700r4 Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I haven't been on here in quite a while. My truck went through quite a few changes, most for the better, but I have been through either 4 or 5 700r4 rebuilds in about 2 years.

Here is my current setup.

383 making about 450hp/450 ft. lbs, NP208, 4.10 gears, 33's, 700r4. Last night the 700r4 had a failure at about 65 mph and lost all its fluid, I left the truck at a gas station until I can figure out how to get it home. Couldn't really tell what failed because the whole under side of the truck was drenched.

The transmission is still under warranty, it has maybe 1500-2000 miles on it, but I have had it back in this shop so many times that I think I'm just done with them. Some of the failures have been their fault, two of them were other shops fault. Not really sure on this one yet.

My question is can I trust a 700r4 with my set up for a daily driver? I do not go mudding, I do get on it almost every time I drive it, but I'm not roasting the tires or anything....except on dirt roads. I know a lot of people run this transmission that make more power than I do. I also know a lot of people hate it. I have to have an overdrive. When I'm running 65 mph right now I am right at 2k rpm and I like that. I drive on highways quite a bit.

Some people have said I should get a 4L80E in there, not sure about adapters for the 208 to 4L80E and don't have the cash to get a new transfer case.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
First thing is to identify the leak, wash it all down clean and let dry, then fire it up and let it idle and watch for a leak, if it's leaking that bad it will show real quick.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It may not have too much left in there. I was having what I believe are converter issues before it failed. I have to figure out how to get it home. It's only about 4 miles from my Dads ranch and he has some big trailers I can grab but I'm not sure it will drive up the ramps and trailer has no winch. May have to call a tow truck, which sucks because we are pretty far out in the country.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Throw a couple quarts in and check the level, just put enough in to get home.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Throw a couple quarts in and check the level, just put enough in to get home.

It was leaking way too much for that. It has been towed back to the trans shop but I don't have a lot of faith it will be fixed correctly. It is under warranty but even if they give it back to me and it's moving, I will probably be searching right away for a replacement. Just not sure if I should just go to a TH 400 or not and Im a bit confused if I can hook that to my 208.

I spoke with a different well known local builder (Larry Wilson) and he said that he does not like the 700r4 in 4X4's making 450 to 500 HP with bigger tires. Aside from being a builder, he is also a dealer for TCI and when I talked to them they said theirs can handle that much power easily. So that confused me a little more. The whole thing has me wishing I just had a 5 speed.

If I understand correctly, 3rd gear in a TH 400 is 1:1, which is the same as 3rd gear in the 700r4. If that is correct, then I will be running down the road at 2600 rpm or so when doing 65 if I go the three speed route.

Mr. Gutwrench

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
The pump/torque converter bushings are known to work loose and move into the front seal on 700r4’s, resulting in a massive fluid leak. Or the trans may have overheated and puked fluid out the vent.

Any knowledgeable builder would know how to upgrade your trans to 4l65e specs. If your trans is an 82’, there have been a ton of upgrades since then. A properly build 700r4 would work well with your set-up, IMO.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
But a 4L80 would be the cats nuts.
For strength maybe, but it's electronic(PITA)and it weighs a ton, also not quite a bolt in, he don't have that much power that a 700 can't handle for what he says he does with it, if he decides to all out then that's another story, lol..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
For strength maybe, but it's electronic(PITA)and it weighs a ton, also not quite a bolt in, he don't have that much power that a 700 can't handle for what he says he does with it, if he decides to all out then that's another story, lol..
I've read about manual only conversion on these and the 6l80s, but no not a bolt in and go. Just gotta put as big a cooler on as possible for towing, and not a **** ass tube cooler either.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've read about manual only conversion on these and the 6l80s, but no not a bolt in and go. Just gotta put as big a cooler on as possible for towing, and not a **** ass tube cooler either.
Yeah, I read some stuff about em too, I'd like to find a core to play with would be interesting..

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
I 100% agree with Mr Gutwrench.. with the right modifications & decent tranny guy, the 700R4s are reliable & almost bullet proof. I wish I knew a tranny guy out in your neck of the woods to recommend.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

The cost of the 4L80E makes it impossible for me at the moment. If cost wasn't an issue for me I would probably just order one from TCI, along with their controller, but it all costs a ton.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/ez-tcutm-...it-gm-4l60-4l65-4l70-4l80-and-4l85e-to-09html

I was talking with my wife about this last night and both of us believe we have been through 5 rebuilds and this is number 6, all in 2 years. They have not all been the fault of the builder. Two were the fault of other shops.

The first time it was rebuilt it was just because it was old and used up. Everything was supposed to have been replaced and upgraded to handle more power since I knew engine would be replaced ($1500 rebuild)

Second time was due to a seal giving way while pulling a empty car hauler at 70 mph down the turnpike. This was only about 1000 miles after rebuild and was covered under warranty. I don't believe the whole thing was rebuilt this time because I shut it down really quickly.

Third time I had the truck in another shop getting completely unrelated work done. They did not hook the TV cable back up when they were done and burned up overdrive and third while test driving the truck. That rebuild cost me $1300. (Shop that screwed it up closed the doors and I couldn't recover a thing)

Fourth time it started slipping badly, had trouble getting it in reverse, also covered under warranty, don't even recall what the issue was supposed to have been.

Fifth time I had the truck in another shop just before last Christmas....a performance shop from a pretty well known local guy in the OKC area. He was installing a Holley Sniper unit to replace my Qjet. They also did not set up the TV cable correctly and I lost overdrive before getting the truck the 45 miles back to my house. On top of that, they did not return my Qjet, I thought it was in the box the Sniper came in and found it wasn't once I got home. When I called them they said it was lost or accidentally thrown away. I contacted the shop and continually got no response from the owner. (another $1300 rebuild)

And that brings us to now. Since the last rebuild I have had numerous issues. It shifted in to 3rd and overdrive too soon. Felt like it would go into overdrive around 35-40 mph. The truck felt super strong in 1st and 2nd and then fell on its face. I changed from the stock gears to 4.10 gears and it helped some but not enough. I also started to get some shudder when going in to 3rd and 4th. Once in overdrive though and cruising at highway speeds it was great. If I wanted to pass it would operate just like it should. I took it back to trans builder and told him it wasn't working correctly in 3rd and 4th. He drove it and said I needed to drive it in 3rd unless on highway then shift to overdrive. That was a month ago. I continued doing that and the shudder got worse, then this massive failure.

I may end up ordering this 700r4 from TCI. It's expensive but I have spent a ridiculous amount already. I just want to drive the damn truck. I'm really happy with the engine build but tough to enjoy it when the trans is messed up all the time.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/maximizertm-4x4-700r4-transmission-30-spline-1984-93-chevrolet-6746html

Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The cost of the 4L80E makes it impossible for me at the moment. If cost wasn't an issue for me I would probably just order one from TCI, along with their controller, but it all costs a ton.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/ez-tcutm-...it-gm-4l60-4l65-4l70-4l80-and-4l85e-to-09html

I was talking with my wife about this last night and both of us believe we have been through 5 rebuilds and this is number 6, all in 2 years. They have not all been the fault of the builder. Two were the fault of other shops.

The first time it was rebuilt it was just because it was old and used up. Everything was supposed to have been replaced and upgraded to handle more power since I knew engine would be replaced ($1500 rebuild)

Second time was due to a seal giving way while pulling a empty car hauler at 70 mph down the turnpike. This was only about 1000 miles after rebuild and was covered under warranty. I don't believe the whole thing was rebuilt this time because I shut it down really quickly.

Third time I had the truck in another shop getting completely unrelated work done. They did not hook the TV cable back up when they were done and burned up overdrive and third while test driving the truck. That rebuild cost me $1300. (Shop that screwed it up closed the doors and I couldn't recover a thing)

Fourth time it started slipping badly, had trouble getting it in reverse, also covered under warranty, don't even recall what the issue was supposed to have been.

Fifth time I had the truck in another shop just before last Christmas....a performance shop from a pretty well known local guy in the OKC area. He was installing a Holley Sniper unit to replace my Qjet. They also did not set up the TV cable correctly and I lost overdrive before getting the truck the 45 miles back to my house. On top of that, they did not return my Qjet, I thought it was in the box the Sniper came in and found it wasn't once I got home. When I called them they said it was lost or accidentally thrown away. I contacted the shop and continually got no response from the owner. (another $1300 rebuild)

And that brings us to now. Since the last rebuild I have had numerous issues. It shifted in to 3rd and overdrive too soon. Felt like it would go into overdrive around 35-40 mph. The truck felt super strong in 1st and 2nd and then fell on its face. I changed from the stock gears to 4.10 gears and it helped some but not enough. I also started to get some shudder when going in to 3rd and 4th. Once in overdrive though and cruising at highway speeds it was great. If I wanted to pass it would operated just like it should. I took it back to trans builder and told him it wasn't working correctly in 3rd and 4th. He drove it and said I needed to drive it in 3rd unless on highway then shift to overdrive. That was a month ago. I continued doing that and the shudder got worse, then this massive failure.

I may end up ordering this 700r4 from TCI. It's expensive but I have spent a ridiculous amount already. I just want to drive the damn truck. I'm really happy with the engine build but tough to enjoy it when the trans is messed up all the time.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/maximizertm-4x4-700r4-transmission-30-spline-1984-93-chevrolet-6746html
Man, I don't know how you did it I'd a shot myself by now,lol, sure glad I do my own..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
First thing is to identify the leak, wash it all down clean and let dry, then fire it up and let it idle and watch for a leak, if it's leaking that bad it will show real quick.
I disagree, the first thing to do is figure out who the hell is building these damn things? You've got the 4.10 gears, not 2.73 or 3.08, so you've helped the 700r4 there, you're only running 33in tires, and that's good for the 700r4 too. Forget the hp, that doesn't matter. What does matter is you're running 450ft lbs or torque so the weak 700r4 is going to need some mods and upgrades to hold that power. What's being put into this transmission is what's going to matter. Also, what year transmission? Is it an 88 or later? Later the better. 87 is doable, but 88 and above is even better. This is why I suggest to people, Suck it up, bite the bullet, spend the money to go 4L80-E and buy the stand alone adjustable controller and weld the phukin hood shut and be done with it. 4-5 transmissions in 2 years is ridiculous. And by the time you bought all the upgrades that a 700r4 you could damn near pay for the 4L80-E.

With that much torque and probably spinning some good rpms, you need the input shaft sleeved, billet super hold servos, smart shell, wider kevlar bands, boost valve in the pump etc etc, the list goes on. Sonnax makes all those parts and after all those upgrades, you've still got a 700r4. You know what you get when you put lipstick on a pig? It's still a pig, just a little prettier.

Just saying, consider spending the cash and go 4L80-E. I wish I was set up to work on transmissions or I'd have you bring me that 700r4 and we'd put some **** in it and make it better. You're not to far from me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406