700r4 Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Will do that as soon as I get it back

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes... I have both ATSG Blue manuls & the Green update. TONS of changes. I think 93 one of the most within just the 1 yr!
Actually, I think 88 was the most changes in 1 year, and the changes in the 93 model weren't really all that important due the fact the changes were made mostly in anticipation of the 4L60-E coming along and this made more of the 4L60-E parts backwards compatible or even forward compatible to the 4L60-E. The 93 700r4's are a bit more rare being that was the transition year and first year of the 4L60-E. And I happen to have 2 of the 93 unit cores. Both supposed to be working cores too, one with a chunk out of the bellhousing in a non supportive area so if I can't epoxy a cover over I could still use. However, I'm not that much of redneck, I got it mostly for the hard parts. I hoard 700r4 cores for some stupid reasons. :laughing1: Who am I fooling, I hoard all GM RWD transmission cores and converter cores too for that matter. I've got 6 of the getting hard to find Th350 converter cores.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, and I have all the upgrades year by year..
Yes, the green handbook, that's the one I'm talking about with the year to year changes and even into the 4L60-E enhancements that are backwards compatible. Real good book. I've got it both in print and on .pdf.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Actually, I think 88 was the most changes in 1 year, and the changes in the 93 model weren't really all that important due the fact the changes were made mostly in anticipation of the 4L60-E coming along and this made more of the 4L60-E parts backwards compatible or even forward compatible to the 4L60-E. The 93 700r4's are a bit more rare being that was the transition year and first year of the 4L60-E. And I happen to have 2 of the 93 unit cores. Both supposed to be working cores too, one with a chunk out of the bellhousing in a non supportive area so if I can't epoxy a cover over I could still use. However, I'm not that much of redneck, I got it mostly for the hard parts. I hoard 700r4 cores for some stupid reasons. :laughing1: Who am I fooling, I hoard all GM RWD transmission cores and converter cores too for that matter. I've got 6 of the getting hard to find Th350 converter cores.

I tend to do the same, otherwise the yards get rid of them eventually. Good quality metal & parts are becoming harder to come by. Older vehicle parts are also becoming harder to come by. Most of our scrap metal heading over seas to China & Russia... and in turn they send us back diluted cheap metal made into new parts. SMH I wish USA didn't throw away our manufacturing ... or most of it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Next time you get a chance to get under the truck @Splandman Look at that first # in this location. That'll tell us what year the trans case is.

You must be registered for see images attach
By the way, the other well to tell that a first digit 9 is an 82 or 89 model is, the 82 model has the all the pressure taps on the passenger side, the 89 does not. So if you see a 9 with pressure taps, RUN, if you see a 9 with NO pressure taps grab that bitch.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I just look for a case that has the rainbow casting line on the right side.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes, the green handbook, that's the one I'm talking about with the year to year changes and even into the 4L60-E enhancements that are backwards compatible. Real good book. I've got it both in print and on .pdf.
Yes, very good book. Where did you find it in .pdf??, I tried to find it for my shop laptop so I don't have to dig into my print copy all the time and get it dirty..

Never mind I just found it, duhhh... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
If you order the mini CD, it's the .pdf version. I prefer the books..... i suppose photo copy what u need at the time to keep them clean

I think both Amazon & Ebay have them

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you order the mini CD, it's the .pdf version. I prefer the books..... i suppose photo copy what u need at the time to keep them clean

Thanks, I just found it..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I just look for a case that has the rainbow casting line on the right side.
Yup, the good ole rainbow casting line and no pressure taps is what tell people to look for. Now the pressure tap thing, right there during the transition period, I've been told there are SOME of the good cases that DO have the pressure taps. I've been keeping my eye out for one and never found one yet. I'd like to have one just for experimental purposes and learning how they tick. When you put gauges at all those different ports, each one tells a story and I'm stupid like that. Even though the story doesn't really matter, and all you really need to know is line pressure at certain points, it would still be cool to get to know the theory and BS like that. I have a feeling GM did that early on for their own benefit of R&D, troubleshooting and what not as they started getting things figured out, there wasn't a need for the other taps.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Well, I wasn't going to say since you're female, but I too prefer the .pdf so I can read the computer instead, scroll, skip pages, blow up pics etc. My hard copy sits near the ******* in the bathroom along with my Th350 and Th400 bibles by Ron Sessions.

It's kind of funny, I've had buddies come over before and you know transmission guys, we all have our own ways and beliefs. This new guy comes over, a friend of a friend, he starts this arguement with me over the 700r4 3/4 clutch pack, and he's not even a transmission builder, he's talking **** he heard from someone else so I argued a bit, but I'm the type, not worth the arguement, you're not changing my mind so I'll let you stay a ******* if you want to, then I back down. :laughing1: Then our common friends says, I don't think I'd argue with him about this dude, have you been into his bathroom to take a **** yet? OK then, STFU you don't know what you're talking about. :happy175:

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Lmao!!! @HotRodPC Oh man! The people who are so stupid, they are just too stupid to understand HOW STUPID they are!! Surely a waste of time to argue with that type... lol

I like that idea... but most girls I know, including myself, don't spend too long a time on the John... I'd barely get a chance to open the book. hee hee hee

Instead I have them at my bed side... good bedtime reads. :D

Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yup, the good ole rainbow casting line and no pressure taps is what tell people to look for. Now the pressure tap thing, right there during the transition period, I've been told there are SOME of the good cases that DO have the pressure taps. I've been keeping my eye out for one and never found one yet..
Hmmm, never heard of or seen of one of those cases with the pressure taps, gotta be rare if there is such a thing, gonna have to keep my eye out for one now..

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Hmmm, never heard of or seen of one of those cases with the pressure taps, gotta be rare if there is such a thing, gonna have to keep my eye out for one now..

Do you mean, for the rare 89 HotRod mentioned? The one I'm modifying now has all those taps.. but it's an 86. TV started acting up, so now was as good a time as any to do it before it hurt anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD