Transmission problem just went out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldGrump

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Hi Ya'll...I'm brand new to the forum and to working on my old truck
1978 K25 GMC Full time four wheel drive

I just bought the truck and drove it 70 miles home with no issues. I decided to test the four wheel lock in the back of the property and all work fine, pulled up to the house and tried to take it back out, which I've done several times and heard what soud like a chain slapping under the floor board and then nothing. I cannot go forward or reverse nor and it does not matter if I place the slector in 4H H 4L L

Thoughts?

Thanks all

OldGrump

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So it's obvously an NP203 Tcase since you mentnon 4L or L and said it's Full Time. It's in auto trans category, so must be a Th350 trans married to a NP203 Tcase.

So did you actually break the Chain in the Tcase, or did you break a U Joint? On the Full time Tcase, it works like a rear end differential, so if you lost your front driveline or drivetrain, including an axle the truck isn't going to move unless you are in 4L Loc or 4H Loc. So I'd put the Tcase in 4? Loc and see if the truck moves. If it does, then you have either a front or rear drivetrain issue. If not, then I'd next suspect the chain in the Tcase since you mentioned it sounded as if a chain was slapping.

OldGrump

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Thanks for the quick reply. I started the truck up again and this time I could not place it into L or Low lock, so I noticed I was on a slight hill and little roll back in Neutral and tried L and it started working. I drove it back around to level ground and tried H and it started working and the metal slapping sound stopped. I must have had it out of balance or something...not really sure.

Again thank you for you help!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm thinking you might have excessive slack or slop in your Tcase chain. I'd take it easy on the Tcase until I was prepared to find another Tcase or have that one worked on.

BTW, Weclome to GMSB OG.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd try lubing and adjusting the t-case shifter. Has somebody installed front locking hubs?

OldGrump

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
The truck/transfer case is bone stock.
I do plan on changing the oil in the case, as I do not have a maintenance history on the truck.

thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay Don