Turning Odometer Forward

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
So I'd like to turn an odometer forward from appx. 175,000 miles to appx 247,000 miles. The odometer that's in the car now is an old ten thousands place odometer, and the one going in there is a hundred thousands place odometer. I know the true mileage even with a ten thousands place odometer because of an extensive Carfax report dating to the fall of 1986, this car has long been exempt from odometer declaration laws in Mississippi, and I have no desire to sell it at any time in the near or distant future. I just want it to read true mileage so I can keep up with it. Now that all that's out of the way, does anyone know how I can turn this thing forward quickly? I know I can use a drill bit and electric drill, but that's gonna take a VERY long time. I can take it to someone, but I'd rather do it myself. It's for my Caprice. I'm doing a 9C1 cluster and cutting the dash to do the auxiliary instruments. If anyone has advice on the cluster or cutting the dash, please help me out. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 167

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
This is what the auxiliary gauges are supposed to look like in a real police car, which is what I want mine to look like when done. Unless you got the gauge package, most of these cars came with speedo, fuel, and lots of dummy lights.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 122

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
"The Federal odometer law, 49 U.S.C. Chapter 327 (Public Law 103-272), prohibits the disconnection, resetting, or alteration of a motor vehicle's odometer with intent to change the number of miles indicated thereon."

I realized that this might come across as a taboo topic when I posted it. Understand that even though I would be altering the displayed miles, it would be to match, not change, the true mileage shown by what's in there now. I mean, I know it's fine print and self-interpretation of the law, but if I just threw the new cluster in there without doing that, I practically clocked it back about 75,000 miles, which is illegal under the aforementioned law and provable. Per the Carfax, the car had around 183,000 miles back in '09, and if the cluster says 175,000 then that to me is way fisher than turning it ahead to show the correct numbers. I'm not a scammer, a criminal, or a chop shop. I'm aware of the law, but it's all subjective. Unless I just discard the idea of the whole swap completely, I'm challenging the law in some way and just doing it differently.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have done one of the square body odos to match donor spedo to original. Basically took fully apart and then assambled the gears with numbers facing as desired.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
There is a legal/compliant process for swapping clusters and changing odometer meter readings, where all the changes are properly recorded with DMV so that any future owner is aware of the change. However, I don't know how that would differ with an older vehicle where you no longer need to make an odometer declaration when you sell it.

The biggest challenge of this question is the DMV clerks who give you the quick "you can't do that" answer. What you need to find is someone who knows exactly how to do it while keeping the proper documentation. It is not illegal if you comply with the law and document it properly.

Bruce

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
On these old trucls who cares not like your sellin a 71 chevelle ss trying to say it has 30k original miles i doubt the dmv police are gonna hunt ya down

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
On these old trucls who cares not like your sellin a 71 chevelle ss trying to say it has 30k original miles i doubt the dmv police are gonna hunt ya down

Exactly. I didn't want to do the stuff with the drill so I talked to the mechanic I use once in a while. He said he can disassemble the odometer, turn it up to the mileage I want, and put it back together in thirty minutes. Welcome to Mississippi, folks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli