79 Trans am

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Welding sheet metal with stick is tricky. That’s all it is for the most part, just a little thicker sheet metal.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I know exactly why I said I've been asking about some others doing the welding somebody will more experience in doing so

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Like I said, I'll look a it when I'm down there and make sure it can even be repaired. If it can be, I can take it back with me to fix it. I can do it right.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Like I said, I'll look a it when I'm down there and make sure it can even be repaired. If it can be, I can take it back with me to fix it. I can do it right.
It’s metal of course it can be repaired.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'm just worried that the entire rear leg sections are thin.

I know you can that's what I said I'm confident in you being able to do it.

As for the entire rear legs they seem good to me, the sides around the hole are what concern me both are rusted and I bet thin since the rot hole in bottom. The rear straight leg when I cut the rust hole open you can feel it back in there and see the metal and thickness is pretty uniform.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Now I have to try and find something to make it worth while for bucket to do it for me. I wished my camera did better so I could snap some pics as I cut that area out as mentioned and wire brushed it some earlier.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
well @bucket came by today and picked up the camaro parts we had here and got my subframe to fix it up for me. I had alot going on the last few days and got pushed today so it sucked we didn't get to hang out too long but got to see his new squarebody burb. with a 454 big block(WANT) Sadly we had forgot his bumper and I had a few other odds and ends for him but we'll have to meet up again to get him those and get my subframe back.

Just waiting for some better/warmer weather to work on the TA more, on a side note I got new ball joints, tie rods ends, idler arm, center link, and control arms bushings, all moog and all already came in, gotta get em on. I also of course need new coils, and a spring compressor, and gota do alot of cleaning and paint work on those parts still.

That and like bucket said the roof of course is pretty jacked up from them welding te patch in before, not sure if I can work it out to use the sunroof, may have to skin it. I hope not but it might have to happen, if so they'll be no sunroof in it, unless the roof skin I find ends up with one LOL

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
still not much going on weather sucks.

I did strip more interior out, brought the seats inside in the house and carpet to avoid any chance a cart may claw or barf on em. Plus less parts to move around/trip over/work around.

I think we may have decided to paint the entire car red instead of touching up the black in spots. If so we've picked out summit's flame red single stage, and I'll clear coat over it.

Why? because the single stage is 104 a gallon compared to almost 190 for a gallon of base, plus not really any need to clear the underhood, inner fenders, firewall, jambs etc, or to buff so doing single stage they would shine and call it done.

The outside of course I always wet sand and buff, so doing a color coat then laying down some clear would mean less chance of getting into the red or going thru into whatever is left under the red.

I did order a coil spring compressor came in today, and ordered some poly urethane dust boots for the ball joints and tie rod ends in red from rockauto, energy susp. brand. I plan to buy the bumpstops as mine were shot and in red to match, and maybe some coil spring insulator/isolators. I still need to buy the coil springs themselves, and I'm looking into whther or not I want to buy an actual free standing shop press, from harbor freight, or a cheaper c clamp type ball joint press to do my bushings and ball joints.

Speaking of I did manage to get the bushings out of both pass. control arms, I have yet to do the driver's. The ball koints ad bumpstops as well, now I need to clean them then prime and paint.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Are you going to get lowering springs? If so, you might not even need a compressor to get them installed.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Are you going to get lowering springs? If so, you might not even need a compressor to get them installed.

no as bad as our roads are I think I'll sick to stock height. Bad thing is I'll most likely have to do air shocks in back or maybe do some new leafs to make it sit right with new front coils. Maybe I should buy some for a v6 or like a smaller v8 so they' d not be as tall?

I could always trim some but with the s10 trying to do so and not use a compressor got me too low on 2 sets of springs.

I guess if I get it together full weight and let it settle if it's too high I'll be pulling it apart and trimming

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
this thing is turning into my other crap, CRAP. I kep finding more rust of course.

I was looking into the wiper cowl areas and inside the 1/4's in back with a flash light, and found more rot and crappy repairs.

I knew one fenderwell in back had some patch work done, and it goes thru into the car where the fender well meets the floors in back couple holes like pencil eraser sized or so until i get grinding then I bet they grow huge.

Well the inner structure back there is rotted on bottom as well, nothing huge ones about 1/4 inch tall and about 2 inch long the other a lil bigger then pencil eraser sized, all of this and the above are covered by interior never seen, but you know, unibody, and mositure being able to get in under the carpet, not so good.

The pass. side rear floor pan was replaced before and left bare and has bad scale, it may turn into holes once I wire brush it who knows. They did not pull it down to the cross brace and spot weld it to that brace as they should have, plus they left some metal hanging under the car from the old pan that was removed. Well the front pan looked good, until I was looking into the cowl side, my elbow kind of cracked a spot out in the factory seam where the firewall toe board meets the floor pan, nothing huge again just like a 2inch long spot. Well I was checking it out from under the car, and noticed some hanging down crap, what was it you ask? Caulk, and yes you guessed it covering pin holes in different spots in the floor pan. I kind of doubt being able to weld the pinholes up because it may just blow holes bigger I'm sure being rusty sheet metal floor pans. That and I can't see very good. I don't wanna redneck it up with some fiberglass or something like that, but I am considering stripping it down to bare steel and hitting it all with por15 silver as it says it has fiber or something in it to help strengthen? The only other option would be a front pan, and that may lead to a complete side pan since the rear has rst and is not welded to the brace.

I really don't know again like always, getting tired of this crap coming up that I really an't fix myself and can't pay to have it done. I'll just keep working on the front suspesion clean up and such for now, wait to get the subframe back and reassemble it then see where I want to go.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
still not much going on weather sucks.

I did strip more interior out, brought the seats inside in the house and carpet to avoid any chance a cart may claw or barf on em. Plus less parts to move around/trip over/work around.

I think we may have decided to paint the entire car red instead of touching up the black in spots. If so we've picked out summit's flame red single stage, and I'll clear coat over it.

Why? because the single stage is 104 a gallon compared to almost 190 for a gallon of base, plus not really any need to clear the underhood, inner fenders, firewall, jambs etc, or to buff so doing single stage they would shine and call it done.

The outside of course I always wet sand and buff, so doing a color coat then laying down some clear would mean less chance of getting into the red or going thru into whatever is left under the red.

I did order a coil spring compressor came in today, and ordered some poly urethane dust boots for the ball joints and tie rod ends in red from rockauto, energy susp. brand. I plan to buy the bumpstops as mine were shot and in red to match, and maybe some coil spring insulator/isolators. I still need to buy the coil springs themselves, and I'm looking into whther or not I want to buy an actual free standing shop press, from harbor freight, or a cheaper c clamp type ball joint press to do my bushings and ball joints.

Speaking of I did manage to get the bushings out of both pass. control arms, I have yet to do the driver's. The ball koints ad bumpstops as well, now I need to clean them then prime and paint.

Why red? Love the way red interior looks with black, gunmetal grey, or white cars

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Why red? Love the way red interior looks with black, gunmetal grey, or white cars

interior is going back white with either black dash, console, carpet, and belts or dark carmine red as it was stock. The car was also red stock, no I'm not a huge stock fan, but I always talk of painting something red and like it, so it's going to be a bright red almost orange or a dark orange almost red LOL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CodyHansen