What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skidmark97

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had bought a 44" US General tool box probably 20 years ago and thought it it was a good buy then ,After comparing other boxes it's not even a option to consider another brand I don't feel. The others have ok designs or build quality but none of them compare in my eyes to the US General overall, I did finally give my original box to my son who needed one , Then I picked up a new box for myself and after filling it needed something bigger ,I went and picked up the 56" box a few months later and I am really happy with the larger one that is just as well built as the 44 ." I always waited for a big sale like Thanksgiving or Christmas for the discount on them other wise during the year good sales on them are hard to find, if your wanting the side box that's a nice addition and adds a lot of storage , plus the tool cart is nice for extra space , Here is my 44 and 56 and I would highly recommend them especially to someone starting out,

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Wow, nice box!..(I don't say that to everybody)LOL. When I started out, I bought a used 30" with 4 drawers and carry tray in the top from the Snapon guy. Naturally it was VERY expensive coming off that tool truck, $25 if I remember right. That was a ton of money then! Was working the lube rack at that time. Never did get a huge box but had 2, one at the shop and one at home so I didn't have to pack tools back and forth. Used that old small box for my "race day" tool kit. Now I still have two, both at home just across the alley from one another. Have been dishing out some tools to the grandsons for their rigs and trying to teach them how to care for the tools and the trucks! Some of my tools need to go to our museum, as in "obsolete"!!

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I was walking through Harbor Fright yesterday and saw a US General box that was every bit as fancy as a lot of the Strap-Ons with side cabinets etc. I didn't look at the price because i figured it would be too tempting, but I was amazed at how things have changed.

Once upon a time if you wanted a real pro-quality box that was bigger than a file cabinet your choices were limited and expensive. I have to agree, that if I was starting out today, even as a pro, I would probably be looking at the US Gen box first.

Last edited:

Skidmark97

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes, I agree Ox, for a mechanic starting out ,I feel the US General boxs are a great choice and even if your a full time truck or auto mechanic, they do have something for everyone it seems .I know a lot of mechanics with 6000 dollar tool boxes and several with between 8 and 10000 in them so it's just a lot to pay for storage but the snap on and Mac boxes are definately quality pieces just not usually for your average home mechanic I feel ,

Skidmark97

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here is something I have that helps keep my pliers together , I know mine don't look the best all scattered in my box s,this might be helpful and runs between 12 and 25 dollars on Amazon depending on what manufacturer you get them from

Skidmark97

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If anyone is like me and has had issues with wrench storage and organizing here is my hack for storing some of my wrenches , it's easy to do,plus it replaces the big plastic holders wrenches come on taking up lots of room, all you have to do is take some 10 or 12 ga solid core wire ,I drilled a hole in a 1 inch dowell and then wrapped the wire tight around it , then depending on how many wrenches you want it to hold just do 2 windings per wrench , when your done coiling it just pull it off your wooden dowell and stack your wrenches in it for a cheap easy wrench storage solution, you can even use different colors for Metric and SAE like I did ,so easy it's easy to get the ones you want

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This roll around was made by a union carpenter for a mechanic in the 60s at Goodyear Tire and Rubber in Akron Oh. I still gently use it for a rolling work bench and storage.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Once my new box gets here, these are some of the doodads that I was looking at purchasing to keep it far more organized than my current setup.

I do like what I have seen in the above comments about the US General line of stuff.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Yes, I agree Ox, for a mechanic starting out ,I feel the US General boxs are a great choice and even if your a full time truck or auto mechanic, they do have something for everyone it seems .I know a lot of mechanics with 6000 dollar tool boxes and several with between 8 and 10000 in them so it's just a lot to pay for storage but the snap on and Mac boxes are definitely quality pieces just not usually for your average home mechanic I feel ,

The guy I bought this box from was, and still is, a professional auto mechanic. He made a good living at dealerships and now works for a utility. He said if he had it to do over again he would have skipped a lot of the Strap-On stuff. He agreed they're great tools and boxes, but they're not as great as the price premium on them would suggest. He also said he probably had $40-$50K into the tools and box. He felt he could have done with "other" brand and got by with maybe $10K invested. At the time, the $30-$40K difference was a substantial down payment on a house.

Live and learn.

What I learned was to pick up a $7-$8K box for less than half price. :D

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
We need to start a what tools have you built or modified thread.

Nothing's stopping you.

Except maybe not having pics of any tools you've made that you're willing to show off.

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Put that new undercoating gun that I posted a little while ago to use for the 1st time today. I have to say that I am really impressed with it.

A couple pics of Fluid Film application using it.

Skidmark97

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Looks like your doing a good job midnight, I have used to fluid film under a couple of vehicles and liked it plus it was easy to apply, I did notice it will wear off off InTime and has to be reapplied , I think it is a great way to help protect the underside for about 9 months , I usually reapply once a year before the winter for the best protection especially in the midwest, it will wash off so if you pressure wash the underside of your vehicle it will get removed , I feel it does a good job to help protect your frame and underbody just reapply it yearly for best results

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Forum statistics

Threads
Members