305 to 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T Anderson

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ive got a stock 305 in my k10. I'm picking up a built 350. Its got about 400 HP and not sure on torque. Its never been on the Dino. I know my rear end a and tranission will need beefed up. Will I need stronger motor mounts? Will I need anything else for the swap. Motor is already broke in. Any help will be appreciated.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
LOL. The difference between a 305 and 350 isn't that much. Just bolt in and go! If something breaks then upgrade.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
nothing needed but better tires:)

Sent from the dust in front of you!

T Anderson

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I had a few guys tell me I needed a bunch of stuff for the swap. I called them out. Just wanted to double check.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
It's been a dozen years since I did this swap. The mounts are the same. All the big pieces are the same the things that end up being different are a bunch of minor pain in the ass little details. If you're using the factory exhaust manifolds, the passenger side one has a different bolt spacing on the rear most cylinder. Seems like there were a few other things a was swearing at, but I can't remember anymore. Like I said, minor bs stuff. If you've got some extra parts from different donor vehicles you should be fine.

T Anderson

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'm going to be using long tube headers. Only thing I'll have to change over is my power steering pump. Hopefully it won't be too bad. I've changed em before though.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I'm going to be using long tube headers. Only thing I'll have to change over is my power steering pump. Hopefully it won't be too bad. I've changed em before though.

Why ? Just pull it off the motor and push it to the side then reinstall on the new motor. Then change pulleys if need be or run the 305 pulleys on the 350 and everything will be good still.

T Anderson

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Why ? Just pull it off the motor and push it to the side then reinstall on the new motor. Then change pulleys if need be or run the 305 pulleys on the 350 and everything will be good still.

He had the motor in a mustang. I don't want to run manifolds on it from my 305.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
He had the motor in a mustang. I don't want to run manifolds on it from my 305.

I hope you mean he retro fit a GM small block into a mustang and not that you are planning on putting a 351 Windsor into your GM truck ???

The power steering pump has nothing to do with exhaust manifolds. It bolts onto the front of the block with one mounting spot on the one forward most exhaust manifold bolt which is the same from 305 to 350 unless you run headers in which case you just need a long bolt and a spacer to make it work.

Last edited:

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I hope you mean he retro fit a GM small block into a mustang and not that you are planning on putting a 351 Windsor into your GM truck ???

The power steering pump has nothing to do with exhaust manifolds. It bolts onto the front of the block with one mounting spot on the one forward most exhaust manifold bolt which is the same from 305 to 350 unless you run headers in which case you just need a long bolt and a spacer to make it work.

My power steering pump brackets bolt up to my exhaust manifold :shrug:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
My power steering pump brackets bolt up to my exhaust manifold :shrug:

Only one bolt. and if you run headers you just use a long bolt with a spacer to position the pump bracket correctly.

Absolutely no need to change power steering pumps unless its shot.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
.... If you're using the factory exhaust manifolds, the passenger side one has a different bolt spacing on the rear most cylinder.......

That's odd. I took out a 283 and replaced it with a 350 and the factory manifolds bolted right up. Those were ramhorn manifolds so you don't need the spreader like you do with the stock manifolds on these trucks, perhaps that is what happened, the manifold on that side closed on itself and needed to be spread out to match the holes on the head. Without the spreader tool to keep the manifolds from closing up, the manifolds are a bear to put back on. They only close up a little amount but it's enough to make the holes not match the head.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------

Last edited:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
That's odd. I took out a 283 and replaced it with a 350 and the factory manifolds bolted right up. Those were ramhorn manifolds so you don't need the spreader like you do with the stock manifolds on these trucks, perhaps that is what happened, the manifold on that side closed on itself and needed to be spread out to match the holes on the head. Without the spreader tool to keep the manifolds from closing up, the manifolds are a bear to put back on. They only close up a little amount but it's enough to make the holes not match the head.

Never played with a 283, but the 305 manifolds have the rear most bolt farther back than on a 350. That's why the exhaust manifold gaskets on the block have the double bolt hole on one of them. So they can be used with a 305 or 350.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I can see what you mean about the rams horn style, but this is entirely different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spartantx117