1979 Getting Started

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Russell Jones

Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@ Jimmy, Thanks. Ill definitely work on all of these things... I did check the brake fluid and noticed the front-smaller half of the reservoir is empty where the back half is full..Im assuming they're sectioned into front and rear?

Big block!!!!!!!!!!!
I mean...im not gonna swap a small block for another small block...:pedobear:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Well going from a 305 to a 350 would be a big improvement. Hell putting a 283 in it would be better then a 305 lol

Russell Jones

Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well going from a 305 to a 350 would be a big improvement. Hell putting a 283 in it would be better then a 305 lol

See...now you're just making me sad and ashamed! :(

I do have access to a cheap 350 tho.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
See...now you're just making me sad and ashamed! :(

I do have access to a cheap 350 tho.
I do my part... the 305 was a sad pathetic little engine with no guts. It’s the Steve Erkle of SBCs lol

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
the brake fluid and noticed the front-smaller half of the reservoir is empty where the back half is full..Im assuming they're sectioned into front and rear?

This is important and requires repair, A.S.A.P.

New gas, okay. The octane rating declines proportionally as the idle time increases. It will NOT burn well.

New oil and filter, yes. Motor oil is a solution, not a mixture. The detergent chemicals also degrade in time like gasoline octane. Everything has a half- life. Just because it "looks clean" doesn't mean you should use it.

The two halves of the Master Cylinder (reservoir thingy) are split to serve front and rear brakes. The front part - nearest the grill - indicates reserve brake fluid for the FRONT brakes.

Since this is empty, a braking system fluid leak is indicated and requires repair. There are many possibilities, it is not safe to drive the truck prior to repair. Replenish lost fluid with Dot3.

Good luck and post some pics. Use your phone and the paperclip, it's easy.

Last edited:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I do my part... the 305 was a sad pathetic little engine with no guts. It’s the Steve Erkle of SBCs lol
Ther's plenty of other uses the 305 is better suited for. things like, liquor bottle rack, flower pot, or boat anchor.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ther's plenty of other uses the 305 is better suited for. things like, liquor bottle rack, flower pot, or boat anchor.
Can crusher, fill, counter weight for a trebuchet any thing but a power plant.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
"...counter weight for a trebuchet..." :happy175:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
@ Jimmy, Thanks. Ill definitely work on all of these things... I did check the brake fluid and noticed the front-smaller half of the reservoir is empty where the back half is full..Im assuming they're sectioned into front and rear?

On my stuff, it’s flip-flopped. Front of the MC is for the rear brakes and vice versa. This is because, I’m assuming, the calipers need more fluid for exertion than the wheel cylinders. Going by this, you likely have a leak in one or both of your wheel cylinders. Since you’re having issues, I’d go ahead and check those cylinders out and probably get your front rubber brake hoses over with, too, to spare you heartache and brake pull down the road. The cylinders usually leak down the back plate of the rear brakes, but you can pull the drum and see if they’re leaking for sure. It’s an easy job. You can check your shoes’ wear while you’re down there.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
There’s a lot of truth to what these guys are saying about the 305. It’s a motor designed for economy, and it lets everything else go by the wayside. That being said, the LE9 (81-86 trucks) and the L69 (83-88 F/G Body) HO 305 motors are respectable. Not great but they can at least get out of their own way, and they can be built better if you’re willing to take them on. My car came with an LG4 but the PO swapped an L69 in it, and while it’s a good motor, it does leave something to be desired. The economy’s good, though. It'll get 26 mpg going a consistent 60-65 mph. You have to factor in, though, that I’ve got the feedback carb, small tires compared to a truck, and a poo-poo gear ratio for that to happen. If you’ve got the truck’s original seventies choked down 305, I’d go with something else ASAP. The 350 is the traditional go-to for a lot of people, and I tend to agree. If you can get the one you know about, I’d do that.

Russell Jones

Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for everyones inputs, I texted the person with the 350 to see how much he would want for it but he said he's sold it. My plans are to just big block swap the truck down the road anyways so i might as well just do what i can with this little motor for now until the time comes to swap it rather than Swapping it 2 times. Ya know?

As for the brakes, the truck wont be on the road for a little while. Probably early spring, Ive gotta get the damn thing started first! Brakes are on the top of the list to get sorted out though.

I had a 1986 Silverado C10 while in high school (2008). I loved that truck and did the brake lines on it twice.

Here's a bunch of parts I found for the truck today in the basement/crawl space of the house I got the truck from to begin with. +/- some small stuff i didnt put in the photo. :)
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

RustyPile

Left on own accord
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Can crusher, fill, counter weight for a trebuchet any thing but a power plant.

Well, I've tried using a 305 for those things.. I've come to the conclusion that a 305 is not good for anything.. :rolleyes:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
A 70s era 305 is indeed a real dog compared to an L69.
L69s have great heads and an additional 1.3 - 1.2? points of compression to work with.
If you wanna play with a smogger 305, consider those factors. The 601 heads have decent chambers and are 53? CC but the intake runners are "meh" at best.

POP some flatter top pistons and change your cam I bet it'll run ya good for awhile. I think you'd be wasting both time and money rebuilding 601 heads, says the guy that just put #416s on his 350 to replace his 426s? 624426?
Whatever..
I used to have an L69 that would KICK THE **** out of a whoooole lotta stuff, i'm a believer in the 305 powwa!

I'd have to show em. Thank god it has 5.0 cast on the block, nobody believed me.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well, I've tried using a 305 for those things.. I've come to the conclusion that a 305 is not good for anything.. [emoji57]
The demolition derby guys love em

The 305 will run for almost 30 minutes with no coolant before it locks up

But I’d try to get it running and driving like it is and see what ya got

For the brakes I’d just buy new everything
New MC and calipers , definitely new rubber hoses , new rear cylinders and new rubber hose from the frame to the axle

And buy all that stuff NEW , not rebuilt , and you will have to special order hoses that are made in the USA ,
You do not want made in China parts on the most important part of your truck

Ive found with rebuilding brakes , if you have problems it’s one part leaking , as soon as you fix that part , some thing else will let go

Might as well replace anything with rubber O rings and flex hoses to start with and be done with it

Rock auto sells gas new tanks for less than $100, at that price it’s not worth messing with trying to clean out an old one

The engine will Probably run ok

A Chevrolet will run poorly longer than most cars run at all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB