thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allan Johnson

Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
without takin it apart first,how do i know if i need a thermostat with the runner ring or the one that uses gasket,its a 1977 c15 2 whell drive with the 350 eng,4 barrel carb,thanks

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You will need the gasket.

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If the engine does not maintain a steady temp such as 195 degrees when warm, you need a thermostat.
I replace the thermostat, hoses, flush the cooling system and replace with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze/coolant and water whenever a buy a used vehicle. Also, it never hurts to do a pressure check on the cooling system.
Cooling system maintenance is very cheap insurance.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Stock thermostat housing and most of the common intake manifolds use the flat gasket and two bolts. Also buy some Permatex sealer and use it on the gasket to get a good seal. Don’t get carried away with tightening the bolts. If you see some drips later on the intake it’s probably leaking around the worm clamp on the hose. Just tighten that hose clamp down some more.

Stock thermostat was a 195 degree and I would stick with that. For a little more money ($5-$6 more) you can get a high flow thermostat and it’s worth it. With a stock thermostat it’s good to drill a 1/8” bypass hole in the rim to prevent trapping air during warmup.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Stock thermostat housing and most of the common intake manifolds use the flat gasket and two bolts. Also buy some Permatex sealer and use it on the gasket to get a good seal. Don’t get carried away with tightening the bolts. If you see some drips later on the intake it’s probably leaking around the worm clamp on the hose. Just tighten that hose clamp down some more.

Stock thermostat was a 195 degree and I would stick with that. For a little more money ($5-$6 more) you can get a high flow thermostat and it’s worth it. With a stock thermostat it’s good to drill a 1/8” bypass hole in the rim to prevent trapping air during warmup.
Very GOOD info, Bruce!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Offrode