What U joints for front driveshaft np208 + 10 bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I see there a few choices for u joints for the front driveshaft.
Are the u-joints for the front driveshaft the same for both 1/2 and 3/4 tons?
I'd like to stick with Spicer, and I see they have a few choices for my vehicle. Some are greasable, some are sealed/lubed for life. I don't mind getting the greasable kind, but I seem to remember that for the front shaft, especially at the double cardon joint, that it can be tricky to reach the zerk fitting for greasing.

Here's what I've found so far:
Rear and center joints non-greasable: Spicer 5-795X
Rear and center joints greasable: Spicer 5-3147X
Front joint greasable: Spicer 5-1310-1X
Front joint greasable: Spicer 5-153X

I'm confused on those 2 greasable options for the front shaft u joints. Both say they'll fit, but I see they are a bit different in material, and the location of the zerk fitting is different: one has it in the "normal" place, and other has it sticking out of one of the caps.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
1/2 thru 1 tons use the same size front joint. I've never messed with the double cardan joint, they seem to hold up well. If I have run across a sloppy one, I just let the driveline shop mess with it.

A benefit to non-greasable is they are little stronger due to being solid.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Yep, I'll be bringing it in to a driveline shop due to: no garage + cold snow + no time + little experience with this. The guy lets you bring in your own parts, so I wanted to get everything purchased first.
Good to know about the front shaft over 1/2 to 1 tons. Do 1/2 and 3/4 tons have the same front axles though? I know the 1 ton has the Dana 60 usually, and the 3/4 can have the GM 10-bolt/Dana44. Are they the same throughout the 1/2 tons too?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
1/2 and 3/4 ton use the same front axle, just different hubs/rotors. Went from Dana 44 to corporate 10 bolt during the '77 model year. The dana 60 used in 1-ton trucks is completely different, but the yoke does use the same u-joint as the smaller axles.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Thanks for the info.
Any thoughts on the front joint options? Both are greasable, I was going to go with the Spicer 5-1310-1X.
As for the double cardan, I may just go sealed u joint...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Grease fitting on the cap is easy to access, but it's also very easy for something to knock into it and break it off. Even if it's a street only truck, driving through an icy snow bank could snap it off. I'd go with the normal location.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Grease fitting on the cap is easy to access, but it's also very easy for something to knock into it and break it off. Even if it's a street only truck, driving through an icy snow bank could snap it off. I'd go with the normal location.

And for greasing them I use a needle grease fitting as you cant always get a standard grease chuck on them.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Ok, thanks for the tips. I'll go with the normal zerk location for the front joint, and for the cardan joint, I've thought it over and I think I'll go with greasable, I don't mind greasing and I do have one of those needle adapters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sleepn