Thick black/red tint sticky stuff on fuel line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taylorb27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
As the title says I've got this blackish with a red tint substance on the inlet and outlet of my fuel filter. It's super sticky and doesn't smell like anything. It's thicker and stickier than anything I've seen in a tank.
I don't have any sediment in my fuel filter but the fuel is somewhat yellowish, even though I've been through a tank and a half. It doesn't have a slight miss at idle and I'm wondering if this has something to do with it. I just started noticing this recently so I haven't checked plugs or anything out.
Mainly wondering what this crap is? Doesn't really look like varnish but maybe.. not sure why I'm not seeing it in the filter though. Just seeping out of the ends of the hose where it's cut to clamp to each side of the filter and Id imagine at the carb inlet too.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I hate those filters. They always leak for me. Speaking of leak, maybe its the ethanol content in the fuel eating at the rubber? Havent seen anything quite that color but I have seen hoses melting away and decomposing essentially. Not much you can do about that besides buy a modern hose meant to withstand the composition of the fuel or buy the corn-free stuff if they sell it by you.

Then again, I may be 100% wrong and your fuel system has a runny nose lol.

Taylorb27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I hate those filters. They always leak for me. Speaking of leak, maybe its the ethanol content in the fuel eating at the rubber? Havent seen anything quite that color but I have seen hoses melting away and decomposing essentially. Not much you can do about that besides buy a modern hose meant to withstand the composition of the fuel or buy the corn-free stuff if they sell it by you.

Then again, I may be 100% wrong and your fuel system has a runny nose lol.

Lol I've had pretty good luck with it as far as not leaking. It is oozing that out of each clamp point. And the hose is rated for ethanol. Not sure the quality it was from o'reilly's. Their individual packaged chunks of 2 foot hose

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
maybe its varnish from old gas and previous sitting from the metal lines as well as some microorganisms and other sludges that the fresh gas is solvent and pushing out of the line, coming out at an orifice when the pressure of the run jams it out of the first thing to give. or something.

id see something similar on old fuel and sitting, then using fresh gas. but this was on a lawn mower. it wasnt ethanol either. but i suppose over 40 years that could build up. this was a 1979 lawn mower

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000