89-91 burb k10 frame for my 81 c10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oopsman_09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic c1500
Engine Size
I know this sounds odd and I'm a little leery about it myself but I have the opportunity to aquire a k10 burb(I believe a 90.) and wondered about using the frame to convert my c10 to 4x4. I know the wheelbase is 2 inches shorter but couldn't I relocate the axle? I could always go flatbed but dont really want to. what do you all think?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know this sounds odd and I'm a little leery about it myself but I have the opportunity to aquire a k10 burb(I believe a 90.) and wondered about using the frame to convert my c10 to 4x4. I know the wheelbase is 2 inches shorter but couldn't I relocate the axle? I could always go flatbed but dont really want to. what do you all think?

I'm fairly certain that's doable. IIRC, 2 of your back cab mounts, you'll need to relocate, but the front ones and the front clip will be just fine. I had that same idea about 89S's Burb frame. But a Truck cab on it, and make a buggy for the property, with a roll cage on the back.

oopsman_09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic c1500
Engine Size
yeah ive been toying the idea about a custom flatbed kinda thing. or getting a donor bed and chopping 2 inches out. i think for the time a flatbed would be the best option. just cant decide whether to do that or just swap 4x4 suspension to my frame.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Go for it, be special :D

If I could have kept my '89 around for a while I really had an itch to take that sawzall to the rear body and experiment a little.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Go for it, be special :D

If I could have kept my '89 around for a while I really had an itch to take that sawzall to the rear body and experiment a little.

:sad72:

Next time I come across some junker like that, I intend to. Just put something together with 4.10's weld all the axles solid, butcher it up for some big tires and leave it on the property for raising hell, pushing over trees, dragging downed trees to the house to be cut up for firewood. Just something to get around that I don't have to worry about tearing up, how it looks and can take a few of the kids for a ride where they'll be safe as long as they're strapped in good even if it should roll over. Friggin ATV's are to damn expensive and they really don't hold up as well as people think IMO. Maintenance is expensive as hell, I'll just make a rockin 4x4 buggy and leave the bitch in 4 Low all the time. No need to be doing over about 20mph on the property anyway.

oopsman_09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic c1500
Engine Size
my main concern was the difference in the frames as this is my daily driver. but would love to have 4x4 for the trails. I hate the look of flatbeds on single rear tires but read that the difference in the frames made it hard to adapt a regular bed. plus there is the whole wheelbase thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamberttt