305 No power.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tricky991

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/5.0
Hey everyone, I am having some trouble with my engine. The other day I replaced the fuel pump, I am not even sure how the old one was even pumping the arm barely moved. Replaced with new one, and after I got it in went for a test drive.

Well everything went fine till I floored it. It picked up fine but right before it shifted the engine lost power like I just ran outta fuel. I let out the throttle and slowly eased back in and it was working fine again.

Well it only did that a few more times at WOT, but then it started bucking. But after a week it stopped doing that. And then it came back worse, as the engine got into higher RPMs no power at all couldn't do anything over half throttle. Got to the point were the 2nd set of barrels wouldn't open. Which I would think was vacuum problems?

And as of yesterday no power at all. Could barely make 30mph. It gets worse as the engine warms up. Like cold it has a little power and at normal temps no power. And it is running hotter then normal.

And it started having a knocking sound. coming from either the front or front passenger side of the engine. I pulled the fuel pump thinking it was something with that messed up. But the pump and push rod look fine. Even started it for a sec with it off and still had the knock.

What do you guys think? Hopefully something simple lol

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you adjusted your carb with the faulty pump, it may need adjusted again. Idk about the knock, but that's never good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
High miles?

Tricky991

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/5.0
No I left the carb alone, and not 100% that its faulty pump. Could anything else be causing it to act like that? It idles fine just the knock but when you try to drive it it has no power at all like just to get it to move you need half throttle.

And from what I experienced before a rod knocking wouldn't cause power loss. But I don't know.

And yes it is high miles. A buddy of mine told me to check the timing chain. First by turning the crank and watch the distributor rotor. It took about a 1/4 turn either way before it would move at all.

I took it all apart to check the timing chain. But I don't know how tight it should be.

Here is a video showing how much play it has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKRj1Gh8_A

Also before I had it apart. If you placed your hand on the engine you could feel the knock every time. Is the engine toast?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
A high miled EGR 305 is gonna be gummed up from top to bottom. If you took the heads off you would be surprised at how awful looking it will be, probably burnt valves, worn rings, stretched chain, loose valve lash, carb probably needs an over haul.

The carb and fuel system will not cause a knock. That is usually worn internal components and or broken/bent valves

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
A high miled EGR 305 is gonna be gummed up from top to bottom. If you took the heads off you would be surprised at how awful looking it will be, probably burnt valves, worn rings, stretched chain, loose valve lash, carb probably needs an over haul.

The carb and fuel system will not cause a knock. That is usually worn internal components and or broken/bent valves

Check, check, check, and ... yup check.

All of that was my 350 HAH!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
lol I think we've all been there at some point lol

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Oh and did I mention the intermittent oil pressure:)

Tricky991

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/5.0

Oh I wouldn't be surprised I know how fitly the inside is lol. I took the valve covers off couple weeks back there was mountains of deposits all the way to the top of the valve covers. Not kidding, the previous owner never did anything to the engine. No oil changes or anything... So I have been fixing and cleaning the engine as I have time but haven't had the heads off.

The carb I just rebuilt not long ago. And the EGR has been blocked off for along time now. The valves were all tight no play at all in any of them. I checked both sides. But that was after thanksgiving I am not sure how they are now. And the engine always had great compression.

Anyways, Any ideas? What is causing this? I am about to go and take the valve covers off and check all the rockers and the arms now.

The engine has been perfect before this. Barely had to tap the key and it was running. Had plenty of power always. Just a sudden thing, it was when I was out on the interstate. It was doing great cruising at 75. Had to slow down cause of traffic and then it just had no power had to get off. Wasn't knocking yet. When I got home, popped the hood and could hear the knock was idling fine but even when not in gear. The engine would stubble if you rev'ed it up.

Did anyone check the video? Is the timing chain to loose? And at first I thought it was the timing chain loose and slapping the cover. But I know that isn't the source of the knocking :/

Tricky991

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/5.0
Oh and did I mention the intermittent oil pressure:)

Oil pressure has always been perfect too. never dropped low once. It just puzzles me out of the blue that this happens lol.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Oil pressure has always been perfect too. never dropped low once. It just puzzles me out of the blue that this happens lol.

That's the way it goes man. It always works just fine until it doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I'd take that fuel pump back as it's probably defective, or some trash made its way to your fuel filter.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Tricky991

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/5.0
Alright, I will try returning and getting another. And change the fuel filter out. Haven't got the valve covers off yet had other stuff to do. Will in the morning.

Since I have it torn down this far do you guys think I should replace the timing chain? I don't know how much play there should be in it. But I wanna figure this knocking sound out first.

Never know might be my excuse to throw in a 350 lol

Last edited:

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
It sounds possible that you are running out of fuel. What did you set your float level at? Could have got some junk in the fuel line when you changed the pump. Double check you lines for crimps, check fuel filters, check float level and needle/seat for junk blocking.

Tricky991

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/5.0
It sounds possible that you are running out of fuel. What did you set your float level at? Could have got some junk in the fuel line when you changed the pump. Double check you lines for crimps, check fuel filters, check float level and needle/seat for junk blocking.

Well I rebuilt the carb several months back. And it was running great before so I didn't change anything.

It only started this AFTER I installed the new pump. So either the pump or junk in the fuel line. If its that I hope its just something simple like that. Could the pump be some how making the knocking sound? Cause it is coming from right at that area.

Btw the carb is a Quadrajet 800cmf.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64