Transmission for 79 K10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So, like many things, I know nothing about transmissions. I'm trying to get my 79 K10 in good running order. My truck currently has a small block 350 with an RV cam. What transmission should I look for?

I'm having an issue with my current transmission as it does not want to go into reverse without a fight. I put tranny fluid in it which fixes it for a week or so, then back to having almost no reverse gear.

I know there are multiple different options for transmissions, but I'm not looking for anything fancy. Just something that will work well and won't have any issues with towing.

Sorry for sounding uneducated/incompetent, but I'm trying to learn.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
TH400 It doesn't need anything but a vacuum line and a shifter. It is super tuff and will last a long time.

Only draw back is that it does not have a lock up torque converter. So you will lose a little bit of mpg's but almost negligible in reality.

The other options:

TH350 which is a good transmission and can be had with a lock up torque converter. Its draw back is that it requires a kick down cable and is not as tuff as the TH400

700r4 really not a tranny made for towing but it has OD for great fuel economy. It is a transmission with a lot of issues though and requires the use of a TV cable which can be very finicky and if not adjusted right can/will burn up your transmission.

For an automatic to use for towing I would go with the TH400 every time.

As for manual transmissions basically there is the SM465 which is a very tuff gear box.

Doesn't really have any draw backs except that like all the 3 spd transmissions it lacks on OD gear.

Or you could retro fit either a 4L80E automatic or an NV4500 manual

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Great thank you! Saved again by Mad!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk