700r4 Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
How on earth can it be back in the same shop numerous times and the converter still be unhooked? I was wondering if they wired it differently or something. This is ridiculous.

One really bad thing if it is a TV cable adjustment, is that I had a C10 a while back and the carb was messed up. I replaced it with an edelbrock carb and new absolutely nothing about TV cables. Went on youtube and watched some videos then went out there and adjusted it. Never had one problem with it. If I can watch a youtube video and do it, you would think a shop that only builds tans can.

I've found, before and since I ran my own shop, that alot of shops are actually R&R houses. They recomend rebuild for everything, because they don't know how to fix anything. Then it comes in on a pallet, and they just swap it.

TV cables are pretty old news now, whole generation of mechanics never even had to touch them.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
I've found, before and since I ran my own shop, that alot of shops are actually R&R houses. They recomend rebuild for everything, because they don't know how to fix anything. Then it comes in on a pallet, and they just swap it.

TV cables are pretty old news now, whole generation of mechanics never even had to touch them.

Yeah I agree with that statement. It's just easier to swap than having to use your brain to diagnose. Also less time for the most part... unless there's an external issue frying to components you're replacing. Smh

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Agreed, it's really hard to say for certain without a gauge on the pressure port, but that looks like a universal cable, and like it was too long to begin with.
A gauge is the proper way, but if you don't have one the alternative is to make sure at WOT the TV plunger is all the way in the bore, then if the shifts are way late you can push back a click at a time on the cable to bring the shifts down, usually 2-3 clicks and it's about right, can't see much of the carb linkage but the arm don't look long enough from the center of the shaft to the cable end, probably why the cable isn't ratcheted out???..

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Surprisingly, they have pretty good reviews from what I've found, so far.
I only searched lightly, but will continue. The mistakes or mishaps that have happened thus far & still aren't corrected, like connector is just telling me otherwise.

They seem to be pretty well respected, and when you talk to Brian (the owner) he is a really nice guy. I've talked to other shops that seem to think a lot of Brian. It's definitely frustrating as hell. They work on stuff a whole lot nicer than mine, and a lot more powerful. I won't be going back though. Just the amount of wasted time alone has me worn the hell out.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
They seem to be pretty well respected, and when you talk to Brian (the owner) he is a really nice guy. I've talked to other shops that seem to think a lot of Brian. It's definitely frustrating as hell. They work on stuff a whole lot nicer than mine, and a lot more powerful. I won't be going back though. Just the amount of wasted time alone has me worn the hell out.

I don't blame you, my level of patience is fairly low. I try not to be a dick, but when I show up, talk with someone, then pay them to do it, I expect it done correctly and timely, especially since I am usually not using the lowest bidder.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It is shifting early for spirited driving. Possibly that clutches are still somewhat ok and it just shifts too early. Need to get the tv cable set correctly. It is possible the trans has been converted to a fully hydraulic lockup. one way to test is while at speed in 3rd or 4th gear, blip the throttle a bit and monitor rpms. If rpms follow the throttle then no lock up, but if rpms stay steady with speed then it is in lockup.

Last edited:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The bracket it's clipped into looks aftermarket also. Almost as if the bracket itself were adjustable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84