what window channels actually FIT?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AntiBling

Reaction score
First Name
Henri
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
i had to replace the missing window channels for both of my door windows. i picked up a kit from a local truck specialty shop. the kit seemed to go in fine but it seems like that they are not deep enough and when i roll up the window the channel rubber is pushed into the channel and grip the window restricting it from smoothly rolling up or down. i would return the kit but i have been lazy and its been a while since i got the kit. I'll bite the bullet and get another set.

my question is.... what company sells a quality set that actually fits the way it is supposed to? I'm so ready to replace this crappy kit.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
LMC products are no guarantee either. I replaced the weather strip on the rear barn doors and couldn't shut them when I was done. The rubber is too thick and causes the doors to overlap. Finally got them shut by wedging a bar between the two doors from inside and forcing them apart enough to latch. I didn't open them again for several weeks, hoping the material would bed in. They've gotten easier to close, but a year later I still have to close each door while pushing it towards the hinges.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
LMC products are no guarantee either. I replaced the weather strip on the rear barn doors and couldn't shut them when I was done. The rubber is too thick and causes the doors to overlap. Finally got them shut by wedging a bar between the two doors from inside and forcing them apart enough to latch. I didn't open them again for several weeks, hoping the material would bed in. They've gotten easier to close, but a year later I still have to close each door while pushing it towards the hinges.

Can I ask you your opinion on a theory? Do you think over time, the 25+ years old these trucks are, you think eventually the door seals get smashed down and at some point the user adjusts the doors to get a better seal. Then when you install a new set, the doors are adjusted too tight? I have been pondering this in my plans. Thinking that if I replace my door seals I would have to re-adjust the doors to close and seal correctly, "back them off" if you will. Know what I mean? Like, re-adjust the strikers? or was it worse than that? I know I will have to do that seeing how beat mine are and don't have that "bulb" in the seal it should have. Does that make sense the way I am saying it bro?

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
From most reports, the seals from Classic Parts are pretty good.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Can I ask you your opinion on a theory? Do you think over time, the 25+ years old these trucks are, you think eventually the door seals get smashed down and at some point the user adjusts the doors to get a better seal. Then when you install a new set, the doors are adjusted too tight? I have been pondering this in my plans. Thinking that if I replace my door seals I would have to re-adjust the doors to close and seal correctly, "back them off" if you will. Know what I mean? Like, re-adjust the strikers? or was it worse than that? I know I will have to do that seeing how beat mine are and don't have that "bulb" in the seal it should have. Does that make sense the way I am saying it bro?

That makes sense, but in my case the truck only had one previous owner. They were wealthy people that took it in for service for every little thing and she had all the receipts going back to day one. The doors were never touched.

I spent some time looking at the hinges today and I imagine it could be a real frustrating job trying to adjust them. If you get into it, do a writeup. Mine could be better, but they're not so bad that I'm willing to be the guinea pig.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That makes sense, but in my case the truck only had one previous owner. They were wealthy people that took it in for service for every little thing and she had all the receipts going back to day one. The doors were never touched.

I spent some time looking at the hinges today and I imagine it could be a real frustrating job trying to adjust them. If you get into it, do a writeup. Mine could be better, but they're not so bad that I'm willing to be the guinea pig.

So you did both seals around the perimeter of the doors right? They got those push in plastic **** on them? What about that seal that goes at the top of the door jamb?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I left the oem top seal in place, and from what I can see I don't think it's even necessary. The seals on the doors do the same task, and where the doors meet there's an extra bit of rubber hanging off the top of the left door so when you close the right door there's an overlap of the two. I guess the top seal attached to the body is just extra insurance against leaks. I'm glad I didn't replace that as well, it would have made the doors even harder to shut.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Anybody here try the ones from JCW?