6.2 Swap. Opinions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Right now I am exactly 881 one miles from my family back in Arizona. I calculated a round trip there and back to be about 400 bucks in Gasoline. Thats calculating the trip with me getting an average of 15 Mpg and average cost for a gallon of gas being 3.00 dollars.

My dads friend just gave him a Crew Cab dually with a VERY low mileage 6.2 he had installed at the GM dealership, total end cost was 9k for the swap. My dad HATES diesel engines with a passion.

If my Dad goes for it I am thinking about taking a trip down to Arizona and Swapping the 6.2 and all the ******** with it into my truck so I could get 20+ MPG.

Only thing I am worried about that will not interchange is the hard fuel lines going from tank to engine compartment. I know the Diesel ones are bigger but still uses a mechanical lift pump to the Diesel injector pump, at least I wont have to deal with the high pressure ******** to the engine. I know for sure the pickup units in the tank are different between gas and diesel!

Anybody have thoughts on this?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Also forgot to mention I will have to find a new flywheel for the diesel.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Every once in a while I get the urge to do this, but it fades quickly. From what I hear the 6.2 aint much of an engine. Even people who like it dont brag too hard on it.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Yeah, the 6.2 isn't much to brag about, but if you can stand driving like a grandma then it will give you great mileage

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Every once in a while I get the urge to do this, but it fades quickly. From what I hear the 6.2 aint much of an engine. Even people who like it dont brag too hard on it.

Im really considering this swap as a HUGE improvement. The engine has around the power of a 305, after driving my diesel suburban around It felt like more power than my current 305. There is 3 problems I read about the motor and they are,

1-Injector pump.
2-Glow plug controller.
3-Timing chain.

Glow plug controller is fixed by buying a ford unit you wire in that fixes the problem GM could not.

Timing chains stretch out and throw off the injection timing causing it to run like ****. They make gear driven timing for these engines so that solves that problem.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
I think you can run the 6.5 injector pump and fuel pump

Throw on the Banks turbo kit and it should be decently fun

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
They're not terrible, I think they get the worst rep from people comparing them to a Cummins. They have gobs of torque compared to a worn-out 350, but when push comes to shove they arent the greatest for pulling heavy loads, which is what most truck diesel's are bred for.
[yt]tYKMlCZ0-dQ[/yt]

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'm not a huge fan but if I was ever to swap in a diesel it'd have to be a cummins! With that said you can't beat the deal if your dad's just willing to swap motors with you.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
As far as the fuel issue getting it pumped from a frame mounted tank to the fuel pump on the motor, maybe consider mounting a bed mounted fuel tank like the contractors use. ;)

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Im gonna call in the morning and see if he wants to, I know he mentioned it once a while ago. I dont plan on doing much towing with it, I just think it would be sweet as hell to get 20 or more mpg's out of my truck. Thats having your cake and eating it too! Another cool thing to look into is refining your own bio diesel, a few dudes on dieselplace.com do it in their garage.

As for performance.... Some people put the banks sidewinder turbo on theirs and say its almost around the same power as a stock 350 Gas, but your back down to 15 mpg and below.

One guy was even trying to blow his up running 19 pounds of boost on his and the thing was actually holding together!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
As far as the fuel issue getting it pumped from a frame mounted tank to the fuel pump on the motor, maybe consider mounting a bed mounted fuel tank like the contractors use. ;)

Haha thats an idea, someone just gave me a little bit of info over on Diesel place, they said all I have to do is modify the fuel sending unit for returning fuel from the injector pump and injectors.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
If I recall correctly, diesels live happily at very high boost pressures. I may be thinking of the Cummins, but don't they run thirty plus psi?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I am not positive about the cummins boost pressure but its a completely different animal. I know the Cummins is brutally tough and can handle the boost, you can crank the fuel way up and they keep building power, they have the fewest moving parts so they can rev higher and also last longer. The modern Diesels are in an entire different class than the 6.2 Detroit.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
They're not terrible, I think they get the worst rep from people comparing them to a Cummins. They have gobs of torque compared to a worn-out 350, but when push comes to shove they arent the greatest for pulling heavy loads, which is what most truck diesel's are bred for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYKMlCZ0-dQ

I like this quote on this you tube video. There is always some dumb punk posting a negative comment about someone elses stuff. Apparently someone said a 350 can do a better burnout than a 6.2. Well Duh, who the hell don't know that. But I like this other guys response:

"yeah a gas engine wll do a better burnout. and the 6.2 is rated at 155 hp but the tourque wll twist your gas engine a new ********."

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And from what I hear, I would not waste the money to convert your truck to one of these 6.2's. If the truck was already set up with it, differant story. I'd try to keep it, but not convert to it. I think the big concensus about the 6.2 is, and as partially stated here, its a good running fuel mpg motor, but tolerates very little abuse or heavy pulling. It has the torque to pull heavy loades, but not suggested to do. If I had one, I'd drive it like grandpa as BearPig said, just to be an mpg grocery gitter around town truck. My 85 K10 is originally set up 6.2 and had been converted to gas, and I thoght about going 6.2 back in it, but NO. I plan on giving that 4x4 hell after I get the 3/4 or 1 ton 4.10 or 4.56 axles in it, so I'm going gas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skymagu