What Fuel Pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Notaworktruck

Reaction score
First Name
Manitou
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Hey! New to the place, seems like a lot of good info so far but I have a question I dont see an answer to when I searched, Im trying to get Truckzilla back on the road after a couple years, and I was using the fuel pump to dump the bad gas out of the tank into a jerry can and its magic smoke escaped.
I pulled the old fuel pump out to try to ID it, and all it has is a sticker saying "Big side + small side - and the flow direction) The real joke is the letters BS are stamped into it, which seems appropriate.

I cant seem to find a hard fast answer for what I need online since im no Numbermancer to figure flow rates etc... I need a recommendation on a new pump, for some specs...
Engine is a 406 smallblock that dyno'd at about 600 a couple decades back with a big holley on it so id guess with the injection setup its in the mid 500s, Its currently got a late model TBI with standalone fuel injection aftermarket setup, running 3/8th fuel line and theres about 7 feet of it including hardline before the engine with an Inline pump. My thinking is I could go with something like the Carter P4601 14psi with 100gph to get near factory specs, but what I dont know is a good flow rate I would need. I may be better off going with a 30psi pump with regulator and bypass? I dont even know lol. Im a Carb guy at heart and this is all confusing to me, any input would be appreciated.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
OK, so it's an aftermarket TBI set up now? I think I'd try first to ID that injection system then find out the fuel pressure requirements and go from there for an aftermarket inline E pump. Not so sure ID'ing the old pump matter a whole bunch unless you're just determined to go back with that same model and type.

Notaworktruck

Reaction score
First Name
Manitou
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Not at all interested in going back to the same model and type, My main concern is getting enough fuel to the beast without blowing out a line or starving it. Its a stock style TBI rig with an aftermarket controller from a few years back (Honestly, I want to go back to a carb, but my dad put the injection on it knowing my last squarebody caught fire because I had some hilarious carb problems lol) and since hes no longer with us, Im a bit lost on original specs. All I know about this rig honestly is that the last thing he said to me was "Dont put crappy oil in my truck" And im having to work backwards from there by throwing money at it :p

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I forget now, is it 16-18lb of PSI for OEM TBI? If that's the case, then I'd just go for whatever your budget can afford and get another 16-18lb inline pump if your not into running one tank and doing an in the tank pump.

But, do keep in mind, an in the tank pump is likely to last longer since the fuel is what helps keep them cooler. Less heat, always makes things last longer.

Notaworktruck

Reaction score
First Name
Manitou
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
OEM Spec on the TBI is 9-11 psi from what I can find, I went with one of the big carter 14psi pumps (Ive had really good luck with carter stuff on previous vehicles) and a gauge to keep an eye on it. I figure shooting a bit above since it has the built in bypass should be fine. Worst case If its too far over I can get a regulator and just cut a Y adapter into the return line... that would be a fun mess. The heat is a concern but thats actually what I love about the hanging pumps, I had one in a 66 dodge under the hood and that pump lasted about 10 years in 3 different vehicles before I gave it to someone because It still worked but it was ugly lol. My THEORY is slightly higher PSI will keep it fed with the pedal down, problem this thing had before with the carb was it would just suck the bowls dry and stall out middle of second gear and that really rains on your parade. Eh ultimately math is hard and testing will see if im stupid or lucky and stupid :D

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Dude. That TRUCKZILLA is BADASS!

I have been advised to the effect that 14 is really kind of high for stock TBI. Some jazz about too much pressure forcing the injectors closed? I'm not familiar enough to say much , about that, but there was definately something to that.
I wouldn't worry about it - too much - at least you'll know where to look! Lol!

Hmm..

Oh! I was talking about dropping in a VORTEX pump and was advised that it produces too much pressure..that's what I'm thinking about.

Notaworktruck

Reaction score
First Name
Manitou
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Yeah, Ive heard a lot of numbers being Too High, IE the 30psi boat motor pumps etc, but an exact number is hard to get. I figure ill just crank the timing way down so it doesnt die instantly if its too lean and go from there lol. Thats why I bought the gauge, if it pegs it at 15 I know I need to start throwing cash at a good regulator, if it stays in the 12-14 are I think itl be good to go.
The original reason I parked it was because an injector got stuck open and it was just pouring fuel out the exhaust, so lets just hope no repeat of that nonsense... Got some good weather for wrenching this weekend so well see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20