350 Tbi running bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you look at the two pics where he rotated both directions don't look like but couple degrees difference, normal slack, if the chain jumped the rotor would be way off??.

farmerchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
wonder if a intake manifold gasket leak or a vacuum problem(lines cracked or missing), egr clogged with the backfiring and loss of power

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Remember you have to take into consideration initial timing, if it's set at 12* initial timing the rotor will not line up with number one because that would be zero..

It's the base that moves when adjusting degrees or advancing/retarding... so rotor should still point to 1

I guess you could be right about the difference in both pics though. But that would directly connect to slack... still could've jumped a tooth depending on the gears used on this engine. As someone mentioned before, there were engines using a plastic gear for the timing components? Just don't remember which models or years, but quite sure it was a GM thing.

Another thing I did in all my TBI vehicles was to install an inline fuel gauge for checking off things when I do run into problems. I don't think it's a fuel issue here though, just saying.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
True, not everyone is picky about dizzy placement. And it could be fine the way it is too. I am, though because for me it helps diagnose things a little faster, at least on my vehicles.

I agree with compression testing at least, to check off things of possibility too. It would be nice to avoid having to take front cover off or know for sure if you have to or not.

IDK about the vac test though. When engines are running rough, the needle tends to bounce around too, at least in my experience. Or I'm just not good enough to diagnose with that. *shrugs*

I couldn't tell where the backfires were coming from in the video either, but I believe OP said he'd post another one.
You're exactly right about the vac gauge. BUT, how the vac gauge is acting can tell you what is wrong. We'll learn you something. Here's a link we have as a sticky in the Engine Performance section. If you go to the link included, then look at all the different scenarios of how the vac gauge is acting, you'll see a vac gauge is a very valuable tool for diagnosing engine performance issues.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/diagnose-engine-problems-w-vac-guage.1570/

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Here's another video. It doesn't appear the backfires are coming through the throttle body now. It did it a few times before but now that I've put the cap back on it hasn't done it. Notice I'm the video the stumble in rpms I was steadily increasing the throttle the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just by the sound of that, NO, the chain DID NOT jump time. So moving on... EGR valve would be a good thing to check. Make sure the pintle is not seized and opening and closing fine. Also make sure it's cleaned off, not gunked up with carbon to where it can't seal off completely. I suggest that, cuz it's an Easy cheap thing to do, and you can clean it too while it's out and can be considered general maintenance.

In fact, if you have a vac pump, hook it up to the EGR. Start the motor. Pump up the vac pump. If doesn't change, there's you're problem. If it stumbles badly, and may even shut the engine off, then that's NOT your problem. You're hoping the vac pump to the EGR will cause it to run badly and even shut off in some cases.

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
You're exactly right about the vac gauge. BUT, how the vac gauge is acting can tell you what is wrong. We'll learn you something. Here's a link we have as a sticky in the Engine Performance section. If you go to the link included, then look at all the different scenarios of how the vac gauge is acting, you'll see a vac gauge is a very valuable tool for diagnosing engine performance issues.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/diagnose-engine-problems-w-vac-guage.1570/
Nice! Thanks! I assume there's a video in that link but I can't watch on my phone. I appreciate the lesson!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Remember you have to take into consideration initial timing, if it's set at 12* initial timing the rotor will not line up with number one because that would be zero..
That's right, and add a little chain slop in there too so it could be off by 1 whole spot. If it's off 2 or more then you can about be certain.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nice! Thanks! I assume there's a video in that link but I can't watch on my phone. I appreciate the lesson!
No, you click on each of the scenarios and then it goes to a video of how a vac gauge is acting then tells you what the problem should be. Not sure if it'll work on a phone or not.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Just by the sound of that, NO, the chain DID NOT jump time. So moving on... EGR valve would be a good thing to check. Make sure the pintle is not seized and opening and closing fine. Also make sure it's cleaned off, not gunked up with carbon to where it can't seal off completely. I suggest that, cuz it's an Easy cheap thing to do, and you can clean it too while it's out and can be considered general maintenance.

In fact, if you have a vac pump, hook it up to the EGR. Start the motor. Pump up the vac pump. If doesn't change, there's you're problem. If it stumbles badly, and may even shut the engine off, then that's NOT your problem. You're hoping the vac pump to the EGR will cause it to run badly and even shut off in some cases.
This truck has headers so the part on the bottoms of the engine is removed and just the stuff on the manifold is left, would this still cause a problem?

Mr. Gutwrench

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Based on the first video, it sounds like it's back firing through the intake. Check the distributor cap and rotor for carbon tracking.

Is the engine making a ticking noise? Could be a burned valve or rounded cam lobe.

It doesn't sound like a fuel problem, but it wouldn't hurt to check the fuel pressure.

1st follow HotRodPC's advise and use a vacuum gauge. The gauge is cheap and a very helpful diagnostic tool.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
To me that sounds like more of a miss than a backfire. Most backfires i have heard are much louder and "crack" from unburnt fuel/timing. I still think its a fueling issue.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Check the fuel pressure, had an ex-girlfriends car do the same thing,checked everything else first, then fuel pressure it was bouncing all over the place.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
To me that sounds like more of a miss than a backfire. Most backfires i have heard are much louder and "crack" from unburnt fuel/timing. I still think its a fueling issue.
It's definitely a back fire. It's more pronounced when under load.

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
It's definitely a back fire. It's more pronounced when under load

I agree

You can see the exhaust light up at the end of the clip... although the flash is near the cat versus tailpipe.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
All the aforementioned suggestions are worthy troubleshooting tips. I'd break out the vacuum gauge, Mityvac, and you can rent a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone that should be able to be installed inline where your fuel filter is. I'd check all of those things. If you don't have a Mityvac, you can do the same EGR valve test by pressing the diaphragm, capping your finger over the port, and seeing if it holds. If it's stuck before you can do the test or it doesn't stay in place while you're holding your finger over the nipple, it's a bad valve. Has your SES light given you any clues? Have you made sure that it's working properly?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20