‘89 Caprice Mini Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
Weird .
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be weird. It seems a lot of posts appeared in between while I was trying to respond about the Stakeout movie.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
@CorvairGeek do you have any ideas on those wipers that start when the key turns on? I haven’t checked the literature yet, but I figured I’d ask.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
Most likely, it is the pulse board. I'm quite good at a lot of things for a layman, IMHO, but the hidden wiper system is a confusing electro-mechanical bag of worms. I finally gave up and bought a complete, remanufactured unit from O'Reilly's. I don't normally do that kind of thing, but the intermittent issues I had with 3 different units drove me nuts. I assume your '89 still uses the same motor and pulse board, with the integrated washer system.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Most likely, it is the pulse board. I'm quite good at a lot of things for a layman, IMHO, but the hidden wiper system is a confusing electro-mechanical bag of worms. I finally gave up and bought a complete, remanufactured unit from O'Reilly's. I don't normally do that kind of thing, but the intermittent issues I had with 3 different units drove me nuts. I assume your '89 still uses the same motor and pulse board, with the integrated washer system.

Yep, the very same. Having to replace the whole thing is in the back of my mind. I had to do that on the other Caprice, and it didn’t go well. I was only able to make low and high work, no pulse. I quit tinkering with it after I got that much. I need to return to that and figure out what went wrong... I followed the instructions on the wiring for the new washer pump, and it did the same thing - comes on as soon as you turn the key on.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
I had studied the shop manual a lot too, with a meter taking measurements on the board and contacts. There is a contact that sticks out the back of the pulse board that didn't seem to be addressed by the FSM either. The pulse board is actually quite simple and only has about 50 cents worth of parts. It does seem it is the root of a lot of issues, but I got tired of it. Maybe it was just me, but I do like lots of electronic and electromechanical projects.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Not doing much this weekend with it. The highs are starting to break into the 80s so I’ve been pulling the few weeds that grew over the winter and mulching. The trunk of the Silver Streak can only hold 16 cubic feet of mulch with all the tools I have in the trunk. It could do 20 if I cleared it all out. Better than a Prius, though. I got a gasket and filter for this 200-4R, but upon closer inspection, the shift linkage was wet with fluid so I knew something else was up. In the picture, you can see fluid on the top of the cotter key. I guess I’m gonna be replacing the linkage seal first and see if that gets it. That’s a new one for me so anyone who’s done it and wants to share their experience would be appreciated. I’ve got a pick set, and the transmission is tiny so the clearance is good. I hope that does it because I’d rather get transmission fluid everywhere another time.

You must be registered for see images attach

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Not doing much this weekend with it. The highs are starting to break into the 80s so I’ve been pulling the few weeds that grew over the winter and mulching. The trunk of the Silver Streak can only hold 16 cubic feet of mulch with all the tools I have in the trunk. It could do 20 if I cleared it all out. Better than a Prius, though. I got a gasket and filter for this 200-4R, but upon closer inspection, the shift linkage was wet with fluid so I knew something else was up. In the picture, you can see fluid on the top of the cotter key. I guess I’m gonna be replacing the linkage seal first and see if that gets it. That’s a new one for me so anyone who’s done it and wants to share their experience would be appreciated. I’ve got a pick set, and the transmission is tiny so the clearance is good. I hope that does it because I’d rather get transmission fluid everywhere another time.

Usta be a tool made just for that. Night check the Lyle rack at the parts store. Two piece thingie.. A sleeve like part has regular bolt threads on the inside and 2 flats on the outside for a wrench.. The other end has tapered pipe like threads on the outside.. Remove all the shift linkage down to the shaft. Screw the hollow part of the tool into the rubber part of the seal.. Screw the bolt into the sleeve. The bolt pushes against the trans shaft, "jacking" the seal right out of the case.. Place the new seal over the shaft till it contacts the case.. Flip the sleeve part of the tool around and slide it over the shaft.. using a soft faced hammer, tap the seal home.....

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Usta be a tool made just for that. Night check the Lyle rack at the parts store. Two piece thingie.. A sleeve like part has regular bolt threads on the inside and 2 flats on the outside for a wrench.. The other end has tapered pipe like threads on the outside.. Remove all the shift linkage down to the shaft. Screw the hollow part of the tool into the rubber part of the seal.. Screw the bolt into the sleeve. The bolt pushes against the trans shaft, "jacking" the seal right out of the case.. Place the new seal over the shaft till it contacts the case.. Flip the sleeve part of the tool around and slide it over the shaft.. using a soft faced hammer, tap the seal home.....

I’ll look into the tool. I’d rather do it the right away if it’s feasible than improvise.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Picture of the bumper on mine before I replaced the collapsed shocks. @bucket @f6john

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size

Found it. A lot cheaper than I expected, too. Their warehouse is just down the road from me so I’ll grab one here in the next few days. Thanks for the suggestion.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Found it. A lot cheaper than I expected, too. Their warehouse is just down the road from me so I’ll grab one here in the next few days. Thanks for the suggestion.

That's it.. The shiny piece is the seal install tool..

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yo yo yo is that box for sale?!?!

That’s how they usually approach me. I’ve had one beg me and say he’d pay any price and even set me up with something new and nice, I’ve had had one hit the ground running with, “please tell me you wanna get rid of it; that mutha fuckah clean!,” and I’ve had an older one come up to me while I was in the Jimmy one day asking, “is that you wit da silvah foh-doh?” “Yeah, that’s me.” “Give it to me (busts out laughing).” “Uhhh, no...”

The PO does that same exact joke to me, too, by the way.