Which radiator hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
As some of you know I am swapping a 6.2 diesel to a 350 in my k20, been doin some research and can't figure out what radiator hoses to use. I want to retain the diesel radiator. Will big block hoses work? Did big block trucks use the big radiator like the diesels?

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
It appears that the 2 wheel drive, 454 set up got the much longer radiator. Same passenger side mount location, but it spanned across almost to the headlight buckets on the driver's side. 4x4/454's didn't get it for some reason. Been looking to upgrade to that bigger radiator because I always tow the camper in the heat, and in the moutains, so I'm always looking for more cooling capacity......so that's the only reason why I know about them. I'm trying to figure out what years/models they came in because I need the fan stroud too.

I've collected a couple photos. In the 2nd photo, you can see that the driver's side mount is way over by where the hood release cable pokes through the slam panel:
You must be registered for see images attach

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I was going to suggest a 2wd 454 hose as well. My local parts store will let me take a couple hoses at a time home and see if they fit and then buy the one that does. I've done it with belts too. You might see if one will do that for you.

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Thanks for the info guys, I might have to look for a fan shroud too, the diesel shroud doesn't look as long as the one in the picks, maybe I can just get away with a fan spacer. Next time I'm in town I will swing by my happy napa store and see if they can tell me which hoses are for the big rad and compare them.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yea, that same 2wd 454 fan shroud should work too. Although it might be a little more difficult to find...

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Here's a pic of my 2wd 454 radiator and upper hose. Mine has a V02 HD radiator option package.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I installed your radiator last year. It was about twice as thick as the radiator I had been using, and with that shallow shroud, I had to space my fan forward, to get the blades back inside the shroud. It was a nice upgrade, but it's not as long as the long radiator I show in my photos. It's the same width as the standard radiator and uses the same mount position on the driver's side, and the same radiator hose. Take a look at the offset of the fan opening in my photo, compared to the remaining driver's side of the shroud....and how long that top hose is.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Yours is what I call the standard big block radiator. Same width as the standard small block radiator, but twice as thick. I installed your radiator in my 'burb about a year ago when my standard small block radiator needed to be replaced. Had to space the fan forward due to how shallow the shroud is. I've since discovered and purchased, the shroud that goes with this much thicker radiator, when used with the small block.

Anyway, the radiator that I posted photos of above, is much longer than yours. Take a look at the offset of the fan opening compared to the driver's side of the shroud, and how long that top hose run is.

Here's your size radiator installed in my 'burb. This is pre fan spacer block and you can see how far back the blades are.

Here's the driver's side, and you can see it uses the standard top hose.

And here is the fan spacer.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
I was looking through the info package I downloaded from the GM historical website. In '86 (my truck year) the biggest 454 radiator is 537 sq in frontal area and the 6.2L had 646 sq in frontal area.

There are also thickness and distance between tubes differences depending on std or heavy duty cooling, manual or auto and A/C and trans oil cooler for each engine type.

Too bad the info doesn't give part numbers.

It could also change for different years.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
If you go to a website like RockAuto, Drivewire, Autopartswharehouse, etc, there are pictures and measurements of the different radiators by year/model. The Diesel version is pretty unique, but still long. IIRC, it's not as tall though? Like 17" vs. 19" for the gassers.

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
My radiator is differant than ones in the pics, my trans cooler lines are on the drivers side, not the passenger side, and the engine oil cooler lines go in on the passenger side. Thanks for all the info guys. I will see if I can make it work once I get the engine in. If not I will have to get a gasser radiator and change the tranny cooler lines.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
You can also do your own auxiliary trans and engine oil coolers, but maybe it would be easier to just mount the 6.2's radiator?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gord