69-72 blazer vs 70-72 jimmy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I've been looking for a 69-72 blazer. I come upon the jimmy's from the same era, as well. they look almost the same except the grill and lights. is it as simple as swapping the grill and the lights to make the jimmy look like a blazer? I don't like the gmc front end nearly as much.

I'm looking for a project around $7-10k. I don't mind the work but don't want a rust bucket. I found this one and it's really nice but they are asking $17500 and I won't really get to work on it much, as it's almost finished. not to mention I want all 1 ton running gear, so I'd like a roller more than a finished truck. https://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/d/nice-1971-k5-blazer-4x4/6489145305.html
You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I believe Chevy and GMC shared fenders in ‘67, shared a slightly different design again in ‘68, and went their separate ways in ‘69. The GMC headlight buckets are a must, and the core supports are different but probably slightly so. I’m willing to bet there’s an Action Line thread on the necessary modification. I actually like the GMC grille, and my favorite is the ‘67-‘68 Chevy grille. The much more common Chevy grille doesn’t blow my skirt up, and for me, it wouldn’t be worth the swap. That’s just my $0.02.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I believe Chevy and GMC shared fenders in ‘67, shared a slightly different design again in ‘68, and went their separate ways in ‘69. The GMC headlight buckets are a must, and the core supports are different but probably slightly so. I’m willing to bet there’s an Action Line thread on the necessary modification. I actually like the GMC grille, and my favorite is the ‘67-‘68 Chevy grille. The much more common Chevy grille doesn’t blow my skirt up, and for me, it wouldn’t be worth the swap. That’s just my $0.02.
the blazers first year was 69 and 70 for the jimmy. the hood and the fenders look the same almost. I just can't get on board with the four light gmc

edit: I definitely see the difference in the fenders behind the light area, but they look like where they meet the door to be the same.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

I had thought the GMC fenders were the same as the '68 Chevy fenders, but I could be wrong about that.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I think its mostly because my uncle had a chevy blazer growing up, it's not that I don't think the gmc looks cool, I'm just in love with the chevy.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I had thought the GMC fenders were the same as the '68 Chevy fenders, but I could be wrong about that.

You’re right! I just went and checked the part numbers on the repop fenders, and ‘68 Chevy is the same as ‘68-‘72 GMC.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I think its mostly because my uncle had a chevy blazer growing up, it's not that I don't think the gmc looks cool, I'm just in love with the chevy.

I get that. I didn’t imply that I thought it’s ugly because I don’t think it is, and I think I know why people don’t like the GMC style. It’s not nearly as streamlined and reminds me of riding on those 67-72 school buses even though, ironically, the one that my school had the ‘67-‘68 Chevy front cap. Man, that bus was a piece of crap.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
You have to have the core support foward. 69-72 are the same. If you want the tall hood, just find everything for a 72 Chevy.

I had a 68 GMC short bed one time in my life, and I was like you didn't like the quad lights or the ugly ass grille. Found a wrecked Chevy longbed. Took everything from the grille, trim, and core support. Made life real easy. I even took the head light wiring harness, and found a better front bumper.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I have a set of the gmc headlight buckets but that doesn't help any does it?
And I am using my 72 front end on the c10 Sub.

The others are correct, rad support and everything forward. I want to use an earlier solid bumper and hide my turn signals. Looks cleaner imo.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
You could take the letters off the hood and 99.99 % of people will assume its a blazer, including most Blazer or Jimmy owners, a lot of the front end detail is missed on even some of the sharpest eyes ;).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20