4x4 advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brad.webster

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe
Engine Size
I just traded for an 84 custom deluxe and was hoping for some advice. It's a SWB 80k miles on the clock 4x4 cold air not an ounce of rust anywhere few scratches on the tailgating but it's a*beautifulred*truck. Stick shift with granny low. Anyways my question is did I pay too much? All and all I'll have a little over 3700 in the truck. And what can I expect to get out of it if I resell? I really don't need it right now but it's so beautiful and seemed like a good deal with the condition it's in. Thanks for any feedback greatly appreciated.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
That's a really good price actually depending on what kind of mechanical issues it has? But even still a good clean rust free shell is worth the money IMO.

Post up some pics

What are your plans for the ol girl ?

brad.webster

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe
Engine Size
That's a really good price actually depending on what kind of mechanical issues it has? But even still a good clean rust free shell is worth the money IMO.

Post up some pics

What are your plans for the ol girl ?

I really want to keep it as original as possible so just some meatier tires brush guard and I really don't care for the double headlights it has much prefer the quads but will that hurt the value with it being original? Might throw a phantom grill on it instead. I'm gonna try to get in there and find the casting # on the block this afternoon. Guy says it has a 350 but vin code says 305 unless it's been swapped. Either way it's got wicked pull and I'd rather have the original 305 than a random 350.

Attachments

• 20150606_194042.jpg
    20150606_194042.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 130

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I really want to keep it as original as possible so just some meatier tires brush guard and I really don't care for the double headlights it has much prefer the quads but will that hurt the value with it being original? Might throw a phantom grill on it instead. I'm gonna try to get in there and find the casting # on the block this afternoon. Guy says it has a 350 but vin code says 305 unless it's been swapped. Either way it's got wicked pull and I'd rather have the original 305 than a random 350.

Unless you find the 305 with the matching numbers keep the 350 you'll be glad you did.

Don't do a phantom grille it just ruins the front. If you plan to swap any grille then do the suburban swap.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350

Seeing that you traded for it, it depends what you traded. Only you know the value of what it was you traded.

I'll admit that I couldn't stand the look of my 81 when bought it. I thought it the ugliest thing I had ever seen. I hated the four square headlights and I wanted the old round headlights on it. But after having it for a while and having separate high beams, it grew on me. I wouldn't change it now, I think it's a sexy looking truck now. If you want the resale value go NADA.org or.com, can't remember which it is. But it will give you the value. Kelly Blue Book may have the value, but the nada website is geared more for older vehicles. I like keeping the truck stock too. If anything slap some vortec heads on it and gain a little more power, it's worth it.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I didn't see the pic you posted until after my response, and I'm not familiar with the various years and their respective headlight setups, so I assumed you had the four square headlights like mine. I like the look of your 84 grill and headlights.

brad.webster

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe
Engine Size
Definitely keeping the 350 if there's already one in there but if it's the original 305 it's staying. Yeah I love the suburban front, is this something you have to do from a donor or is there a kit available?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
from the one picture it looks like a 5k truck to me

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350

That was my original thought too, but I like to research stuff so I check websites when it's possible.

brad.webster

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe
Engine Size

Thought about putting a for sale sign in the window for that amount I just Don't want to overprice it. Can't stand when people do that

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Definitely keeping the 350 if there's already one in there but if it's the original 305 it's staying. Yeah I love the suburban front, is this something you have to do from a donor or is there a kit available?

Donor only.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Thought about putting a for sale sign in the window for that amount I just Don't want to overprice it. Can't stand when people do that

hey man think of it this way, that could literally be someone's dream truck and to them its worth 8k, so in all reality your actually doing them a favor b selling it to them..... :angels2:

brad.webster

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe
Engine Size
hey man think of it this way, that could literally be someone's dream truck and to them its worth 8k, so in all reality your actually doing them a favor b selling it to them..... :angels2:

I like the way you think! I'm seriously considering keeping it especially since it's getting so hard to find them in this good of condition. This thing has original owners manual and paperwork where the original owner bought it with 28 miles on it. I'll be the third owner. The cash would help tremendously right now though

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
listen to this, I put my truck online for 10k last week. I thought it was kind of like a take it or leave it IDC price

The phone ran off the hook the first day I had to tell people no and take it back offline

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I like the way you think! I'm seriously considering keeping it especially since it's getting so hard to find them in this good of condition. This thing has original owners manual and paperwork where the original owner bought it with 28 miles on it. I'll be the third owner. The cash would help tremendously right now though

I'd keep it. Money goes too quickly. I put off a mortgage payment to get me a nice 65 3/4 ton fleetside back in April that I am the proud 3rd owner of. Didn't need it, but man did I want it. I am still recovering from that decision, but I'm not starving. Keep it, you'll regret selling it if you do. I like the fact that I can say I am the 2nd owner of two vehicles in my fleet, and 3rd owner of the other two vehicles. Keep the truck...:popcorn:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04