high when the compressor runs then drops off when it cycles off (a normal indication I would imagine).

Anyone have a fix for the compressor cycling?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Low pressure switch might need to be adjusted. Should not cycle off untill about 18-20psi. Belt tension sometimes hard to get correct on v belt setup.

LDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
how do i adjust the LPS?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
how do i adjust the LPS?

Not sure how frequently you mean when you say:

but the compressor cycles off and on pretty regularly

It would not be considered abnormal if (with the cab cooled down) the compressor kicked in for say 10-15 seconds and then kicked out for a similar length of time.

If you want to try, the cut-in point can be adjusted with the screw highlighted in the image below. Unfortunately, I don't remember which direction raises/lowers it. The factory cut-in/cut-out points for that low side switch are about 46/25 psi. And, just as info, 134a conversion shouldn't require a change in those settings.

You must be registered for see images attach

Before changing the set point, try adding some gas - just a little bit at a time - and see if that alleviates the short cycling condition.

Check for a restricted orifice tube by the presence of frost on the tubing immediately downstream of the tube's location:

You must be registered for see images attach

LDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It would run for about 3-5 seconds, then cut for about 3-5 seconds.

I added some freon using one of those AC Pro cans with a gauge. I stopped because when I let go of the trigger and the compressor ran, it put me close to the red line.

I drove to the NAPA to get a vent temp gauge and it never got below 60F. When I pulled into the driveway at home, the compressor was running the entire time; AC on max, blower on hi setting. I didn't notice any frost on the tube but I will try checking all this again later this week. Wife & kids want me to take it easy for father's day!

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Need to put hi and low pressure guages on it to verify

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Any of you AC knowing guys that want to do a real good write up How To thread, in good detail with some pics and such, we could sure use it here on GMSB. Actually could be 3 different threads. #1 Recharging or adding Freon, #2 Conversion to R134A, and #3 AC Troubleshooting. Anyone willing to take the time to do it, I'll make sure it gets made to a Sticky. Even is you want to do just 1 of the 3, is fine. Maybe someone else will do the others.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
There is already one 134 conversion with sanden compressor. Can modify a bit and include general 134 info. Sanden guide recently posted also has trouble shooting info
Any of you AC knowing guys that want to do a real good write up How To thread, in good detail with some pics and such, we could sure use it here on GMSB. Actually could be 3 different threads. #1 Recharging or adding Freon, #2 Conversion to R134A, and #3 AC Troubleshooting. Anyone willing to take the time to do it, I'll make sure it gets made to a Sticky. Even is you want to do just 1 of the 3, is fine. Maybe someone else will do the others.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size