Valve Covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Just curious, will the stock heads on my '87 350 TBI accept perimeter bolt valve covers? They currently have center-bolt style covers.

Thanks!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Just curious, will the stock heads on my '87 350 TBI accept perimeter bolt valve covers? They currently have center-bolt style covers.

Thanks!

No but you can get adapters, I have no idea how they work but I recall looking at them when I was working on my TBI small block.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
No but you can get adapters, I have no idea how they work but I recall looking at them when I was working on my TBI small block.

I found a set by Jegs. It appears the adapters are held on the head using the center bolt mounting holes while providing perimeter bolt holes for the valve covers.

Product + Instructions

Sweet!

Ireally don't understand the vast price difference between the perimeter bolt style and the center bolt style. Seems ridiculous to me.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Eeewww... That means 2 gaskets per head... That could turn into a leaky mess. Any reason you really want the perimeter style covers?

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Eeewww... That means 2 gaskets per head... That could turn into a leaky mess. Any reason you really want the perimeter style covers?

yeah, they are usually cheaper

cbrodine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
...not to mention there are ALOT more options for valve covers with perimeter bolt covers.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Centered bolt valve covers were designed to disperse the tension of the bolts on the valve cover to prevent them from leaking as easy as the old style.

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Cheaper isn't always better guys! Not that my opinion matters in the least but usually a design change is for the better. Not always but usually. As driver said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
And most valvcovers you can get in both centerbolt, and perimeter.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Looking on ebay there are tons and tons of centerbolt options for under $100 new. That adapter you linked to was $150 on its own... Add in the cost of the valve covers and you are looking at over $200 for perimeter covers. IF IT WERE ME: I would get a set of fabricated sbc centerbolt covers for cheap and just go with it. If you want something special then go get them powdercoated for $20. You still haven't reached the price of the adapter plates... This way you spend way less and you have a virtually leak-free situation. Just my 2 cents.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Looking on ebay there are tons and tons of centerbolt options for under $100 new. That adapter you linked to was $150 on its own... Add in the cost of the valve covers and you are looking at over $200 for perimeter covers. IF IT WERE ME: I would get a set of fabricated sbc centerbolt covers for cheap and just go with it. If you want something special then go get them powdercoated for $20. You still haven't reached the price of the adapter plates... This way you spend way less and you have a virtually leak-free situation. Just my 2 cents.

I guess I need to do some more looking around then. Jegs has a a few options of which most are $150+. Then I see the perimeter type for under $100. I understand the difference, just not the vast difference in price.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Dude stay off jegs. You don't need overpriced name brand for a set of valve covers. There were a TON of used/new centerbolt covers on ebay for well under $100. Any design you like. Stamped, fabricated, chrome, black, ribbed, etc. Don't over think it and spend too much $$$!!!!

Or if you find a set of expensive name brand ones you like, then see if you can find them used on ebay, or search the part number and they may be cheaper new even. I do that all the time. Instead of spending over $35 on a belt I got the exact same brand/# belt on ebay for $14 shipped. Do some looking around, and try to stay away from the parts magazines, they over charge like a ****!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB