‘89 Caprice Mini Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
That’s how they usually approach me. I’ve had one beg me and say he’d pay any price and even set me up with something new and nice, I’ve had had one hit the ground running with, “please tell me you wanna get rid of it; that mutha fuckah clean!,” and I’ve had an older one come up to me while I was in the Jimmy one day asking, “is that you wit da silvah foh-doh?” “Yeah, that’s me.” “Give it to me (busts out laughing).” “Uhhh, no...”

The PO does that same exact joke to me, too, by the way.

My wife has to beat 'em off with a stick... Her car is an '02 silver Crown Vic...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
That’s how they usually approach me. I’ve had one beg me and say he’d pay any price and even set me up with something new and nice, I’ve had had one hit the ground running with, “please tell me you wanna get rid of it; that mutha fuckah clean!,” and I’ve had an older one come up to me while I was in the Jimmy one day asking, “is that you wit da silvah foh-doh?” “Yeah, that’s me.” “Give it to me (busts out laughing).” “Uhhh, no...”

The PO does that same exact joke to me, too, by the way.
When you bust out that half top look out it will be much worse.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Not doing much this weekend with it. The highs are starting to break into the 80s so I’ve been pulling the few weeds that grew over the winter and mulching. The trunk of the Silver Streak can only hold 16 cubic feet of mulch with all the tools I have in the trunk. It could do 20 if I cleared it all out. Better than a Prius, though. I got a gasket and filter for this 200-4R, but upon closer inspection, the shift linkage was wet with fluid so I knew something else was up. In the picture, you can see fluid on the top of the cotter key. I guess I’m gonna be replacing the linkage seal first and see if that gets it. That’s a new one for me so anyone who’s done it and wants to share their experience would be appreciated. I’ve got a pick set, and the transmission is tiny so the clearance is good. I hope that does it because I’d rather get transmission fluid everywhere another time.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ya. You need one of those pick deals.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
When you bust out that half top look out it will be much worse.

They did the same thing to my dad when he drove it around. I blow them off, but he’d always say, “I could let it go for $25,000.” Half of them would look at him like he was crazy, and other half would just shake their head and say they wish they could afford that.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Finally got a little progress on this after months of none. I replaced the shifter shaft seal so hopefully the leak is over. At least until the next one. The key to that is making sure the extractor gets a good bite on the seal. You have to gently tap on it with a hammer while you turn it to make sure that happens. I wanted to get this done in case a hurricane comes, and I can hopefully get it out of there without too much trouble. It blew some rust water out of the tailpipe when I first started it so that was a little disconcerting. It’s been about five and a half weeks since I’d started it last. When I got the seal in, I also backed it out, and took it for a short drive, which is the first time that’s happened in three or four years. I also got some better sibling pics.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Cool pictures!

And I never noticed that the padded top changed the pitch of the rear window. Is the interior trim paneling back there different, or are there filler panels back there to make up the difference?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Cool pictures!

And I never noticed that the padded top changed the pitch of the rear window. Is the interior trim paneling back there different, or are there filler panels back there to make up the difference?

There’s a plastic molding around the triangle windows to make them match, and it’s got the same thing on the rear window. The C Pillar has the same headliner padding as all of them do. Here’s a stock photo.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Nice looking pair of cars. Here's mine from 1989.

That’s really cool. I had a East Jefferson Levee Authority Police (the ones that patrol the actual river levee and the surrounding streets) flag me down to ask me about it. I’m pretty sure every police car around there was a Caprice for a long time, and all the people that had them that are still on the Force miss them. I’m on the fence about doing some 9C1 hubcaps, a spotlight, and shocks when I have the money to get it painted real nice and actually complement the paint job. I’m talking about mine, but the way. The blue one has to stay the way it is.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I always liked this car. It was the only year of the square Caprices we had. Low bid was Ford the next few years. We had Caprices in 93-96 and a '97 pursuit rated Tahoe. Unfortunately after that, we had Fords until I retired a couple of years ago.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There’s a plastic molding around the triangle windows to make them match, and it’s got the same thing on the rear window. The C Pillar has the same headliner padding as all of them do. Here’s a stock photo.

Maybe it's just an optical illusion, but with the cars side by side, it looks like the rear glass actually stands more upright than a standard sedan. Compare the sail panels, the standard roof has a tapered sail panel, but the padded top's sail panel doesn't taper towards the top. You can also compare the angle of the back glass to the angle of the rear door frame.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I always liked this car. It was the only year of the square Caprices we had. Low bid was Ford the next few years. We had Caprices in 93-96 and a '97 pursuit rated Tahoe. Unfortunately after that, we had Fords until I retired a couple of years ago.

The newer Caprices are good. ‘93 is the year I prefer of those because they still had the old style speedometer, no fender skirts, they improved the taillight design, and it had an SBC rather than an LT1. Plus, that digital speedometer didn’t turn me on too much. The newer 9C1s had a different cluster, though, right?

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Looks good!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Maybe it's just an optical illusion, but with the cars side by side, it looks like the rear glass actually stands more upright than a standard sedan. Compare the sail panels, the standard roof has a tapered sail panel, but the padded top's sail panel doesn't taper towards the top. You can also compare the angle of the back glass to the angle of the rear door frame.

I see what you’re talking about. That has to be an optical illusion, but next chance I get, I’ll take some more pictures.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
The newer Caprices are good. ‘93 is the year I prefer of those because they still had the old style speedometer, no fender skirts, they improved the taillight design, and it had an SBC rather than an LT1. Plus, that digital speedometer didn’t turn me on too much. The newer 9C1s had a different cluster, though, right?

You're correct on the engine. It's been so long since I've been in one of these cars, but I believe our '93's had the digital speedo. We had our corp yard put a cut out on it so when we were driving around blacked out, it wasn't glowing in our face. The other thing that is different on the 93 vs. the 94-96 models is the rear quarter window. 93's still had the 91-92 pointed windows.

1993 9C1 Cluster

1994-96 9C1 Cluster

1993 9C1 Quarter window

1994-96 9C1 Quarter window

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members