What was previous owner trying to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vegetta58

Reaction score
First Name
Mickey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 M1008
Engine Size
Is there a fender flare &/or inner fender to make this work or do I need to reboot & punt & get new fenders? Thanks
You must be registered for see images attach

rwjtexas

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
Unless I am missing something, you are missing your inner fender panels ... shoudl be able to buy these on the open market for Repop's
Jegs
Carparts.Com
Summitt Racing ...

Rubber the right way can provide you the rubber strips that attach to the inner fender well that hang down to keep mud and stuff out of the engine bay . there are two types for a blazer depending on the front shocks ..

Just do a search on Inner fender well k30 chevy truck .. through in 1986

The are held in with clip nuts and bots ..

Not sure what your battery tray bottom is bolted to ... probably the two side bolts only.

Also they may have been removed to deal with the headers on the engine ... if so, you may have to modify the wells to fit, however it looks like they fall within the frame so probably not

Good Luck.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
As others have said, that was done to clear the bigger tires. Fenders themselves have been cut, they're junk. Inner fender is gone, firewall/inner rocker has also been cut. That's not a huge deal in and of itself, you could splice in a piece of another if needed. I'd throw some fenders and inners in it and roll on.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Okay thanks. Didn't know if this was kind of Mod that worked with aftermarket parts. Yeah new inners & fenders are in the works. Thanks again

You could cover it with cut out fender flares if you still need the tire clearance.
Stock fenders look better.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsh-40019-11

Going off memory from what I had to cut out for the "cutout" fender flares, those fenders are cut way too much to mount the flares.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
Other guys are all correct, but to answer the title question, yep, all that cutting is to clear tires when fully flexed out. Which tires do you plan on running, and will you be doing any serious off-roading? Any suspension work you want to do with it, or leave it as-is?
Looks like a set of humvee tires on there, my uneducated guess is that you'd need the full ride height you have OR the cut fenders for just a little bit of rubbing, they probably went a little overboard, unless they had larger tires on it before. Others might be able to steer you better.

vegetta58

Reaction score
First Name
Mickey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 M1008
Engine Size
Going to do an shackle flip and springs all around from ORD. Tires are gonna be either 36.5 or 39.5 TSL's. After I talk with ORD to build the suspension to see what's best. Truck is geared real low 4.56 with Detroit lockers & 400 turbo trans. Need tire size to help with highway speeds. On that note if anyone knows which size would be better for that please tell. It has a 454 now but building a 2006 LQ9 6.0 to go in it.

Last edited:

87gmcburb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic Suburban
Is there a fender flare &/or inner fender to make this work or do I need to reboot & punt & get new fenders? Thanks
My 84 Burb had the same butcher job when I bought it, The previous owner put on 35s and chopped it up so he would rub tires when turning. Waste of good sheet metal

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Going to do an shackle flip and springs all around from ORD. Tires are gonna be either 36.5 or 39.5 TSL's. After I talk with ORD to build the suspension to see what's best. Truck is geared real low 4.56 with Detroit lockers & 400 turbo trans. Need tire size to help with highway speeds. On that note if anyone knows which size would be better for that please tell. It has a 454 now but building a 2006 LQ9 6.0 to go in it.

I've got a truck with 4.56's and 36's. It's a great combo with the TH400. Good power and it's not wound out too high on the interstate.

vegetta58

Reaction score
First Name
Mickey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 M1008
Engine Size
Okay thanks. Didn't know if 36's would be big enough

Forum statistics

Threads
Members