ValueTrac positraction ?????? never heard of it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Im looking for a posi for my 2003 silverado which as a 8.5 rear diff.

and i saw this valuetrac posi on rock auto for $244 and iv never heard of it..

anyone got any info?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Allegedly supposed to be a Tru-Trac that didn't meet spec but in actuality it is made by U.S.A. Standard Gear. I'm unsure if USA SG is actually made in the U.S., it would be a real **** if it wasn't. I have a set of USA SG ring & pinions in the rear of my truck, not enough miles on them to let you know if I think they're any good or not but the price was right. given the time and expense of setting up a ring & pinion I don't know if I would want to go with anything with "value in its name. If the price isn't that much different I would just go with the Detroit Tru-Trac for piece of mind.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm not real fond of the unit. Never experienced one myself, but when its rated at 31in tires max, only comes with a 90 day warranty direct from the Manufactuer who is Standard Gear, that tells me they don't back it up very well themselves. Have you ever considered a LockRight Locker? They are a cheaper locker unit, not a posi, but a locker, rated up to 35in tires and/or 350hp. Its made by Its brand name is PowerTrax by Richmond Gear. If you want a good posi unit, Auburn unit is probably the best bang for the buck as far as quality vs price. As far as lockers go, Detroit Locker is the best money can buy, but its about $500 or so, where that LockRight unit is about $300.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Never did like a lock-right, with their clickety, poppety noise, broken pins, etc. Dont forget about Eaton, if you got the money. I read some more about the Value-Trac, supposedly made in the same facilities, by the same people, with the same materials as the Detroit Tru-Trac. Essentially a copy of the worm gear style LSD. Might not be a terribly bad unit if you plan on sticking with smaller tires. But I did read they make more oversteer (push).

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
True, the price you pay for a locker is the noise. Usually if you a stereo on, a blower motor running, or flowmaster exhuast you won't hear the rear end noise. And its only noisy when backing up, or turning corners. I prefer lockers over limited slips.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Never did like a lock-right, with their clickety, poppety noise, broken pins, etc. Dont forget about Eaton, if you got the money. I read some more about the Value-Trac, supposedly made in the same facilities, by the same people, with the same materials as the Detroit Tru-Trac. Essentially a copy of the worm gear style LSD. Might not be a terribly bad unit if you plan on sticking with smaller tires. But I did read they make more oversteer (push).

If you do the Powertraxx instead of the Lock-Right, the site says "A precise synchronization mechanism eliminates the ratcheting sounds typical of other locking differentials."

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
It's not really ratcheting, I would prefer ratcheting sounds. The Lock-Right in mud races sounds like things are going wrong. Random popping sounds, etc and I have read enough from Jeepers who have sheared the pins more than once and have to drop the $30 or so for a spring and pin kit. Spool it and be done with it!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It's not really ratcheting, I would prefer ratcheting sounds. The Lock-Right in mud races sounds like things are going wrong. Random popping sounds, etc and I have read enough from Jeepers who have sheared the pins more than once and have to drop the $30 or so for a spring and pin kit. Spool it and be done with it!

I'd never spool a vehicle to be driven on pavement unless its a drag strip. However, I am thinking of spooling my front axle on the 85K1500 since I can unlock the hubs. If I decide I might need the front wheel drive in bad weather on pavement I can just lock in one hub. If its deeper snow or ice, then I can lock them both in. On the 85K10, that I want to convert to 3/4 ton axles, I'm thinking of Detroit Locker in the rear, and LSD in the front. That's a ways off, so I'll see how I like the spool in the front of the 85K1500 first. Might just spool them both. No to worry about springs, or clutches, or wedges, or governors stripping, breaking or wearing out.

bobehud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
91' with early 80's drivetrain
Truck Model
Suburban K3500
Engine Size
454 carbed
Hey HR if you lock that rear a LS in the front ..or a nice locker front and rear.. did a front locker on my CJ before i did the rear,in fact i got rid of it without ever doing the rear.

And you couldn't be more right spools or welded axles are not for the street_yes im sure everyone knows someone who did it_ i do to i have driven a big monster
Dodge 82' total 9 in lift and even simple turns sucked..they just dont squeal they hop,bounce,stutter,etc.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hey HR if you lock that rear a LS in the front ..or a nice locker front and rear.. did a front locker on my CJ before i did the rear,in fact i got rid of it without ever doing the rear.

And you couldn't be more right spools or welded axles are not for the street_yes im sure everyone knows someone who did it_ i do to i have driven a big monster
Dodge 82' total 9 in lift and even simple turns sucked..they just dont squeal they hop,bounce,stutter,etc.

And more than hop, bounce, stutter etc, they also break axles, U-joints and wear tires out very quick. Off road tires are expensive enough as it is, then when you get any of size its even worse. I just don't see myself having a spool or Lincoln Locker. I think C4 is still running a lincoln locker.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I think C4 is still running a lincoln locker.
Yep. It aint for everybody, but my truck is no daily driver either. Given the choice between a $700 locker or a $200 spool, for MY truck it's spool all the way! BTW never had the hop/bounce/stutter, just a deep, not-so-loud squall. Probably has to do with the TSLs, I'm sure if it had more rubber contacting the road it would be different. If you take a turn wide enough it's not an issue.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

Every Dodge truck I owned in the past did that ****. :roflbow:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado