6.2 Swap. Opinions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
And from what I hear, I would not waste the money to convert your truck to one of these 6.2's. If the truck was already set up with it, differant story. I'd try to keep it, but not convert to it. I think the big concensus about the 6.2 is, and as partially stated here, its a good running fuel mpg motor, but tolerates very little abuse or heavy pulling. It has the torque to pull heavy loades, but not suggested to do. If I had one, I'd drive it like grandpa as BearPig said, just to be an mpg grocery gitter around town truck. My 85 K10 is originally set up 6.2 and had been converted to gas, and I thoght about going 6.2 back in it, but NO. I plan on giving that 4x4 hell after I get the 3/4 or 1 ton 4.10 or 4.56 axles in it, so I'm going gas.

The last time i was planning this swap I came to the conclusion that all I really NEED to buy is the Flywheel. Everything should bolt in place, and as far as wiring goes.... You just run the hot wire from your distributor to the injector pump. You modify the fuel system and add a ford glow plug controller!

I dont tow much, I drive on the highway ALOT so I am thinking this swap might be worth it. I dont want a economy car, and a towing truck and all that ******** but rather one truck that is capable of great mileage and off road capability. An all around pickup sounds perfect to me.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If I were you I would go for it for those reasons, but ONLY if it is a standard. I watched some videos of an automatic struggling to get out of a sandy wash with an auto trans and it really sounded like a sick truck, like his park brake was on. I watched a few more vids and all of them with an auto trans sounded like the torque converter was just stalling out at full throttle and it couldnt get out of whatever it was in. But the standards will stand up and roast em.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Imans is a SM465. Other thing to consider too, its not like you are talking a good 350 or a 454. Your swapiing away from a Wee O Five. You already have a decent running 6.2 in that tree hoggin Burb in NM don't you???

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Imans is a SM465. Other thing to consider too, its not like you are talking a good 350 or a 454. Your swapiing away from a Wee O Five. You already have a decent running 6.2 in that tree hoggin Burb in NM don't you???

yea the burbs got a 6.2 but I think its junk. Usually the gm glow plug controller goes out and they will not start without ether. Once you ether them the rods get smashed down and the engine loses compression. After the compression is gone the motor wont start without ether.

A low compression motor will start and run fine, it just wont start without ether. The motor in the Burb ran great but it only started after my ******* cousin sprayed a ton of ether down the TB while I was cranking it. The burbs motor could just be the glow plug controller being bad but since I found starting fluid in the back seat I suspected it was ethered to death.

The one in my dads truck is a low mileage unit GM installed into this guys truck, I am confident its got a million miles of road ahead of her! I tried calling tonight but he was already asleep, i will see what he says in the morning.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
yea the burbs got a 6.2 but I think its junk. Usually the gm glow plug controller goes out and they will not start without ether. Once you ether them the rods get smashed down and the engine loses compression. After the compression is gone the motor wont start without ether.

A low compression motor will start and run fine, it just wont start without ether. The motor in the Burb ran great but it only started after my ******* cousin sprayed a ton of ether down the TB while I was cranking it. The burbs motor could just be the glow plug controller being bad but since I found starting fluid in the back seat I suspected it was ethered to death.

The one in my dads truck is a low mileage unit GM installed into this guys truck, I am confident its got a million miles of road ahead of her! I tried calling tonight but he was already asleep, i will see what he says in the morning.

Hmmmmmmmmm, kinda makes me wonder. Maybe I should try to find a 6.2 and put my 85 K10 that was originally 6.2 back to 6.2. I'd imagine that is why that truck has the 3.08 gears. Diesel doesn't like rpms, but has the torque so you don't really require mega low gears, but if I do that, then I won't want to put the 14b full float in it and convert it to 8 lug and the 3/4 ton springs. Nawww maybe another 2WD project, I wanna rasie mega hell with that 85 K10. But, maybe I can take stuff like the guage cluster etc and put a 6.2 in my 88 2wd 3/4 Burb with the 3.73 14b FF that’s in it??? Maybe??? Have an around town mpg Burb !!! Choices, Choices, just no damn funds !!!!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Hmmmmmmmmm, kinda makes me wonder. Maybe I should try to find a 6.2 and put my 85 K10 that was originally 6.2 back to 6.2. I'd imagine that is why that truck has the 3.08 gears. Diesel doesn't like rpms, but has the torque so you don't really require mega low gears, but if I do that, then I won't want to put the 14b full float in it and convert it to 8 lug and the 3/4 ton springs. Nawww maybe another 2WD project, I wanna rasie mega hell with that 85 K10. But, maybe I can take stuff like the guage cluster etc and put a 6.2 in my 88 2wd 3/4 Burb with the 3.73 14b FF that’s in it??? Maybe??? Have an around town mpg Burb !!! Choices, Choices, just no damn funds !!!!

To be honest, I would put a 6.2 in your daily driver you were talking about putting a 305 into for the grocery getter. I guarantee after you drive it around you will be hooked on the 6.2 Detroit. Its really not that involved to convert to diesel.

Maybe even put a 6.2 into that new K15 you just got, the 350 and all its power could go into a tow vehicle or toy.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nawww, I am actually happy with that K1500 set up. Its got the gear ratio I prefer, and for 75 mile one way trips to my dads 160 acres for hunting, fishing, wheeling, ATV riding etc, the 700r4 with OD will come in handy too. The motor is less than 10K miles on it. so I'll beef up the trans to tolerate some abuse and even pull trailers in OD and call it a good middle of the road daily driver. But I can have 2 or 3 daily drivers. That won't hurt my feelings. My 1 and ONLY issue with SBs is the fuel mileage. If a 6.2 will get me some awesome milegae, then I'd consider doing, but in something that is already been modified, or I have plans to modify. But no, not that new truck. I think I am going to like it just as is stock even though its just 1/2 ton. Its got a Perfromer EPS intake, Eddy Carb, and Headers on it already. I might upgrade to an RV cam since its got the other adders for it already, but nothing extreme. It'll be good enough to have a little light to light medium duty fun with. With all the trucks I got, I can have some for practical use and some for tearing up and giving pure hell. I'll build one just to see if it can be torn up and just keep making it better until the day comes it can't be tore up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
630erik1