700R4 Lock Up Converter Talk and Diagnose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
sounds good!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I grounded terminal f driving in 3rd gear and it blew the 20 amp gauges/idle fuse. :wtf:

What did you ground this to when this happened? I wonder if it has to be grounded to pin A on the ALDL. :shrug: Have you tried that?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
What did you ground this to when this happened? I wonder if it has to be grounded to pin A on the ALDL. :shrug: Have you tried that?

I was in a hurry so I grabbed a piece of wire I had that had an alligator clip on one end. So I stuck the wire in pin "f" and laid the ali clip on the floor. And once I got on the road around 35 mph in 3rd, I took the clip and grounded it to the ashtray metal, that's when the fuse popped and half the stuff in the truck died.

Ground is a ground aint it? If I rigged it up to just use the ground on the connector then I have to wire up a switch.

Also, I just re-read this post by Jim below. I noticed the word diode there, is that something that could be messed up? Are we certain it's a ground signal that operates the TCC and not a positive signal?

I am thinking his wires are good, because he got a positive reading through pin F, which yes, is a computer controlled ground(it branches off inside the harness, one end goes to the ecm, has a diode i think, and the other goes to pin f, no diode) but he is seeing power through the TCC solenoid coil. If anything in that wire was grounding in the trans, it would be locked up until he hit the brake, cutting power on the positive side.
Im trippin on the fact that it blew a fuse.
He can also ground F by jumping it to A, which is the chassis ground that is used for grounding pin B for diagnostics.

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I was in a hurry so I grabbed a piece of wire I had that had an alligator clip on one end. So I stuck the wire in pin "f" and laid the ali clip on the floor. And once I got on the road around 35 mph in 3rd, I took the clip and grounded it to the ashtray metal, that's when the fuse popped and half the stuff in the truck died.

Ground is a ground aint it? If I rigged it up to just use the ground on the connector then I have to wire up a switch.

Also, I just re-read this post by Jim below. I noticed the word diode there, is that something that could be messed up? Are we certain it's a ground signal that operates the TCC and not a positive signal?
Everything That requires 12 volts, is operated by the computer using Grounds. Any power that comes from this particular computer is 5 volts, no more. That 5v is usually a reference voltage provided to the TPS and IAC valve.

The AIR diverter, Injectors, TCC lockup are from the switched 12v from the Ignition switch.

Only the A/C clutch signal wire is the only non battery provided 12v that the computer sees.
The diode would be on the ecm wire, to keep the positve going through the coil of the TCc solenoid back into the ecm.
No diode on the wire for pin F, becaus it is open, and you want to see power there for testing.
Pin A goes to Chassis/engine ground through the harness.
All the testing that I have had you do, I have done on my truck before having you do it...LOL.
I had all my wiring hanging out with the ECM while I was tuning, so i grounded the wire from F to the ECM Case.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
So is grounding f to the ash tray frame acceptable for this test?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
So is grounding f to the ash tray frame acceptable for this test?

si' senior!
When you were testing pin F with the meter, did you hit the brake to see if power cut off?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I took a volt meter and showed 12V at term "f".

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
It disrupts it, as it should, just checked.

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Still trying to brainstorm on this.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Me too. We have pretty much coverde everything up top from what I can see from going through diagrams. I think the next step is to drop the trans pan and check the switches, and just replace the TCC solenoid.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Me too. We have pretty much coverde everything up top from what I can see from going through diagrams. I think the next step is to drop the trans pan and check the switches, and just replace the TCC solenoid.

When you asked me to check the park switch is that something to do with this or just the check engine light?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
When you asked me to check the park switch is that something to do with this or just the check engine light?

And EGR. VSS, P/N switch are very important to TCC and EGR operation, Idle, blah blah blah....

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
And EGR. VSS, P/N switch are very important to TCC and EGR operation, Idle, blah blah blah....

Right. Now I got a lot of slop in the shifter linakge, so that may be an influence?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman