What to do? Repair shop f'ed up...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
This is why I do all the work on my vehicles myself, I just can't trust people because they're not going to put the same effort and care into my vehicle that I would. The old saying is true, if you want it done right, do it yourself. This would have never happened if I had just done the work myself...

Anyway, here's my sad story:
I was on a deadline and needed work done before a road trip in the burb, so I brought it in to a shop to have them do the last few things I didn't have time for. I hated to do this, but it was winter and I don't have a real shop and time was running out.
I needed the front diff's bearings replaced, and the front end gets pretty much fully disassembled in order to do this, so I thought I would have them throw on new parts while they had everything apart: pads, rotor/hub assembly, calipers, x4 ball joints, axle shaft u-joints, bearings/seals, and new warn premium locking hubs.
I should have suspected something was up with this shop when they called and said the new hubs weren't fitting. Well that's strange because it's absolutely the right part number and is a very universal part: Warn 20990.
I said fine, just put the old hubs back on, I leave for a trip the next day and don't have time for this, plus the old ones were still usable.
After my roughly 2,500 mile road trip, I notice a whole vehicle vibration beginning to develop as the trip goes on, and also see that my front tires are wearing down irregularly and alarmingly fast. I take it to a tire shop to have them balanced and rotated. They immediately call me in to the shop to show me this excessive amount of play in the wheels that was causing the wear. They said the spindle nut has probably backed off. How funny, since the last people in there was that driveline shop - they probably didn't even break out the torque wrench and torque that outer lock nut to 160-205 ft lbs. This is my life they're playing with!

So now I need to confront this shop and get to the bottom of this. I am wondering if anybody has experienced poor quality work before and how they handled the situation. It's for this very reason that I never have shops do work on something I can do myself (pretty much down to only tire balancing and complex differential stuff right now).

I want to approach this calmly, but make sure I don't get screwed over if they try and get out of doing any work.

So far I will be demanding new tires, these are expensive mud terrains close to $250 a piece, and they are badly cupped and ruined in my opinion because of the uneven wear. And that's just the start, I'm not sure what kind of damage the front wheels wobbling around like that for over 2k miles has done to other suspension parts like ball joints, tie rod ends, steering connecting tie rod ends, etc.

Any advice/tips?

JustJohn

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You'll be doing well to get a full refund. Get documented statements from the other shop on the workmanship failures, calmly provide your evidence and demands to the problem shop. Do not lose your temper.
After they refuse, remain calm and lay out your next steps for them: Letter from lawyer followed by lawsuit.
Likely they will settle at the letter from a lawyer, which I'm afraid you'll have to commit to in order to let them know you're serious.

kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
i had a national 4x4 four parts chain store re gear my diffs. took it back a couple of times, once it got towed back on there dime. They never got it right, i ended up just buying complete axles of cl. lesson learned.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just explain to them basically what you did here. It's not overly complicated work, you just needed it done for the trip so you took it to them. But they obviously didn't properly install the hub bearings and it all started coming apart on your trip. By the time you could have it checked out, the tires were already ruined.

Don't bother asking for a full refund, you'll never get it and probably just piss someone off asking for it. They did all the work, but only botched a portion of it. I'd just ask them to reimburse you for the front tires, since the bearings are already fixed.

If they are honest folks, they will work with you. I wouldn't expect full reimbursement of the tires, but I do think it should happen. If they aren't honest, they aren't going to give you squat and no amount of complaining is going to change it.

That's just my thoughts based on what I saw working in a repair shop for years. Even working in an honest shop, you hear the customer's stories of the other thieving shops.

Boonie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
I had the front end on a 94 GMC rebuilt years ago by a shop here in town. The next day my son and I were going to town, and I lost all steering driving down the road. The wheel just spun. Turns out they left the cotter pin out of the linkage nut, and apparently didn't tighten it. I put it back on, and went back to the shop that did the work. I explained what had happened, and was basically told that it wasn't their fault. They did offer me a free oil change. Needless to say, I have not stepped foot in there since. That could have been really bad for me and my son had we been farther from home. As it was, were happened to be going straight so stopping wasn't a huge issue.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Thanks bucket, that's what I plan on doing, they did a great job on the diff, that's what they're know for, but I think they just got hasty since it was at the end of the day and they wanted to finish the rest of it on time. I'll have them fix those hubs, and would really like new tires, the exact ones are on sale now at walmart for "only" $238 a piece. The current tires have under 5k miles on them and look basically brand new (except for those front ones).
I'm taking it to a shop close to me since I don't feel safe driving it the 1 hour drive to the differential shop, good to have a 3rd party double check all their work and document what went wrong. Hope to be reimbursed for the repair and new tires, but I'll see how that goes...

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Good news! Shop was very honest and stood behind their work 100%, they made the necessary repairs, and also replaced my tires! Still a bit of headache that should have never happened in the first place, but glad they made it up to me. (turned out to be poor workmanship from a rookie mechanic who's no longer there)
And those warn hubs have not been good to me - some manufacturing defect made it impossible to lock the hubs on one side, so the old ones (spicer??) went back in. I also ordered another brand new pair of warn 20990 premium hubs to compare and found the locking mechanism was working on this new pair, but now another problem with just one (would not turn to lock position), so I'm guessing they're having manufacturing problems? Would like to find some oem spicers, but I don't think they can be found anymore. Do hubs wear out or should they theoretically last forever?

here are those new shoes:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hey, that's real good to hear they stood up and took responsibility for what happened. That's a place to recommend to people!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've had trouble locking the left hub (Warn) on my '88 Burb ever since I replaced the hub bearings several years back. The knob turns freely, but then gets tight when you get close to the lock position and won't go the rest of the way. I found that if you turn it most of the way, then move the truck a foot or two, it will click right into the lock position when you turn the knob again. OR, if you wiggle the shaft/u-joint with a big screwdriver while turning the knob, it goes right in.

I've always suspected my spindle bushing is the culprit. But I rarely unlock the hubs, so I've just let it be this whole time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell