water getting into cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1986ChrisK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey Gents,
I noticed a damp carpet in our new to us '86 Silverado 4x4.

I did a little investigating, I believe it is coming in from the vent in kickpanel.
The truck is a a/c truck and was sitting for about nine years. So it has it's share of old leafs/sticks in every cab crevasse.

I have taken air and blown out a TON of debris, but how do check the drain/vent for the kick panel vent? Will I have to take the fender/inner fender off?

Thanks ahead of time. The only cab rust I have is where the carpet has sat wet all them years.

pPlowboy

Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
Both my trucks do the same thing and it is coming from above the vent on the drivers side I have never taken thing apart to find out where it is coming from.

1986ChrisK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
thanks plowboy, I think it maybe coming around the heater box as well as the padding between the cab and it look to be water damaged as well. I will investigate more when I get back home and have time to tear it all apart I guess.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
The lower corners of the windshield gaskets leak once the gaskets get old.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Here is the RH side fresh air plenum - there is a similar setup over by the parking brake for the driver.

There is a flap that can be opened to allow fresh air into the cabin without the use of the blower (or passing through the heater core - blend doors tend to leak and allow some heated air to pass). It just flows into the truck as a function of road speed.

The plenums start at either end of the intake cowling that runs across the truck - under the windshield. They drop down past the flaps (the RH side also has an opening that feeds the blower) and terminate at about the level where the door bottom is.

There is, by design, an opening at the very floor of the trunk to allow any entrained rain, car wash, melted snow that comes in with the fresh air to fall to the ground.
If these get plugged up with rust, leaves, dead mice, etc - the water will rise and eventually spill out of the vent flaps. Poke them out from inside the vestibules with a coat hanger or something similar - or blow up from the bottom with compressed air.

You must be registered for see images attach

These pictures show the drain opening with the fender out of the way. But, even if the fender is not removed, I am pretty sure they can be seen (and poked up into) if the door is moved to about the hafway open position.

Last edited:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Here is the RH side fresh air plenum - there is a similar setup over by the parking brake for the driver.

There is a flap that can be opened to allow fresh air into the cabin without the use of the blower (or passing through the heater core - blend doors tend to leak and allow some heated air to pass). It just flows into the truck as a function of road speed.

The plenums start at either end of the intake cowling that runs across the truck - under the windshield. They drop down past the flaps (the RH side also has an opening that feeds the blower) and terminate at about the level where the door bottom is.

There is, by design, an opening at the very floor of the trunk to allow any entrained rain, car wash, melted snow that comes in with the fresh air to fall to the ground.
If these get plugged up with rust, leaves, dead mice, etc - the water will rise and eventually spill out of the vent flaps. Poke them out from inside the vestibules with a coat hanger or something similar - or blow up from the bottom with compressed air.

These pictures show the drain opening with the fender out of the way. But, even if the fender is not removed, I am pretty sure they can be seen (and poked up into) if the door is moved to about the hafway open position.

I didn't think the AC equipped trucks had the manual vents?

1986ChrisK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
thanks chengny for the information. I will check this out with my truck once the yard dries out some. CSFJ, i have A/C in my truck and the vents are operated by vacuum actuators. I think this is where my water is coming in from, but will most def. check the above information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1