305 No power.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Could have got some junk inside the carb though, restricting fuel flow.

Did you pull the new pump and look at the arm? Make sure you get it under the actuator.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Are you running an inline filter or an internal filter? Or both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tricky991

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/5.0
I did pull the pump and it looked fine to me. The old one that I pulled off because it was leaking a little from the weep hole. The arm barely moved at all not even 1/4 inch movement. But it worked fine never did this. So hopefully something is just got junk in it and clogged.

Tricky991

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/5.0
Are you running an inline filter or an internal filter? Or both?

Just running the filter that is in the carb where the fuel line screws in. Replaced it the sametime I rebuilt the carb

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just running the filter that is in the carb where the fuel line screws in. Replaced it the sametime I rebuilt the carb

If it has a check valve make sure you put the filter in the correct way other fuel will not flow.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It could be that you just got a bad pump. Seems like that's been happening a lot lately. Not just with fuel pumps. We just put 3 thermostats in my sisters car. 1st two were faulty right out of the box.

Tricky991

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/5.0
Yeah I know seems like every part I have been getting lately have to return it at least once. Thought it was just my bad luck lol.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
It can look ok but be a dud.... they don't make em like they used to.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I find changing out the fuel pump on these trucks to be a major pain in the ass.

Why not just test it for flow and pressure before you spend the time changing the pump.

To check volume/flow, pull the fuel inlet to the carburetor and stick a rubber hose on it. The other end goes in a container - a beer can works.

Crank the engine for 15 seconds - with the hot wire to the coil pulled. After 15 seconds, check the volume of gas in the beer can. Anything over 8 ounces is well within spec.

To check pressure - without the hassle of teeing in a gauge. Just attach a gauge to the end of the same hose used in the volume test (0 - 15 psi gauge is plenty).

Reattach the coil wire and fire it up. It doesn't take hardly a second to get a reading on the gauge, so whatever gas is in the bowl should be plenty to check the pressure. If you need to, you can keep it running for longer with a can of ether. If you get at least 5 psi discharge pressure you are good (factory spec is 4 to 6.5)

If the pump fails either test - and this apparent fuel flow issue has only developed since the new pump was installed, check your pump suction hose for pinch points and also check the steel discharge tubing for a kink. If your piping is okay, bring the pump back to the parts store.

If the pump passes both the volume and pressure tests, look to the carburetor as the problem (specifically, the bowl float not opening wide enough).

Tricky991

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/5.0
I pulled the passenger side valve cover off. And found the back 4 valves loose, some enough to pick up and turn around. So I am going to snug up that whole side and hope for the best.

Also since I have it torn all the way down to the timing chain I am just going to replace the timing chain and gears, fuel pump and the water pump cause its squealing.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Just do a valve adjustment bud. They can't just be snug. It's really simple :)

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I pulled the passenger side valve cover off. And found the back 4 valves loose, some enough to pick up and turn around. So I am going to snug up that whole side and hope for the best.

Also since I have it torn all the way down to the timing chain I am just going to replace the timing chain and gears, fuel pump and the water pump cause its squealing.

Make sure you pull those push rods as well and make sure they are flat. Loose rockers can bend or break push rods very easily. You may also want to look at your lifters too and check the bottoms.

Tricky991

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/5.0
Just do a valve adjustment bud. They can't just be snug. It's really simple :)

Ok how do I go about that?

Make sure you pull those push rods as well and make sure they are flat. Loose rockers can bend or break push rods very easily. You may also want to look at your lifters too and check the bottoms.

Ok I will pull them and check that all. After I get the timing chain and everything else back on.

Thanks for all the tips and help guys!

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Follow this chart...

To ensure your at #1 TDC #3 intake will be open
To ensure your at #6 TDC #2 intake will be open

How to ensure proper lash? Lift up and down on push rods until all play is gone then tighten 1/2 turn

You must be registered for see images attach

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
This only works method only works if you don't have a cam with allot of duration. If you have a stock cam or close to this method is the easiest if them all. Props to firebane.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06