79 Trans am

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
With the upcoming warmer months, why not use the carport as your work station for the T/A? Or will the misses not put up with carport shenanigans? Lol.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
With the upcoming warmer months, why not use the carport as your work station for the T/A? Or will the misses not put up with carport shenanigans? Lol.

LOl alot of reasons. one being I need to get that buick up here to pull the engine to have a spare for th emonte carlo, 2 need to get dads van up here to try and fix. She wants her car in there lol so that's 1 as well.

It's a lil tough for me to move it with no front end, and then tip it over, since it'd need everything stripped off to do so. I could jackit up and crawl under but that's not the easiest anyways. Also with those women who come out and work with my son and some nosy neighbors I'd kind of rather not do everything out there, I kind of do as little as possible. Mostly for fear of them asking me to work on theirs LOL

Also funds sometimes don't hold out for me to do what I want or need to. I'd hate to get into it run low or out of funds and then have to shove it back in the garage for a bit. if I had or could borrow an actual rotissere I probably would do it out there. Push car out somehow, remove rearend, and put it on there and turn it over.

I'm gonna have to build onto the front of the garage to make another carport/garage space asap to get the vette out of my way to have room to work on the TA so I can tear it apart, have room to work and leave it where I need it for as long as need be. bad thing is building materials take away car parts money

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
You must be registered for see images attach

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I know those are pretty crappy pics but just some of the back end, and of that pass frame rail torque box area that's kinda bad, along with the halfway repairs they did on the tail pan and the inner trunk drop offs or inner rear lower 1/4's whichever you wanna call em.

Somebody tell me how they bent a sway bar link? Also on that side in front of the axle tube on the frame its dented, surely the rearend didn't come forward and dent the frame?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

These two here don't look good. I bet if you test that area there with a pick hammer, there's no solid metal there.

It's hard to say what some monkey did to that sway bar link. Poor driving skills or poor jacking skills maybe.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea that's the pass. side torque box/frame rail area in back I figure it's not so great too.

I think I could honestly cut it out and then use a flat piece of say 1/8 or bigger and put in back in there since it's like a couple layers of sheet metal

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
do you guys get tires of me coming on here and saying not much of an update or not having pics? lol I figured so, so I guess I won't type a long thing.

I just painted some control arms after installing rubber bushings, I used the summit rust converter, then some rustoleum rattle can self etch primer, until I figured out what paint I wanted to use.

I ended up giving the rustoleum appliance epoxy in black on them. Looks good we'll see how they hold up. I found out the one lower is going to need an oversized balljoint, it only took one smack to knock it out and light pressure to reinstall, and later it fell out while sitting on the bench. I also need to buy another upper shaft for the upper control arm as the one I got new is offset and flat not rounded like stock so they'll match. I was going to do the shaft, nuts and washer silver and forgot and sprayed it all black, might try and go back and do it sometime.

I also tore the car down more to get it ready to tip over. I removed the rear bumper with the impact bar and all, found the crappy tail pan work to be sub par. I'll most likely need to change it. I also removed the decklid, spoiler and ends, wiring harness in back, basically everything. Now I have to unload the trunk and the parts on top, then decide whether or not to remove the glass front and rear. I'm afraid to damage it removing it, and I'm afraid to damage it rolling the car on it's side without removing it lol.

I am currently removing the bolts and nuts that hold the rear end, shocks and sway bar in place so that I can remove all that. Also getting materials to build the tip over jig.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You got at least a couple pics, lol. Or do you just want me to post em?

There was a local guy here selling a defogger rear glass if you accidentally break yours. The defogger was a bit uncommon I think.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
nice mines got defroster in it. if I had the extra cash and could get front or rear I'd do it just to have spares.

I was holding off on the goody pics LOL

ok ya talked me into it.

Big thanks to Andy who took my subframe and fixed it up for me. He said he could have done better, I don't see it, looks perfect to me. I think it looks as good and close to factory as anyone could get it. Also this conversation we had or pm's and the pics was the best news I have had on this car in awhile after me doing nothing but finding bad and rust etc. This really picked me up and picked up my interest and motivation.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Lol, that long gap in your post made me think my phone was broken.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
well rear end is ready to come out after today. I had 2 cut both upper shacles bolts off because th enuts were so rusty even with the right very tight fitting 6 point socket, they just twisted the end corners off, I figured they'd not come out. I also had to break out the impact for the upper shock mount bolts on th epass. side, only thing on the back I had to impact. I was so shocked that I could actually remove all 3 front spring pocket bolts on each with with a ratchet and not have those body clip u bolts break apart and spin. I was also shocked to find perfect shape shackle and leaf spring bushings in back not one crack. The front ones are falling apart and hanging out. I also looked closer at how to make the tip over jig bolt to the body, hopefully going to buy the materials to build it sometime soon. Now I have to move all the parts off it and out of the trunk.

The bad news is I found more rust, a hole this time and a good sized one about a 50 cent piece sized one in the top of the inner wheel well on th epass side, the TOP!!! HOW THE F&^% do you get a rust hole in the top? No wonder the lower portion inside the car has holes all that crap throwing up in there from the upper hole.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes