What the He!! was I thinking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Was watching an online auction that had a bunch of square body parts trucks yesterday, hoping to get a decent box for my 80. Always wanted a COE, and there were 3 on this sale, so I was watching them too, just for grins. The first two went for a lot less than I expected so I started bidding on the third one, and got it!

Now I have a 5 hour drive to Laramie Wyoming to pick it up. Have to get the winch mounted on the trailer so I don’t have to pul it on with a come-a-long (only been planning to do this forever):rolleyes:

I have a C30 crew cab dally chassis, a C20 chassis, or a Chevy 3/4 ton step van I could use the chassis from, so I guess I’ll be researching the best option, although it will probably be the step van. Would rather not use that because it’s a complete truck, but I don’t have any use for it right now, so that will probably be the donor.

I’ll post more pictures when I actually get it, these are from the auction site (I bought it sight unseen, hope I did ok).

You must be registered for see images attach

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Was watching an online auction that had a bunch of square body parts trucks yesterday, hoping to get a decent box for my 80. Always wanted a COE, and there were 3 on this sale, so I was watching them too, just for grins. The first two went for a lot less than I expected so I started bidding on the third one, and got it!

Now I have a 5 hour drive to Laramie Wyoming to pick it up. Have to get the winch mounted on the trailer so I don’t have to pul it on with a come-a-long (only been planning to do this forever):rolleyes:

I have a C30 crew cab dally chassis, a C20 chassis, or a Chevy 3/4 ton step van I could use the chassis from, so I guess I’ll be researching the best option, although it will probably be the step van. Would rather not use that because it’s a complete truck, but I don’t have any use for it right now, so that will probably be the donor.

I’ll post more pictures when I actually get it, these are from the auction site (I bought it sight unseen, hope I did ok).

I was going to do something similiar at one point in time, I picked up a delaminating motor home cheap for chassis and running gear. Look at one, the wheels look right,the proportions look right,and motorhomes with leaking roofs or delaminating sides are cheap.

Last edited:

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
The first two went for a lot less than I expected so I started bidding on the third one, and got it!

(I bought it sight unseen, hope I did ok).

$$$?

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
THAT'S FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!!! That is really cool. On a side note.... Did you get a decent box for your square?
Well :rolleyes:
The Square or the COE? I gave $1034 (including buyers premium) for the COE, the other two brought around $1500-$1600 each. The square I was bidding on brought around $800, I got out about $575. Squares were bringing decent money, a nice C30 dually with a flatbed only brought about $800, supposedly ran but needed a tranny (granny 4 speed, which I have an extra of), thought about bidding on it, but really don’t need it. Project trucks ran from $2000 on up, clean K5 with no engine or trans but a decent interior brought about $3000. Can’t give exact prices because once the auction ends, the price disappears, unless you are the winner.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size

That is too cool! I love the old GMC trucks!!!
The rear spring setup reminds me of a 3500HD, but the rear axle from them would probably be too wide. Trucks were narrower back in the day.....

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Back when the small car show was happening, it was a fundraiser for a Christian School, the only car show I would go to, anyhow, there was one of these that entered each year and it was cool to see.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Old p chassis motorhome,approximately 5.5 feet center to center on front wheels. 15 ft wheelbase. Documented dealer installed low milage 454. I paid 500 bucks the badass on-board Onan generator was just a bonus.

Attachments

• 20231117_135012.jpg
    20231117_135012.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20231117_140120.jpg
    20231117_140120.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 32

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I was going to do something similiar at one point in time, I picked up a delaminating motor home cheap for chassis and running gear. Look at one, the wheels look right,the proportions look right,and motorhomes with leaking roofs or delaminating sides are cheap.
I bought an old motor home years ago to go under a 39 Ford school bus that I have. The wheelbase is the same as the bus, but unfortunately it is a Dodge running gear.

Actually passed up another one last year for free, but it was also a Dodge, would have grabbed it if it was Chevy powered.

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Old p chassis motorhome,approximately 5.5 feet center to center on front wheels. 15 ft wheelbase. Documented dealer installed low milage 454. I paid 500 bucks the badass on-board Onan generator was just a bonus.
That would make a nice car hauler with a COE vintage cab on it.

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
I bought an old motor home years ago to go under a 39 Ford school bus that I have. The wheelbase is the same as the bus, but unfortunately it is a Dodge running gear.

Actually passed up another one last year for free, but it was also a Dodge, would have grabbed it if it was Chevy powered.
Who cares if it's a different drive train. There's more Chevy SBs in Ford, Dodge, and whatever hot rods than any other engine. Do whatever works and gets it on the road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad